By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do all 'hardcore' games have system updates?

KylieDog said:

This is something I've noticed a lot, every single time I put a new 'hardcore' game into the Wii it requires a new update to run.  Never with any other type of game, just the supposed hardcore ones.

Are Nintendo really that batshit paranoid I'm going to pirate the console?  Because anyone already pirating isn't going to have to deal with this update crap, the fact I'm using an actual copy defeats the need for these useless updates unless Nintendo are so paranoid that they fear I might one day do it?  Seems to be the case since its more likely the 'hardcore' crowd will be the oens to pirate.

If anything it is just going to drive people towards piracy to skip the aggrovation of waiting for the update which does nothing but move all your channels back to default position every bloody time.

I've only had that happen with two or three games, and one wasn't a "hardcore" game. It was the port of  Mario Tennis.

Plus if you have an online connection, you can take updates as they happen, instead of doing it just before you play a game.

But I haven't gotten that many in the first place. So either Britain has a hell of a lot more, or you're doing something that makes updates more frequent.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

The updates reset your channel positions?

Must be a PAL thing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

yes, mario, metroid, zelda, all have updates.... while smaller games don't

My wii really isn't really more annoying than my other consoles (in the aspect that you describe). The wii is my least favorite console this gen and I don't notice anything.

It's not a big deal...

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

Wii Games have updates? , i've never had one.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:

Wii Games have updates? , i've never had one.

He is taking about how games check for a Wii System Menu Update the first time you play them.  It is not an update for the games themselves.

@topic

Many, many different types of games all perform that check the first time you play them.  If there is no update available, then it is a very short painless process.  If you are forced to update every time you play a hardcore game, considering how infrequently Nintendo updates the Wii System Menu, I would guess that you play very few Wii games.  Knowing you somewhat, I bet that's not far from the case.

I have never had an update move the positions of the channels.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

KylieDog said:

It is true I don't play a lot of new releases on Wii that much (compared to on PS3 anyway) but I have a rental account and play a good number, looking at the games that have had updates though, HOTD Overkill, Madworld, Conduit, Darkside Chronicles, Silent Hill and now NMH2 it just seems a bit odd, I've played other new releases between these like NSMB Wii and such and none of those had updates.

Updates via a net connection also never mess with the channel layout, make me wonder if these 'updates' are just some homebrew channel thing it scans for which is why channels are reset.  I don't use homebrew.  What strengthens my thought on this is directly after NMH2 update my system I tried to look at the shopping channel and it said I needed an update...so what did NMH2 just do?

I think you may have to tech this up on a more tech oriented site.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

re-position channels?

I don't see any problems with Wii updates, and this one uses Homebrew.

Of course you will experience that the console gets updates everytime when you doesn't use the console frequently. When I played on my sisters PS3 it felt like I had to do some kind of update every time I turned the console on or wanted to visit the PS store, but that only felt like it because the console got very little usage.

If it bothers you there's always the system update bypasses enabled by homebrew, but that stuff can kill your Wii if you aren't careful.