By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What does PS3 need to do to Comeback?

nothing

they are doing very good

in future they have plenty of stuff:

GT5

many price cuts

many big exclusives

I think wii should concern more about making a comback atm and 360 after the SLIM/REACH effect ends

Around the Network

I think  this kind of threads should be forbidden until the move and kinect release

The question is....do they need to come back at all ?

The 360 is selling truckloads, but it is primarily because of the console re-design in the slow summer months that has even made it outsell the Wii !!!

How long will that last ?

Even if it does last for a long time (this will probably be the 360's peak year), it doesn't mean PS3 sales are bad by any stretch of imagination.

In fact, this gen has been extremely competitive and I don't think Sony would mind 3rd place if they sell 50 million consoles.

Since the PS3 has been the same price for almost a year now, retailers will probably offer special deals come this holiday and PS3 will see strong holiday sales even though it may not match the sales of the 360.

PS3 sales aren't bad, it's just that 360 sales are much higher than they've been so far. PS3 will probably experience a similar, although not necessarily an exactly similar, boost when its price drops like $50/50€.

Also, Gran Turismo 5 ought to be a huge help. The so-called demo has sold more than most PS3 games, I believe the series is still very strong even if it isn't as strong as it used to be. It's definitely the biggest Playstation exclusive series right now. Well, ever, not just now.

Anyway, to increase sales, increase value. Either much stuff with PS3, better software (like Gran Turismo), or cut the price. They all increase value, in reverse order to what I said. Depending on Sony's strategy, they could cut price this year but I doubt it since they probably want to maximize profits after a long time. Next year, however, it's bound to happen. Software is fine, they have constantly a great lineup of games coming. GT5 is the biggest though, after that I'm not so sure there are any system-sellers. And more stuff, well, I suppose Move could go into that category, sort of. Sony is sure to release some great bundles as well. A GT5 bundle would move tons of consoles.

Nothing right now, who cares if the 360 expands its lead by a marginal amount in the coming months? It's way too early for another price drop, they just dropped it to 300 bucks LAST YEAR, another price drop sends the wrong message at this point.

The PS3 needs to bide its time and hold out for GT5. The one thing Sony needs to do in order to ensure that the 360 doesn't defeat it is to advertise the hell out of Move. Microsoft has been getting a lot of free press with Kinect, so Sony needs to let the consumers know that their product is better than the competition's.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network

As I have stated many times in different threads I think that the 10 weeks of the Holidays in 2010 will be:

Wii>P.S.3>360

So to answer your question Sony needs to do nothing extra to start outselling the 360 again. In my opinion the 360Slim is mainly selling to already 360 owners which won't last and will die before the Holiday's. With big games such as LittleBigPlanet 2, and Gran Turismo 5 and maybe Move Sony should be ahead of Microsoft again in no time.

PS3 price cut and stick to one model, advertise, relaese another block buster IP, stop holding back and show there true strength, back catalog 5th/6th gen games, and maybe a few bundles.

Comeback? Comeback from what?

A time machine. In reality tho, I think they can't do much to comeback because anything that Sony does, MS will counter it. Price drop would help sales but for how long.

The PS3 is doing fine.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)