By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Announced!

Barozi said:
shio said:
Barozi said:
shio said:
Barozi said:

It will hopefully be more like the original and not like the others

oh and shio 4 million sales across 3 games for one of the few good exclusive FPS/RPG series left on the PC doesn't really prove that PC isn't dead...

Considering that none of the Stalker games ever topped PC charts, It is a strong argument in favour of PC Gaming being stronger than ever.

Also, Stalker is the ONLY good FPS/RPG series today in any platform, yet it's only on PC. Consoles don't have any FPS/RPG hybrids. It came from an unknown independent developer from an under-developed nation, yet they made a high quality, multi-million selling product with no advertisement and a low budget. This can only happen on PC

I actually was talking about FPS AND RPG, not necessarily hybrids like Stalker, Borderlands or Fallout 3.

Also it's not surprising at all that none of them ever topped a PC chart considering 50% or more purchasers live in former Sowjet Union countries.

GSC is far from being an unknown studio. Cossacks series is quite popular among PC gamers at the time.

And given that STALKER was hyped as hell since 2001 it's no surprise it sold that well.

Ukraine isn't that under-developed either. Maybe the people outside of the big cities, but that has hardly anything to do with that dev studio...

You really know nothing about PC, and especially RPGs exclusives on PC. There are DOZENS of great exclusive RPGs on PC that consoles didn't get this gen, while consoles only have a handful of FPS and RPGs that aren't even as good as the PC exclusives.

Exclusive PC RPGs:

• The Witcher
  • King's Bounty: The Legend
  • King's Bounty: Armored Princess
  • Guild Wars Factions
  • Guild Wars: Nightfall
  • Space Rangers 2
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars
  • Titan Quest
  • Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of The Betrayer
  • Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
  • Guild Wars: Eye of the North
  • World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
  • Lord of the Rings Online
  • World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
  • The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria
  • Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
  • Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
  • Space Rangers 2: Reboot
  • Aion
  • League of Legends
  • Torchlight
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade
  • Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer
  • These are all RPGs exclusive to PC at least a rating average of around 80% on PC, since this gen started. How many exclusive Console RPGs with at least 80% are there? I'll tell you, ONLY 10 RPGs in ALL Consoles are 80%.

Oh, and I didn't put all exclusive PC RPGs with 80% there, since the list is already too big.

Not only does PC have MUCH more great titles that all consoles combined (according to reviewers), but it also has a much more varied range of RPG game, since it has MMORPGs, SRPGs, ARPGs, CORPGs, Traditional RPGs and Genre-mixing RPGs like Space Rangers 2 (which is a mix or RPG, RTS, Adventure and Action).

RPG developers are more and more confident on PC, and in the next few months of 2010 and in 2011 we will get even more amount of amazing RPGs than we ever gotten before:

• World of Warcraft: Cataclysm
  • Torchlight 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Star Wars: The old Republic
  • King's Bounty: Crossroads
  • Otherland
  • Mytheon
  • Grim Dawn
  • Darkspore
  • Starport Gemini
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online
  • Tera
  • As for FPS, we still get more great exclusives than any console, just not more than all consoles combined. Any FPS fan needs to play Shooters on PC, since that's by far the best place for them, and games like Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Quake Live, Stalker games, Killing Floor, etc.. can only be experienced at it's fullest on PC.

GSC Game World was pretty much an unknown studio. Cossacks wasn't THAT popular, and they went incognito, since early 2000's they didn't do anything relevant. They easily made more profit on Stalker games than games like Killzone 2, any Resistance game, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Uncharted game, God of War 3, Fable 2, etc...

Low budgets, No advertisement, High profit margins in Digital Distribution. Think About it.

They already sold over 4 millions. And before Stalker 2 arrives, it'll reach 5 millions, because good PC games have loooong legs.

I was talking about still active established RPG series...

I know a lot about PC gaming, it just looks like you only play the mediocre game and I play the good ones.

What does the bolded even mean? All those games I pointed out came out after the release of Xbox 360, and pretty much all of them were successful.

Besides, Neverwinter Nights, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and Spellforce ARE established series. Infact, they're more active and doing better than ever before.

Not only that, but more and more RPG series were established on PC this gen than consoles could ever dream of: Mount & Blade, King's Bounty, Lord of the Ring Online, Torchlight, Spore (Darkspore belongs to that series), Age of Conan, The Witcher, Space Rangers, etc...

How many RPG series were established on Consoles this gen? None that I think of, off the top of my head.

"I know a lot about PC gaming, it just looks like you only play the mediocre game and I play the good ones."

Mediocre according to whom?! According to you?! You don't even know PC's RPGs, so it's idiotic to make such statement.

Around the Network

While 4 million copies across 3 games might sound a lot you have to bare in mind that the revenue from each copy is nowhere near the revenue from console games.

The majority of those STALKER copies were sold at only $15 a piece, and even $10 in Eastern Europe where the majority of sales for STALKER are.

Each copy sold brings $10 if very lucky (a console game gives $25), which means only $40 million in total revenue over 6-7 years of development. And certainly publisher THQ must have snatched some of that. Fortunately the developer is based in Ukraina because that revenue simply wouldn't have been enough for a Western developer to pay its workforce.

Nowadays apart from Blizzard the only non-MMO big budget PC exclusives are made in Eastern Europe due to the lower dev costs. Such is the state of the PC gaming market.

Slimebeast said:

While 4 million copies across 3 games might sound a lot you have to bare in mind that the revenue from each copy is nowhere near the revenue from console games.

The majority of those STALKER copies were sold at only $15 a piece, and even $10 in Eastern Europe where the majority of sales for STALKER are.

Each copy sold brings $10 if very lucky (a console game gives $25), which means only $40 million in total revenue over 6-7 years of development. And certainly publisher THQ must have snatched some of that. Fortunately the developer is based in Ukraina because that revenue simply wouldn't have been enough for a Western developer to pay its workforce.

Nowadays apart from Blizzard the only non-MMO big budget PC exclusives are made in Eastern Europe due to the lower dev costs. Such is the state of the PC gaming market.

You have to be kidding me. Console developers get only $7 per game sold at full price! Retailers, Distributors, Console Manufacturers and Publishers snatch up everything else.

The Stalker games spent nothing for marketing, and much of the sales were on digital services. The budget is no doubt miniscule compared to the average AAA console game, although some of it is due to the fact that it's cheaper to develop on PC.

The part that you should really think about is how so many PC developers are flourishing and increasing, while console developers are stagnant, declining or even closing doors.

As for your last paragraph, it just tells me that you know nothing of the fact that more and more AAA games are coming to PC, while it's dwindling on consoles. After all, aren't consoles declining sales in the past year and half, while PC sales keep growing?

shio said:
    Slimebeast said:

You have to be kidding me. Console developers get only $7 per game sold at full price! Retailers, Distributors, Console Manufacturers and Publishers snatch up everything else.

The Stalker games spent nothing for marketing, and much of the sales were on digital services. The budget is no doubt miniscule compared to the average AAA console game, although some of it is due to the fact that it's cheaper to develop on PC.

The part that you should really think about is how so many PC developers are flourishing and increasing, while console developers are stagnant, declining or even closing doors.

As for your last paragraph, it just tells me that you know nothing of the fact that more and more AAA games are coming to PC, while it's dwindling on consoles. After all, aren't consoles declining sales in the past year and half, while PC sales keep growing?

Ill reply to that other stuff later, but about AAA games on PC you have to be kidding. Like always, most AAA games also get a PC version yes (Call of Duty, Dead Space 2, Rage, Fallout Vegas, Dragon Age 2 and so on), but upcoming AAA PC exclusives are really scarce. The only one I know of is Diabolo 3, while The Witcher 2, Stalker 2 and Civ 5 are semi-AAA or AA.

Slimebeast said:
    shio said:
    Slimebeast said:

Ill reply to that other stuff later, but about AAA games on PC you have to be kidding. Like always, most AAA games also get a PC version yes (Call of Duty, Dead Space 2, Rage, Fallout Vegas, Dragon Age 2 and so on), but upcoming AAA PC exclusives are really scarce. The only one I know of is Diabolo 3, while The Witcher 2, Stalker 2 and Civ 5 are semi-AAA or AA.

Civ 5 isn't AAA?! What the hell are you talking about?!

PC AAA exclusives coming soon:

• Neverwinter Nights 3
  • Diablo 3
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Civilization 5
  • Shogun 2: Total War
  • Dawn of War 3
  • King's Bounty: Crossworlds
  • Storm of War: Battle of Britain
  • Darkspore
  • Star War: The Old Republic
  • Warhammer 40K: Dark Millenium Online
  • off the top of my head.

Around the Network
    shio said:
    Slimebeast said:
    shio said:
    Slimebeast said:

• Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Civilization 5
  • Dawn of War 3
  • Darkspore

Okay that's a quite nice list but mostly AA and big MMOs.

Slimebeast said:
    shio said:
    Slimebeast said:
    shio said:
    Slimebeast said:

• Neverwinter Nights 2
  • Diablo 3
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Civilization 5
  • Dawn of War 3
  • Darkspore

Okay that's a quite nice list but mostly AA and big MMOs.

Im counting 6 potential AAAs in there. I don't know what "MMOs" is supposed to mean either. Honestly though, NWN2 sucked pretty hard so I doubt NWN3 will be even worthwhile.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Slimebeast said:
    shio said:
    Slimebeast said:

I lost you there. Civilization is one of the most critically acclaimed series in whole gaming world. If that is not AAA I don't know what is.

KillerMan said:
    Slimebeast said:

I lost you there. Civilization is one of the most critically acclaimed series in whole gaming world. If that is not AAA I don't know what is.

I know. I used AAA by the other definition, how big a game's development budget is.