By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - TheSource comments on Sony's shipment figures

So jneul was not crazy, she was right.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
kowenicki said:

tbh I thought threads (arguments) about shipped v sold were banned.    They certainly were once.

I also dont think there are numerous theories running amok... certain sony fans think they are undertracked and thats about it.

Oh.. and what makes you think you cant comment on news articles?... the very article you are talking about has 27 comments on it... we have always been able to comment.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81113/sonys-networked-division-loses-43m-in-apr-jun-as-ps3-nears-x360/

It's quite a bit more than people claiming the system is undetracked.  There are theories about Sony stuffing the channel, Sony counting their shipped units differently from Nintendo/Microsoft, etc. etc.

And it seems you can only comment through gamrfeed.  I had been viewing articles through VGChartz, and apparently you can't comment via that portal.  I had assumed it was just one of the many features temporarily removed in the transition to 3.0. 

Having one article span multiple sites like this is really confusing.  x_x

yes,you can only comment in certain places,strange isn't it

Above & Beyond

What i don't get is... We have heard the "Sony has overshipped" thing now for a fair few quarters in a row.

If they "Overship" again the next quarter, and we are still ~2 Million units off the mark, will we hear the same excuses?

I just wanna know what ioi or The Source have to say about it, instead of random people coming up with theories. Will finally answer a lot of questions and stop the petty arguements.

Microsoft - 41.7m

Vgchartz - 41.5m

Sony - 38.1m

Vgchartz - 36.2m

I used to defend this site against all the haters because their numbers used to be quite close when the official stats came out but this is idiotic. Vgchartz just need to admit they have been totally wrong for a long time when it comes to the PS3 total and change their numbers. 

Why do Vgc need to admit they are wrong?

If you look at the numbers for the quarter vgc has it about 300k under what Sony said they did in the quarter.

It is most probable that this extra 2m is in stores. Sony overshipped as they most likely thought demand was going to be higher around the release of FFXIII/GOW3 etc.. When i went to collect my SC2 game today in my local shop there were still around 20-30 PS3's on the shelves (well not on a shelf as such, more like in the corner). If what Sony is saying is true then it is highly unlikely that places would stockpile that many.

We know for a fact these numbers are not in japan or americas as those places are tracked. In Japan you have two trackers and in America you have NPD, who are all used by the main companies to track their sales. Then once those sales have been tracked and released each company respond to them.

If it was 2m higher then it is now in 3 months those numbers would of been reflected in those months. Sony would not respond to them, and if they were wrong they would of said so in their press releases after each NPD. They would of also mentioned it in/around E3 that the gap was that close, that is the kind of thing Sony would use for sure.

Which leaves Europe. There is no chance in hell this 2m is here, why? Because that would mean for europe roughly 200k a week PS3 sales. On par with holiday 2009 sales. In the quietest time of the year you expect it to do those numbers? Get real.

The only logical explanation is Sony over shipped. There just is no evidence at all from anywhere other then Sony that those are the numbers. People seem to think that shipped = sold or that because a company say's it then it has to be true! If people really think PS3 sold an additional 2m in the past 3 months then they are just in denial.

Around the Network

I'm still about confused all the fuss on both sides of this argument.  Sony shipped 38.1 million units by the end of June.  We know most of those units came at the end of June since finding a PS3 during June in America was pretty much impossible.  So those units hit shelves in July and now Ps3's are readily available in stores and are selling well. If someone thinks Sony stuffed channels with unwanted prodcut they don't know what they are talking about and people who think that evey single one of those 38.1 million shipped units have been sold at retail don't have a clue either.

Actual sold PS3's is probably closer to 37 than 36 but it's not that big of a deal.

What we should be wondering is how is the PS3 going to ship 15 million by the end of March?  Seems like a price cut is on the way or Sony will be adjusting this number after the second quarter. 

M.U.G.E.N said:

As far as I know 'mistaking' shipping vs sold and QUESTIONING vgc why their numbers aren't the same as shipment figures is ignorant and THAT is the bannable offense which makes sense unless your new to the site

Assuming that VG chartz numbers are accurate for sold that would mean there are over 6 times as many ps3s in stores then 360s worldwide, but that isn't the case, so bottom line VGs numbers are wrong in some way, are they under tracking ps3 or over tracking 360 or a little of both or does ps3 just sell a ton more in places that aren't tracked properly I don't know 

Overshipped

Undertracked

Overstocked

Is it really that important?

As as Sony fan I am just glad they are actually STOCKING their damn consoles now.  Was nice seeing 360s and PS3s finally sitting on store shelves next to one another! (Was at CompUSA/BestBuy yesterday).  All the above makes no difference if people cannot actually BUY your product.

Hyruken said:

If people really think PS3 sold an additional 2m in the past 3 months then they are just in denial.

or the fact that Sony Expanded the number of countries that the playstation product's get's shipped  to 7 more countries since late last year,

and only just now to

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ASIA STARTS
ITS PLAYSTATION® BUSINESS IN REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
PlayStation®3 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) First Hit
Philippine Market on 27th March, 2010

That's

2 million system's spread out among more countries since the PS3 was first released.

would you think the increased number of countries would also mean they have to ship more unit's a month to cover the extra countries...

so just taking that 2 million / by 7 the new number of expanded countries =

285,714 total for the entire quarter per country

that's :

71,429 total per month per country

I do not think that is out of the ordinary

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Hyruken said:

Why do Vgc need to admit they are wrong?

If you look at the numbers for the quarter vgc has it about 300k under what Sony said they did in the quarter.

It is most probable that this extra 2m is in stores. Sony overshipped as they most likely thought demand was going to be higher around the release of FFXIII/GOW3 etc.. When i went to collect my SC2 game today in my local shop there were still around 20-30 PS3's on the shelves (well not on a shelf as such, more like in the corner). If what Sony is saying is true then it is highly unlikely that places would stockpile that many.

We know for a fact these numbers are not in japan or americas as those places are tracked. In Japan you have two trackers and in America you have NPD, who are all used by the main companies to track their sales. Then once those sales have been tracked and released each company respond to them.

If it was 2m higher then it is now in 3 months those numbers would of been reflected in those months. Sony would not respond to them, and if they were wrong they would of said so in their press releases after each NPD. They would of also mentioned it in/around E3 that the gap was that close, that is the kind of thing Sony would use for sure.

Which leaves Europe. There is no chance in hell this 2m is here, why? Because that would mean for europe roughly 200k a week PS3 sales. On par with holiday 2009 sales. In the quietest time of the year you expect it to do those numbers? Get real.

The only logical explanation is Sony over shipped. There just is no evidence at all from anywhere other then Sony that those are the numbers. People seem to think that shipped = sold or that because a company say's it then it has to be true! If people really think PS3 sold an additional 2m in the past 3 months then they are just in denial.

You think all the consoles are in stores? Then do something for me, go into 10 random stores that sell both 360s and ps3s and count the ratio, if there are 6.6 times more ps3s then 360s then your right, if theres not then VG is wrong