By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Antabus said:
Buzzi said:
Antabus said:
Metallicube said:
darthdevidem01 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

I wonder if Wii could actually wind up in third this holiday. With Microsoft's Kinect, Reach and continued strong sales of the slim model and Sony's Move and GT5, Nintendo must be praying Donkey Kong is a hardware mover cause it's their only hope right now.

I'm really wondering why people think DK is going to be a hardware mover.

Donkey Kong as far as I remember mostly catered to existing Nintendo fans/Mario fans. And NSMB Wii must have got loads of Mario fans on Wii.

DKCR will surely move some systems, but I don't think its gonna be a massive system seller like NSMB Wii.

So funny how history repeats, especially when that history repeating is less than a year old...

As I recall, almost EVERYONE here said the same about NSMB Wii, that it would only sell to existing Wii owners. When I said it would move massive hardware, noone believed me.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a similar type of game NSMB Wii is; a mass market sidescroller that appeals to many. Also similar to Mario, DKC is a series that has been untouched for a over a decade, which probably has created a lot of pent up hype. But at the same time, it's still a different game, that will probably pick up some gamers that NSMB Wii did not. Expect this game to be huge, then the crow eating will begin again, just like with NSMB Wii..

While it won't be AS big as NSMB Wii, Epic Mickey, Wii Party, Goldeneye, and Kirby could pick up that extra slack. Wii won't sell 4.3 million like last December, but I think a 3.5 - 4 million is very possible.

Yeah, when was the game released? Oh no, maybe it was not the game itself but the usual holidayboost! That boost is not from those individual games but people buying wii for christmas presents. Usually parents buying consoles for their kids.

Do you really think the fastest selling videogame ever didn't move hardware? Even if Wii had tons of Mario games before, NSMBW moved a lot of hardware, it was mostly because of it that Wii had record holidays in the US, the price cut itself did something but would have never pushed the Wii to that. And sales in January show it, NSMBW was the game most people bought with the Wii, while now the games which are keeping the Wii at (relatively) high levels are Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus, and maybe some sales from Super Mario Galaxy 2 too.

Of course it moved some HW but it was not as big system mover as some people make it to be. Pricecut holiday season were bigger reasons for those sales.

I tend to agree with this, Galaxy 2 proves this point since it did not boost hardware either. I think it's a given that anyone who is a fan of the Nintendo franchises(and would buy a console for those games) already owns a Wii.

Around the Network
welshbloke said:
Vertigo-X said:

In my opinion, to the prospective buyer, the 360 will seem too cluttered and unfocused. Some games won't work without a certain peripheral. The prospective buyer will probably be confused. Same goes for PS Move.

I doubt they will be confused with Kinect at any rate. All the Kinect titles are clearly marked Kinect and when the titles that will support both appear I am sure they will be clearly marked with Kinect Enhanced logo or some such thing.

The Wii decline is based on the fact it has nothing more to give. It is actually following a standard console trend, whereas the HD Twins are still evolving and why both will have much longer lifespans on the market. What will be interesting now that the twins are offering so much is what any prospective Wii2 model could offer outside of its first party titles.

I was actually referring to the brand new buyer viewing the 360 package as a whole.

The BuShA owns all!

360 is 1st in hardware but is 3rd in software, and Wii is 3rd in hardware but is 1st in software, although Wii has worst tie ratio. It's strange and interesting.

DrPollit0 said:

360 is 1st in hardware but is 3rd in software, and Wii is 3rd in hardware but is 1st in software, although Wii has worst tie ratio. It's strange and interesting.

Very interesting. Wii has the largest userbase and it sells the most software. 360 and ps3 are closer in userbase, ps3 sells about 200k more software than 360. Ps3 has one new release which sells 240k in Japan. Man, that is strange.

Seriously, this thread needs to be dug up the next time someone states that 360 and PS3 fans are more defensive than Wii fans. This is lunacy.

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Buzzi said:
Antabus said:
Metallicube said:
darthdevidem01 said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:

I wonder if Wii could actually wind up in third this holiday. With Microsoft's Kinect, Reach and continued strong sales of the slim model and Sony's Move and GT5, Nintendo must be praying Donkey Kong is a hardware mover cause it's their only hope right now.

I'm really wondering why people think DK is going to be a hardware mover.

Donkey Kong as far as I remember mostly catered to existing Nintendo fans/Mario fans. And NSMB Wii must have got loads of Mario fans on Wii.

DKCR will surely move some systems, but I don't think its gonna be a massive system seller like NSMB Wii.

So funny how history repeats, especially when that history repeating is less than a year old...

As I recall, almost EVERYONE here said the same about NSMB Wii, that it would only sell to existing Wii owners. When I said it would move massive hardware, noone believed me.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a similar type of game NSMB Wii is; a mass market sidescroller that appeals to many. Also similar to Mario, DKC is a series that has been untouched for a over a decade, which probably has created a lot of pent up hype. But at the same time, it's still a different game, that will probably pick up some gamers that NSMB Wii did not. Expect this game to be huge, then the crow eating will begin again, just like with NSMB Wii..

While it won't be AS big as NSMB Wii, Epic Mickey, Wii Party, Goldeneye, and Kirby could pick up that extra slack. Wii won't sell 4.3 million like last December, but I think a 3.5 - 4 million is very possible.

Yeah, when was the game released? Oh no, maybe it was not the game itself but the usual holidayboost! That boost is not from those individual games but people buying wii for christmas presents. Usually parents buying consoles for their kids.

Do you really think the fastest selling videogame ever didn't move hardware? Even if Wii had tons of Mario games before, NSMBW moved a lot of hardware, it was mostly because of it that Wii had record holidays in the US, the price cut itself did something but would have never pushed the Wii to that. And sales in January show it, NSMBW was the game most people bought with the Wii, while now the games which are keeping the Wii at (relatively) high levels are Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus, and maybe some sales from Super Mario Galaxy 2 too.

Of course it moved some HW but it was not as big system mover as some people make it to be. Pricecut holiday season were bigger reasons for those sales.

Without NSMBW Wii would have sold 3 or 4 dozen consoles tops.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

--OkeyDokey-- said:

How many gamers are there that are waiting for DK to buy a Wii and haven't already bought one when any previous Mario game was released?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

NSMBW  moved hardware, but not to the extent nintendo fans claim, holiday season, and the fact that for the first time wii was not supply constrained in the holidays were  the main factors. If the wii  hadn't been supply constrained in 08 it probably would have moved more hardware than in 09

This year will be the same in the holiday season wii will see massive sales again, not on the same level as last year, but still massive, mainly because its viewed as a great gift for young kids, and that nintendo is a brand that is viewed as very kid, and family  friendly with games that are clearly targeted for younger audiences as opposed to the ps360 that mainly because of price and its library of games don't have the same connotation as the wii does

And that's what sony, but mainly microsoft, are gambling with there motion controls, its  not to conquer us gamers, but to try and convince parents and relatives of young kids that there new devices are great gifts for there siblings. Some might say that the price is too high for kinect and move, but they are a novelty right now, and microsoft and sony know this, and because of that they know the early adopters will buy the devices at that price, and because of the holiday season sales will be inflated because of the shopping spree, and massive marketing but next year the prices will go down

kowenicki said:

darthdevidem01 said:

Can we safely say 50% marketshare aint ever happening for the Wii?

For Wii to achieve 50% market share needs to outsell 360 and PS3 combined by: 

1,002,179 p/m to achieve 50% by Jan 2011.   231,272 per wk.
294,759 p/m to achieve 50% by Jan 2012.   68,021 per wk.
172,790 p/m to achieve 50% by Jan 2013.   39,875 per wk.
125,272 p/m to achieve 50% by Jan 2014.   28,909 per wk.

Current rate is:  -288,930 per month on average for the last 12 mths.
    -392,184 per month on average for the last 6 mths.
    -445,440 per month on average for the last 3 mths.

Negative number means 360 & PS3 are still outselling Wii by that amount per month on average

zero chance.

Interesting...

Now can you do the same with X360 or PS3 to see how many units they have to move so they can reach 50% of marketshare? lol

Wii is doomed hahaha but as you can see 360 will settle at 140k