By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Pokemon) How Black and White is like Ruby and Sapphire and how it will do!

The first generation of pokemon was hugely popular that kicked things off.

They were conservative and designed gold and silver so it would be just like red and blue (can't blame them)

Then the pokemon company was established and they knew that they couldn't keep releasing the same game over and over again so they went to the drawing board. They went liberal with ruby and sapphire and made some big changes. They added running, good color, better sound etc. they also added the most pokemon in this generation than any other to make it fresh. hey added harder puzzles and stuff because their fanbase was getting older. Better music etc. oh and they added double battles

4th generation they were trying to get back to second generation days and it worked. They have a lot of evolutions for 2nd ge pokemn and the game itself wasnt a hugechange from ruby and sapphire other than better graphics.

5th generation is going liberal again. the battle system has got a lot more complex. they added triple battles and random wifi battles. they recently said that there will be no od pokemon until youbeat the gam to keep things fresh...similar to ruby and sapphire. the characters in black and white are older and is an overall more mature game like ruby and sapphire. plus they are similar because both games have a dessert :D discuss

Around the Network

You really don't know pokemon at all. Most of what you said is subjective if not outright wrong.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:

You really don't know pokemon at all. Most of what you said is subjective if not outright wrong.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

1/4 the Pokemon in Ruby/Sapphire were returning pokemon like Vulpix, Machop, Tentacool, Geodude, etc.

While I agree that Ruby/Sapphire (and more importantly Emerald) was the biggest change the series has seen, I think you're kind of basing a lot of those views on popular internet 'generalizations' of the games.

And personally, I hardly thinkg triple battles and allowing people more freedom in WiFi battling is making the battle engine 'way more complex'.  If anything, that sounds like the weakest jump the series has made yet.  Why not just make 4x4 battles?  Or 8x8 Battle Royale grunge matches with all Pokemon at lvl 100 cap.

Until the series starts actually altering the actual battle 'engine', all the changes they make are small because they only alter things outside the battle engine.  How your pokemon interact with other Pokemon, how you level, how you fight NPCs, altering the number of pokemon/items/moves you can use in battle.  These are limitations, not 'improvements' to the battle engine.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Black and White do seem like minor improvements compared to R&S. That being said, I can't wait!

I know there are a lot of purists on here that never played a pokemon game past Blue, but that's ok, let 'em hate. With more pokemon and different game modes, I'm sure fans will continue to pour their many hours into the newest iterations of the series.

I'm guessing around 12-14 million lifetime for the pair, based on how well G&S are doing.

Anyone wanna guess what the third one will be called? Pokemon Gray?

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network

I think it will do wonders on its own, but until I play it, I can't compare it. Pokemon is one of those series, where playing is necessary. 

In my honest opinion, Pokemon games keep getting worse and worse. When I saw that pokemon white and black info vid, I simply  thought "Well, I guess that's it. No more pokemon games for me" I was willing to give pokemon black a chance and buy a DS just for that game, even if the Pokemons looked... well, awful. But after seeing the mini-games with berries and dressing up your pokemon.. Ok, it's a game rated 3 , but it used to be a game that could be enjoyed by everyone, adults, teens and kids. Everything seems to upset me about it. 3vs3 battles? CMON! Before it took alot of strategy on the pokemons you'd chose to have in your party and which TM you'd teach to 'em so you could face have a balanced team to face any kind of pokemons. Even the graphics annoy me - I still think that Ruby's graphics are more attractive than any pokemon game on the DS.

/Rant.

Ruby & Sapphire were part of the best generation of Pokémon to me. Quite unlike this thing people are calling Generation V now.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity