By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - HVS layoff fallout - no Grinder?

I'm going to lay the rumors to rest here.

The layoffs were simply because Torunament of Legends had completed production and all the staff that could be moved to other projects were moved and the remaining redudant staff were cut.  This happens to every studio out there.  80% of all layoffs you ever read about at a studio are for this exact reason.  It's also why studios are built near each other...so it's easy for one studio to quickly grabbed just axed talent.   A lot of people in the industry will drift between studios over the years as projects come to completion.

And The Grinder remains on Wii as the FPS we all saw it as.  They didn't show anything new at E3 for 3 reasons.

1. It's not coming out before next E3 already rolls around.
2. They wanted to focus on near release projects like Conduit 2.
3. It doesn't have a publisher yet and HVS used the Sega booth to showcase their products.  So they couldn't show off The Grinder on the show floor even if they wanted to.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
pacman91 said:

AHHHHH!!! I've been wanting The Grinder far more than the 3 FPS shooters coming this year. I'm going to be a bit sad if the Grinder is dead.

Same here.

Conduit 2 better blow my mind then if it may be the last HVS game

Tragic.

Simply Tragic.

"Let's make games we want to make!"  "Yeah!"

"Oh no, we didn't make a return on the game we made!" "We should have just stuck with Cartoon and Movie licensed games." "Sigh."

Story of many small developers out there.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Guys, read my post. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Amazing, just last year they were getting so much praise from the Wii fans.

It also goes to show developing Wii games ain't cheap. They should stick to shovelware.

Apparently Wii fans thought they had a FPS that could compete with 360/PS3 FPS titles with The Conduit, and ended up hyping it up, because of the customizability of controls.  The Conduit ended up being more than just an FPS for Wii fans, it was supposed to be a killer app that would change everything.

And development of any game on any console isn't cheap, if you want to have good production value behind it.

NiKKoM said:

I still got an old damaged flame shield sitting here when I called the Conduit looking dull and average on this site before it was released.. the hype on the site was huge..

I got fragged for trying to frame the context of the Conduit as a game for a Wii rather than a competitive FPS.  I think I actually got a mod warning on here for saying I was trolling.

The Conduit showed promise, but the online was just broken and unplayable. Conduit 2 is the last chance to save their Reputation.

Who cares about them anyways. Horrible producers doing horrible games.

Source?