By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mass Effect Sales - Bioware Marketing Manager

Or it could mean he was a forum manager who didn't have the authority to share that kind of info, or something. We will see.

also to call this site near as accurate as npd.. I find that pretty stupid honestly, I enjoy the site and check it regularly, and appreciate what is being done, but when you see figures change around by thousands to even a hundred thousand because of various errors or miscalculations, you know the site has a long ways to go. I like vgcharts based on its potential, but right now I would not be confident to list it's weekly data as accurate, but only the archived data months in advance.

This doesn't mean I don't want vgcharts to be accurate, I just think they will have overshot and undershot a LOT of stuff, vgcharts became most accurate when the sales became easier to predict, with the recent radical spikes and releases it will likely prove that vgcharts still needs to refine its process. In this case, hopefully mass effect sold much better then what is being claimed on the site.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

Around the Network

Well the numbers wherent that low ... but what did they expect ... its not a maihamic FPS , so of course it wont sell so good :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Ya, kind of surprising that ME sold less than 200k in its opening week. Even if it is higher as buddy states, it's probably not going to be THAT much higher. A game of that caliber SHOULD sell more. That's us a consumers responsibility. So, saying that, if you haven't bought the game yet, do so NOW!

Just kiss the tip.

It could be higher, but without numbers from Bioware all we can do is wait for NPD. I hope it does well, but there really isn't much to discuss here. It could be 2K units higher for all the info he bothered to give.

sinha said:
While I'm sure it's probably true that vgchartz has underestimated Mass Effect sales to some extent, the response to this Bioware comment should be the same as when Sony makes similar statements: if you have a problem with the numbers, give the public the correct numbers.

This "I can't share the real numbers" BS is no different from when Sony said they couldn't release the real sales numbers until after NPD.
Both Sony and Bioware CAN share the numbers if they really want to, there's no law against it last time I checked.

Exactly Sinha, you hit the nail on the head. I don't like when companies refute sales numbers without giving hard numbers. They have the estimates, release them or shut up about it. Mass Effect is my favorite game of the year thus far as well BTW.

Around the Network
goldenpp72 said:
Or it could mean he was a forum manager who didn't have the authority to share that kind of info, or something. We will see.

also to call this site near as accurate as npd.. I find that pretty stupid honestly, I enjoy the site and check it regularly, and appreciate what is being done, but when you see figures change around by thousands to even a hundred thousand because of various errors or miscalculations, you know the site has a long ways to go. I like vgcharts based on its potential, but right now I would not be confident to list it's weekly data as accurate, but only the archived data months in advance.

This doesn't mean I don't want vgcharts to be accurate, I just think they will have overshot and undershot a LOT of stuff, vgcharts became most accurate when the sales became easier to predict, with the recent radical spikes and releases it will likely prove that vgcharts still needs to refine its process. In this case, hopefully mass effect sold much better then what is being claimed on the site.

well thanks for calling me pretty stupid, me saying it's close was simply refering to the monthly comparisons made that show their figures to be within 15-20% and quite often even closer to the NPD numbers. That's good enough for me, as I'm looking at these figures as market indicators, watching trends, and see what franchises and genres will get more surpport in the future. for example if ME did sell 20% more, I'd be happy yet that'll take it to what? 235,000 in sales(for the first week), that doesn't really change it's image in MS, EA, or Bioware's eyes, and therefore won't change it in mine, and hence in that light I call that near as accurate.

well sometimes the site is in range with npd to that extent, but i've seen it be WAY off before as well. It's like me saying I owe you 100 bucks but I give you 60 bucks, I might add the other 40 later on but at the moment it isn't quite what was expected.

I know some diehards here actually are silly enough to debate npd being less reliable then vgcharts though, so it's probably a lost cause even daring to say vgcharts is not accurate at the moment. I take all numbers here as user level estimates until their adjusted accordingly basically, and when seeing how 50k or more units of hardware get randomally added because of press releases, it is at this point you know the site really isn't there quite yet.

I just find it silly for one to use this site to declare a winner (outside of the wii) for a specific week or to declare one game a success or bomb. When npd comes out there will likely be many VERY large differences and they will likely be adjusted here. I expect mass effect to be in the 400-500k range for npd (I think it's 2 weeks tracked anyways)

More to the point, I find it annoying that some of the users here are near cult level, calling people who don't trust the numbers 'detractors' for instance is actually kind of disturbing in my mind, people doubt the numbers because they see them constantly adjusted to fit other sources numbers.

I still love the site for other reasons, it's more unified then any other site and it does become accurate eventually, sorry I just had a little annoyance seeing someone mention once again how someone may dare question the validity of vgcharts figures.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

Maybe the marketing manager is comparing their "Sales to Stores" to vgchartz "Sales to Customers"

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

I think what happened here is that the guy looked at their numbers, looked at our nubmers, and said they don't match. The thing is that we don't know what date their numbers are current for, and he sure seemed like he didn't know anything about our numbers. It's very possible that he was comparing different numbers, and there is no real conflict here.

goldenpp72 said:
well sometimes the site is in range with npd to that extent, but i've seen it be WAY off before as well. It's like me saying I owe you 100 bucks but I give you 60 bucks, I might add the other 40 later on but at the moment it isn't quite what was expected.

I know some diehards here actually are silly enough to debate npd being less reliable then vgcharts though, so it's probably a lost cause even daring to say vgcharts is not accurate at the moment. I take all numbers here as user level estimates until their adjusted accordingly basically, and when seeing how 50k or more units of hardware get randomally added because of press releases, it is at this point you know the site really isn't there quite yet.

I just find it silly for one to use this site to declare a winner (outside of the wii) for a specific week or to declare one game a success or bomb. When npd comes out there will likely be many VERY large differences and they will likely be adjusted here. I expect mass effect to be in the 400-500k range for npd (I think it's 2 weeks tracked anyways)

More to the point, I find it annoying that some of the users here are near cult level, calling people who don't trust the numbers 'detractors' for instance is actually kind of disturbing in my mind, people doubt the numbers because they see them constantly adjusted to fit other sources numbers.

I still love the site for other reasons, it's more unified then any other site and it does become accurate eventually, sorry I just had a little annoyance seeing someone mention once again how someone may dare question the validity of vgcharts figures.

I'm not that die-hard I don't even think ioi is. That's one thing I like about this site is it's honest about it's numbers. I guess this season will be a real test of it's numbers, I'm interested in finding out the difference from the npd figures. I do think though they make an honest attempt at the figures and it's kind of annoying on the other end of the spectrum when other sites claim vgchartz pulls numbers from their butt.

Anyway I'd love to see Mass Effect score 500K for it's first 2 weeks.