By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerrilla Games working on a new IP

ChichiriMuyo said:
Charreaper said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

Aparently, indodude.  Then again, without the Sony hype-machine behind them they'd still be unrecognized altogether.  They really aren't that good of a dev team.

Isnt that a bit unfair,while no where near naughty dog or bungie level, theyr still more talented than your average dev out there

That's really going to depend on what you consider average.  Can I think of much worse devs?  Absolutely.  In fact, my childhood was littered with them (damn you JLB!).  But I can also name dozens of better devs as well.  I can name several that have tackled the same genre and done much, much better without a console maker holding their hand the whole way, too. 

Do they deserve to keep making games?  Sure.  Do they or any of their work deserve much in the way of accolades?  No, really they don't.  They did as best as they could with what they got (aka a budget bigger than the vast majority of their competitors), but their best pales in comparison to so many others its unbelieveable.  Really, without Sony hyping Killzone 2 to no end these guys would be no better off than Factor 5 which was a (almost inarguably) better dev team by a mile.

I suppose each to our own, personally I found killzone to be excellent, but you do have a point, that sometimes marginally talented devs do tend to be masked by their console makers excessive marketing and budgets, also agreed Lair was brilliant

Around the Network
Charreaper said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
Charreaper said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

Aparently, indodude.  Then again, without the Sony hype-machine behind them they'd still be unrecognized altogether.  They really aren't that good of a dev team.

Isnt that a bit unfair,while no where near naughty dog or bungie level, theyr still more talented than your average dev out there

That's really going to depend on what you consider average.  Can I think of much worse devs?  Absolutely.  In fact, my childhood was littered with them (damn you JLB!).  But I can also name dozens of better devs as well.  I can name several that have tackled the same genre and done much, much better without a console maker holding their hand the whole way, too. 

Do they deserve to keep making games?  Sure.  Do they or any of their work deserve much in the way of accolades?  No, really they don't.  They did as best as they could with what they got (aka a budget bigger than the vast majority of their competitors), but their best pales in comparison to so many others its unbelieveable.  Really, without Sony hyping Killzone 2 to no end these guys would be no better off than Factor 5 which was a (almost inarguably) better dev team by a mile.

I suppose each to our own, personally I found killzone to be excellent, but you do have a point, that sometimes marginally talented devs do tend to be masked by their console makers excessive marketing and budgets, also agreed Lair was brilliant

Oh definitely.  I'm not saying their games can't be enjoyed, just that a lot of people can make products enjoyed by a lot more people.  I do want you to be able to get games made by them if you like their style, but the truth is that they haven't really produced a game as close to the heart of the mainstream as id/Valve/Bungie/Infinity Ward.  A lot of people don't really care for the games they make, though, and the fact that few people had heard of them before Sony threw money behind them speaks to that very loudly.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Hmmm... I am very happy for them to keep making Killzone games, the meatyness of it is really unmatched but I am sure whatever they make next will be even better

They may not be the very best dev team, but they are quite inexperienced, now only on their 4th game, and 2 have been average, 2 have been excellent

Oh please ! GG may have made some mediocre...or even horrible games in the past...but since KZ2 that has most definitely changed... KZ3 is looking very impressive, and I'm sure this new IP will be awesome too.

ChichiriMuyo said:
Charreaper said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
Charreaper said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

Oh definitely.  I'm not saying their games can't be enjoyed, just that a lot of people can make products enjoyed by a lot more people.  I do want you to be able to get games made by them if you like their style, but the truth is that they haven't really produced a game as close to the heart of the mainstream as id/Valve/Bungie/Infinity Ward.  A lot of people don't really care for the games they make, though, and the fact that few people had heard of them before Sony threw money behind them speaks to that very loudly.

But should'nt that really be the point, designing a game based purely on creating a unique art that may or may not appeal to the masses, an example would be 'Heavy Rain', cant really be called mainstream but still admirable in its own uniqueness.

Around the Network

i just came in here to say that im not interested al all, LOL

pizzahut451 said:

You're not interested in a game that has no name, no genre, no nothing ? 

How awesome !

GodOfWar_3ever said:
pizzahut451 said:

How awesome !

not interested in guerilla games in general

pizzahut451 said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
pizzahut451 said:

How awesome !

not interested in guerilla games in general

Yeah...but this could be different. You haven't seen ANYTHING on this game and you already wrote it off ? Something is not right there...

makingmusic476 said:
indodude said:
makingmusic476 said:

From neogaf:

Herman Hulst did an interview with Control (never heard of it myself) , a dutch gamemagazine, and revealed that they are working on a new IP besides Killzone 3.

The article says that they are still very busy with Killzone 3, but they managed to get a few people working on the game already. It is still in a concept stage, and that it's a very fun time for the team. They are ramping up in the near future and they also asked the whole team at Guerrilla to pitch concepts for the game where a lot of good ideas came from, but it's too soon to talk about yet.

That's it basically.

For the full article:  http://control-online.nl/gamesindustrie/2010/07/29/hermen-hulst-guerrilla-werkt-aan-nieuw-ip/

Guess this will be our first chance to see hwo they perform with something unrelated to Space Nazis with glowing eyes!  Can't help to see what it is.  I can only hope for an art direction as visually striking as what they've done with Killzone.

Was Shellshock: Nam '67 so shitty that people seem to ignore its existence?

It was pretty shitty, and they were working on it at the same time as Killzone.  They were actually released only a month apart, and it's fairly obvious which of the two recieved the bulk of their attention.

Shellshocked should be known as "that thing they worked on while making Killzone" lol.

I bought shellshocked when it came out and its nowhere near as bad as what people say it is. Its no killzone but it was still decent fun

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent