By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What does PS3 need to do to Comeback?

Find a peaceful burying place!

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmm.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

PS3 is fine right now, a 199$ Slimer PS3 would be Microsoft nightmare but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Move and Kinect could change everything.

Move in September, 160/320 price cuts in October, GT5 in November shall keep the momentum going nicely.

Comeback from what? The PS3 is up year over year from 2009 just like they were in 2009 from 2008.

Furthermore, as the PS3 stands it is the console built to last another 4 years and more (if Nintendo does not start the next gen race in the next year or two).

In comparison to the 360 and Wii, I see only positives for the PS3. The 360 is great, but give it another year or two and it's games will look like Super Mario Bros. 3 to the PC's Half-life. The Wii is on the decline as, I believe, those who wanted it have already got it. Furthermore, looking at the 2011 software lineups for the three consoles, the PS3 has the best lineup by a longshot.

Sleep with the Xbox 360s mom. That way when Xbox 360 brags about stealing PS3s wife, PS3 can have a good comeback.

Tease.

Around the Network

To ship 15 million units in the Fiscal and crush Xbox they need to drop the price to $250 in September. And they will.

Squilliam said:

Sleep with the Xbox 360s mom. That way when Xbox 360 brags about stealing PS3s wife, PS3 can have a good comeback.

Don't forget that the PS3 needs to sleep with LeBron's mama.

CGI-Quality said:
binary solo said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Musts: $50 Price Cut and bring 160-320gb models(including White 160gb model) to America and Others

Not needed but would help: announce Resistance 3 and ICO and SOTC HD, Splinter Cell Trilogy HD, Prince of Persia Trilogy HD

Announcements don't sell consoles. Resistance 3 being the 3rd game in the series won't sell consoles. Ico and SOTC were niche games on PS2, they'll be niche on PS3. Dunno anything about Splinter Cell trilogy, but by the looks of the SC games already on PS3 it probably wouldn't do much for HW sales. PoP seems like a franchise past its time.

Sony doesn't need to do anything right now, given 360 is enjoying a pre-holiday boost from its clearance sale and new sku. And it would seem that Wii is suffering more from 360's high sales than PS3. 360 will ride that wave into the Spet/Oct period when sales start climbing naturally (360 will more or less stay at it's end of Aug sales level) and both Wii and PS3 will reel it back in as their sales also start to rise to meet and in the case of Wii at least, over take it. Reach will have a 2 week boost affect at most, and it won't be huge like the 360s launch. It'll come down to whether Kinect moves HW or whether it mostly sells to existing 360 owners. Once Sony knows what effect Kinect has on 360 sales it can then decide what it needs to do to keep get back to growing it's market share.

Makes sense.

yeah i think your right, no need for a price cut at the moment. even if 360 outsells PS3 this year, it wont be a fatal blow. personally i think move needs to be cheaper to encourage on the fence potential buyers. the big thing that could change the game completely is if exclusive IPs like Mass Effect were to come over to the PS3. the reason i say ME because microsoft sold EA the distribution rights and EA arent interested in exclusives, not to mention the game hasnt been a system seller on the 360. other than that, EPIC did also mention they regret having an exclusive contract with microsoft for Gears... so i think that if Portal 2 proves to be a success on PS3, we could be in for some supprises next year!!!

The_God_of_War said:

Move in September, 160/320 price cuts in October, GT5 in November shall keep the momentum going nicely.

Yeah, this seems like the most likely response from Sony. Here's my comment from this week's sales and marketshare article.

By the end of August PS3 will be up YOY by about 2 million. In September 2009 PS3 sold about 1.6 million. In the same month the 360 sold about 700k, an average of about 140k per week. As the summer slump comes to an end sales naturally begin to increase and the PS3 has been tracking significantly ahead of 360's 2009 sales so even under normal circumstances I would expect it to average around 150k-170k in September. But this will be far from a normal month, Move is releasing and in America the SKU shift is likely to happen so sales could be closer to 180k per week, 900k for the month and a loss of only about 700k-750k YOY. In October 2009 PS3's average weekly sales were about 250k. Normally as the holiday approaches sales in October increase from September so 200k wouldn't be too unlikely but this is when a price cut is most likely to happen in PAL so overall October could be an up month and in all likelyhood could make PS3 the #1 selling home console that month. And then at the start of November we have GT5 which I'm willing to bet will ensure an up, or at least flat, holiday.

To expound on that slightly I think sales could see an even bigger increase in September if Sony brings the white console to the states. And this whole scenario could be thrown out the window if Sony throws a curve ball at Gamescon and has the current models reduced to the price of whatever the RRP of the 160 and 320 will be in October. I'm guessing 270 euros and 220 pounds.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

A203D said:
CGI-Quality said:
binary solo said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Musts: $50 Price Cut and bring 160-320gb models(including White 160gb model) to America and Others

Not needed but would help: announce Resistance 3 and ICO and SOTC HD, Splinter Cell Trilogy HD, Prince of Persia Trilogy HD

Announcements don't sell consoles. Resistance 3 being the 3rd game in the series won't sell consoles. Ico and SOTC were niche games on PS2, they'll be niche on PS3. Dunno anything about Splinter Cell trilogy, but by the looks of the SC games already on PS3 it probably wouldn't do much for HW sales. PoP seems like a franchise past its time.

Sony doesn't need to do anything right now, given 360 is enjoying a pre-holiday boost from its clearance sale and new sku. And it would seem that Wii is suffering more from 360's high sales than PS3. 360 will ride that wave into the Spet/Oct period when sales start climbing naturally (360 will more or less stay at it's end of Aug sales level) and both Wii and PS3 will reel it back in as their sales also start to rise to meet and in the case of Wii at least, over take it. Reach will have a 2 week boost affect at most, and it won't be huge like the 360s launch. It'll come down to whether Kinect moves HW or whether it mostly sells to existing 360 owners. Once Sony knows what effect Kinect has on 360 sales it can then decide what it needs to do to keep get back to growing it's market share.

Makes sense.

yeah i think your right, no need for a price cut at the moment. even if 360 outsells PS3 this year, it wont be a fatal blow. personally i think move needs to be cheaper to encourage on the fence potential buyers. the big thing that could change the game completely is if exclusive IPs like Mass Effect were to come over to the PS3. the reason i say ME because microsoft sold EA the distribution rights and EA arent interested in exclusives, not to mention the game hasnt been a system seller on the 360. other than that, EPIC did also mention they regret having an exclusive contract with microsoft for Gears... so i think that if Portal 2 proves to be a success on PS3, we could be in for some supprises next year!!!

yeah you guys are right, mass effect 3 on ps3 would be awesome