By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Hey PC Gamers I Need Your Help!!!

Okay so I have an alienware laptop with an i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73GHz  (Whatever the hell that means), 4 GB of RAM, and a GTx 260m.

I recently purchased Starcraft 2 and mostly everything is going great except for two really annoying things:

1. Whenever I try to play a cutscene in the campaign it appears all distorted and blacked out. I can still make out certain details and the audio is fine but most, if not all, of the video is entirely discernible.

2. Whenever I plug in my power cable to my laptop the games runs at a significantly slower speed which is really ticking me off. My laptop runs out of battery in like an hour when I am playing games so having it plugged in is imperative.

If anyone knows why these two things are happening I would be very grateful.

Feel free to add me as your friend-PSN ID: Bobo012893

Around the Network

1. Try updating your graphics card's drivers from Nvidia's site.

2. I have no idea, just a guess: You wouldn't happen to have any power saving on when plugged in? That wouldn't make any sense... But I suppose it could cause a problem like that.

Zkuq said:

1. Try updating your graphics card's drivers from Nvidia's site.

2. I have no idea, just a guess: You wouldn't happen to have any power saving on when plugged in? That wouldn't make any sense... But I suppose it could cause a problem like that.

Thanks man I will try both

Okay so installing the drivers worked (Thank You!) but I still have the problem of my power cable lowering performance. I tried the power settings thing but all I could find were how to change my power settings from balanced to High Performance (Which did nothing).

Do you have any idea where I could find the settings you were talking about? I am running Windows 7.

PS Thanks for being patient with a PC noob

For the slow speed, try plugging in USB drives to increase your RAM. Here is a guide:

http://www.reviewsaurus.com/tips-tricks/windows-vista-use-your-flash-drive-as-ram/

It's for Vista, but win7 should be similar.

Around the Network
Bobo012893 said:

Okay so installing the drivers worked (Thank You!) but I still have the problem of my power cable lowering performance. I tried the power settings thing but all I could find were how to change my power settings from balanced to High Performance (Which did nothing).

Do you have any idea where I could find the settings you were talking about? I am running Windows 7.

PS Thanks for being patient with a PC noob

Alienware may make (and have pre-installed) a power control program. Can you post a screenshot of your control panel and start menu and I'll see if I notice something in that. It would be wierd to use low preformance mode while plugged in, those are normally for batteries but something wierd may have happened.

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)
Snesboy said:

For the slow speed, try plugging in USB drives to increase your RAM. Here is a guide:

http://www.reviewsaurus.com/tips-tricks/windows-vista-use-your-flash-drive-as-ram/

He said he has 4 GB of ram for god's sake.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Snesboy said:

More RAM is never a bad thing. Look at how much I have.

Snesboy said:
Zlejedi said:
Snesboy said:

More RAM is never a bad thing. Look at how much I have.

Lack of RAM doesn't explain why it runs slower when plugged.

Vectorferret's idea makes sense, they must have gotten powersaving backwards.