By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rare 'attacking' WiiSports dominance

"In terms of the competition, we looked very carefully at Wii Sports," Rare's creative director George Andreas told the latest issue of Edge. "We didn't shy away from it - we actually attack it head on, if I'm honest."

"We looked at Wii Sports and, okay, if we were going to do this better, how much further can we go with this and will the consumer see an obvious improvement?"

"The user feedback and user testing said we were coming back as a superior experience, and we added a lot of bells and whistles," he commented, saying again: "We never shied away from the Wii Sports comparison."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=258618

Dem fightin' words!

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Well, I guess good on them for taking up the challenge. I don't think anyone can replicate the success of Wii Sports because the ship has sailed on motion controls being new.

Well, Wii Sports - Done.

Wii Sports Resort - Still in Progress?

Sports Champions - "We don't even wanna attempt it!"

-runs  away-

Carl2291 said:

Well, Wii Sports - Done.

-runs  away-

Reported.

@OP

So they researched it and basically tried to make a better version, I guess thats fair enough. But just user feedback from focus groups shouldn't make them overconfident.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Carl2291 said:

Well, Wii Sports - Done.

-runs  away-

Reported.

@OP

So they researched it and basically tried to make a better version, I guess thats fair enough. But just user feedback from focus groups shouldn't make them overconfident.

I agree.

The public will decide. 

It will never ever outsell Wii sports though. M$ arent even bundling it. 

Around the Network
selnor said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Carl2291 said:

Well, Wii Sports - Done.

-runs  away-

Reported.

@OP

I agree.

The public will decide. 

It will never ever outsell Wii sports though. M$ arent even bundling it. 

Not to mention previews aren't exactly raving about it.

And you agree with me, wow I might be wrong for once!!! lol j/k j/k j/k!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Hardly shocking news after the Mii clones. Rare seems to have been given the task of copying Nintendo. They successfully managed it years ago but they haven't got the talent to do it now.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

It's lacking a unique feel IMO the game is just going to be better wii sports, if there is going to be a game that defines kinect like wii sports does to the wii its dance central(that's also what they should have bundled kinect with instead of kinect adventure).

C'mon Rare i thought you could do something better than this.

people will likely mistake it for Wii Sports and buy it anyway, they look so similar

^idk

Rare seems to be forgetting another reason Wii sports was so well received among the wii audience,  it was full of that oh so lovable nintendo charm that nintendo pumps into their games to make it so appealing. they do this by draining the blood of cute adorable animals

anyway i don't think Kinnect sports will get the same kind of reaction that wii sports got, it really doesn't seem to be unique enough from wii sports

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX