By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady GaGa to release new album with genre defining music

Noooooo! She better not pass Elvis.

And I'm not liking that new "genre" so far...

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
leo-j said:

well the entire mainstream media, and her fans take her as serious as I do.. in fact so does:

Queen

Elton John

Yoko Ono

Grace Jones

Britney Spears

And...Madonna..

Last I czeched, she's a Grace Jones ripoff and Grace Jones knows it.  So when she asked Grace Jones to do a duet, she said hell no, because she doesn't work with no-talent hacks that are ripping off her own outfits from 20-30 years ago.  I think I posted the interview where Grace said that in one of your previous gushing-for-Gaga threads.

no talent hack? Yikes.. And well grace jones is one of her inspirations.. and she isn't ripping off anyone

show me a video of grace jones doing this same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Utc9VWvig

and I'll call her a rip off.

mM

Isn't lady gaga a guy?

ctk495 said:

Isn't lady gaga a guy?

I've heard that too. I think it is true.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

leo-j said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
leo-j said:

well the entire mainstream media, and her fans take her as serious as I do.. in fact so does:

Queen

Elton John

Yoko Ono

Grace Jones

Britney Spears

And...Madonna..

Last I czeched, she's a Grace Jones ripoff and Grace Jones knows it.  So when she asked Grace Jones to do a duet, she said hell no, because she doesn't work with no-talent hacks that are ripping off her own outfits from 20-30 years ago.  I think I posted the interview where Grace said that in one of your previous gushing-for-Gaga threads.

no talent hack? Yikes.. And well grace jones is one of her inspirations.. and she isn't ripping off anyone

show me a video of grace jones doing this same thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Utc9VWvig

and I'll call her a rip off.

Doing what?  Playing "Bad Romance" and "Alejandro" on American Idol?  No, you're right.  Grace Jones never did that.

What's original about that performance?  She starts out with the old hit, segues into the new single, takes her clothes off, dances around, and plays a little piano.  That's what... everybody else does.  I honestly can't think of why you chose that clip.  It's just a random performance like any other by her or any other big pop star.  If it was David Bowie he'd be doing the same shit, but he'd also play guitar and saxophone and maybe do some moonwalking or some mime.

What do you know by Grace Jones?  Favorite song or album or outfit or photo?

The whole... Gaga image... of avant-garde mostly naked in-your-face fashion... comes from Grace Jones.  And Gaga has catching up to do.

http://viciousskylicious.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/keith-haring-grace-jones_.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/KatyT-G/GraceJones.jpg

Around the Network

The reason why the Beatles are still relevant (and other artists as well) is because of their direct influence on several things, from culture, politics and especially music.

When thousands of pepole will say that they started writing, recording and singing, because they were influenced by lady Gaga, you could compare her to the legends.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

I like many of Lady GaGa's songs, they are insanely catchy... but the truth is, her lyrics are extremely shallow and she borrows TOO MUCH from the likes of Madonna, Ace of Base and Cyndi Lauper (in terms of music). Her "Alejandro" music video is basically a tribute to Madonna's videos, and don't get me started on the retardedness of her "Telephone" video. GaGa has lost it after the excellent "Bad Romance" music video.

And I agree that GaGa has ripped off Grace Jones, she's also ripped off Roison Murphy among many others. There's a group on facebook comparing most of her outfits to other outfits worn by other people before her, it really opens your eyes. I will provide the link if anybody wants it.

Also, it is extremely cocky to say that your next record is going to be "genre defining". I wonder which Madonna songs she is going to steal now. Ray of Light perhaps?

Oh, and GaGa's songs are devoid of emotions Her album is called "The Fame", her songs talk about fame and she wrote it before being famous. So basically the emotions are not real, they are artificial as they speak about experiences she hasn't even had at the time of writing most of the songs on the album.

otoniel said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
kooties said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

typical elitist bullshit.

Not generation defining? She's become one of the most recognized artists of the late noughties and she's only done two albums so far. The era of music is defined by what was the most visible / popular at that time, and not what a minority thought was the best of the era. (Personally Vedder > Cobain)

Also it's really easy to easily to simplify artists to the point of easy dismissal, such as the tired shoegazers, 4 powerchord songs, average vocalists, and simple pentatonic soloists that you just listed. (I don't mean that, I love The Doors and Nirvana, but the way you presented that argument is akin to the typical elitist that listens only to local scene and the 5 bands he heard as a kid.)

You have quite the vivid imagination,lol. First of all what is the late noughties? I though this was the 2010's. Now to address your first statement. What defines an era of music is not always necessarily what gets the most radio airplay or is played on MTV constantly. Brittany spears sold millions of albums, ect, and years later is literally completely forgotten about (because her music meant nothing) It's music with meaning that actually reaches people in that generation that ends up defining it.

How am I being an elitist? I gave a short list of musicians who actually defined generations and I can add more (Thome Yorke,Black Francis, Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor, Maynard Keenan).Here's also a more  recent list of artists who have more talent in their left finger than Lady Gaga? ( Muse,  Arcade Fire, Avenge Sevenfold, Shinedown, Stone Sour).

My main point was is that she will not define a generation. She brings nothing original to the music scene besides the costume's she wears on stage (her image was manufactured by the record company anyways). There's nothing wrong in listening to catchy pop music but to take an artist like Lady Gaga as serious as Leo J does is rather hilarious. 

you have a very valid point 

but dont blind yourself, 

Britney Spears is still VERY relevant 

after more than 10 years she still sells records like crazy 

now if instead of mentioning Britney you have chosen Christina then i would had give your post a perfect 10 

Well we can't all be perfect lol. You have to admit though, her popularity has massively declined in the past several years and her past two albums havent exactly sold nearly as well as her previous effots (Blackout - 1 mill sales in the U.S and Circus - 1.7 mill)

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

thelalaby said:

I like many of Lady GaGa's songs, they are insanely catchy... but the truth is, her lyrics are extremely shallow and she borrows TOO MUCH from the likes of Madonna, Ace of Base and Cyndi Lauper (in terms of music). Her "Alejandro" music video is basically a tribute to Madonna's videos, and don't get me started on the retardedness of her "Telephone" video. GaGa has lost it after the excellent "Bad Romance" music video.

And I agree that GaGa has ripped off Grace Jones, she's also ripped off Roison Murphy among many others. There's a group on facebook comparing most of her outfits to other outfits worn by other people before her, it really opens your eyes. I will provide the link if anybody wants it.

Also, it is extremely cocky to say that your next record is going to be "genre defining". I wonder which Madonna songs she is going to steal now. Ray of Light perhaps?

Oh, and GaGa's songs are devoid of emotions Her album is called "The Fame", her songs talk about fame and she wrote it before being famous. So basically the emotions are not real, they are artificial as they speak about experiences she hasn't even had at the time of writing most of the songs on the album.

Hey lets not forget that pokerface (the verse part) sounds very, very similar to the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams"

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

If Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga had a fight who would win?

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."