By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 19 - Game Thread

theRepublic said:

I'm not sure this is entirely about you failing to read the OP.  I'm pro-town.  The way my PM is worded, it leads me to believe that I am on the side of Zeus.  I know you read your PM, because the first thing you said was you had your role.

I would like to hear if other players have similar thoughts about their role.

I was under the same assumption until I read my pm carefully.

From what I understand (and I'm paraphrasing)  I need to find Kratos so he may serve the Gods again. 

I think the protown are referred to as Gods in the pms. I highly doubt I'm in an allegiance with Zeus. 

Also I have reason to believe that character roles and alignments are likely related. Remember, unlike the Street Fighter game, we don't have a list of players so there's more room for lying ... and I'm sure the mod was well aware of that when he made the game.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Khuutra said:

I mean to say characters and ALIGNMENT may be unrelated. Since Kratos was the hero but is apparently a serial killer, here.

This has been bugging me since I first read it, but it's only now that I figured out why.  For my peace of mind, could you please explain the reasoning behind this train of thought again, Khuutra?

I tend to operate on the assumption that character alignment translates into pro/anti-town alignment. It's a relic of older games I played in, where if you were Volvagia then it was because you ate baby Gorons and if you were the Deku Princess then you were being held captive by Odolwa (yes, all my old Mafia games were Zelda themed).

Operative assumption concerning God of War is that the perspective is Kratos's; I didn't read the OP, and didn't notice that this isn't the case. GoW3_ever has kind of surprised me in framing the destructive forces moving against Olympus as Mafia and Zeus himself as Town - which is to say, Olympus is the status quo. Apparently.

I add in apparently here because even that may not be true.

Now, that operative assumption - that Kratos is the protagonist - would mean Zeus is the antagonist. Ergo, if Kratos is not the protagonist, then Zeus may not be the antagonist if only because alignments aren't necessarily related.

But even that doesn't work - if we take Zeus as the anchor of perspective here, then the bad guys are anything that acts against the status quo of Olympus - which is to say, Kratos, the Titans, the Barbarian King, potentially Hades (depending on how literal mythological interpretations get), Athena, Pandora, Hepheastos, heroes who tried to change their fate against the will of Zeus (so Icarus but not Daedalus, Perseus but not Thesus, and DEFINITELY not Hercules) are all potential antagonists.

Because as of the second game Zeus was a paranoid lunatic.

Sorry. I went off on a tangent.

Listen, point is this: my natural inclination, at this point, is to distrust the enemies of Zeus. We already know Kratos is anti-Town. Gaia would be an enemy of Zeus. I don't know if Cronos and Atlas would count, since they're pressed into servitude (though they hate him so). Persephone hates Zeus too - a lot. It goes on and on.

I have to consciously push this logic aside. It presents a lot of possibilities for who stands as Mafia.

All that's assuming that the perspective presented in the OP is the perspective of the Town - which Kratos's alignment (and Athena's) would seem to suggest.

I'm not Kratos

Also, I believe Republic is innocent. Our pms sound too similar to be a coincidence. 

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

patapon said:

I'm not Kratos

THank you for answering my question

Around the Network
patapon said:

I'm not Kratos

I don't speak on behalf of all the other players but I'm willing to give you a break since this is your first game 'n all.

There is a golden rule in mafia: " Lynch all liars."

My gut tells me your scum and to lynch you but I want to see what others have to say.

Khuutra said:
patapon said:

I'm not Kratos

THank you for answering my question

I'm sorry there was such a delay. I needed to consult with someone before proceeding in this discussion.

hatmoza said:
theRepublic said:

I'm not sure this is entirely about you failing to read the OP.  I'm pro-town.  The way my PM is worded, it leads me to believe that I am on the side of Zeus.  I know you read your PM, because the first thing you said was you had your role.

I would like to hear if other players have similar thoughts about their role.

I was under the same assumption until I read my pm carefully.

From what I understand (and I'm paraphrasing)  I need to find Kratos so he may serve the Gods again. 

I think the protown are referred to as Gods in the pms. I highly doubt I'm in an allegiance with Zeus. 

Also I have reason to believe that character roles and alignments are likely related. Remember, unlike the Street Fighter game, we don't have a list of players so there's more room for lying ... and I'm sure the mod was well aware of that when he made the game.

Mine doesn't say Gods.

What mine said was pretty conspicuous, so it gave me the impression that other pro-town roles might have similar wording.  Apparently, I was wrong.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

hatmoza said:
patapon said:

I'm not Kratos

I don't speak on behalf of all the other players but I'm willing to give you a break since this is your first game 'n all.

There is a golden rule in mafia: " Lynch all liars."

My gut tells me your scum and to lynch you but I want to see what others have to say.

Thank you all merciful one

theRepublic said:

Mine doesn't say Gods.

What mine said was pretty conspicuous, so it gave me the impression that other pro-town roles might have similar wording.  Apparently, I was wrong.

This is very interesting to know, but-

There's a rule about quoting your role PM for a reason, guys. Like everyone name-claiming all at once, it would ruin the game. Talking about specific wording in your PMs is in violation of that rule.

I understand it was innocent (so to speak) but we should move away from that sort of thing.

Not that I believe you, Republic, are necessarily innocent. This would be a very interesting feint-within-a-feint.