By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Reach new Screens. Seriously Gobsmacking.

Severance said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
Severance said:

my first xbox 360 game =]

Yeah ! I might get a 360S Arcade this year, but I doubt it cause I don't have much time for games these days. That and Fable III coming to PC, my PS3 needing YLOD repairs has put me off from getting one.

A question to 360 owners ? Do you need to have a Gold account to play online ? Can you use a silver account instead ?

Arcade is really crap i don't recommend it, get the limited one i am getting that

Also yes, you have to get Gold to play online.

5 months Gold are free with every 360 purchase btw.

Around the Network
Severance said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
Severance said:

Yeah ! I might get a 360S Arcade this year, but I doubt it cause I don't have much time for games these days. That and Fable III coming to PC, my PS3 needing YLOD repairs has put me off from getting one.

A question to 360 owners ? Do you need to have a Gold account to play online ? Can you use a silver account instead ?

Arcade is really crap i don't recommend it, get the limited one i am getting that

No thanks....$400 is not something I'm willing to shell out for something that I'm not even sure of buying this year.

GodOfWar_3ever said:
Severance said:

And selnor, I know it isn't a FPS, but play God of War III before you say anything about scale

But the draw distance in Reach is HUGE. Thats the real technical achievement imo. If there is no pop-in, its gonna be pretty amazing to play I guess.

By scale, I mean fully playable. You can have scale, but it's much easier to render when the player is never gonna see the scenery up close.

selnor said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
Severance said:

And selnor, I know it isn't a FPS, but play God of War III before you say anything about scale

But the draw distance in Reach is HUGE. Thats the real technical achievement imo. If there is no pop-in, its gonna be pretty amazing to play I guess.

By scale, I mean fully playable. You can have scale, but it's much easier to render when the player is never gonna see the scenery up close.

True. I agree. I'm not gonna take anything away from the technical achievements of this game.

But you do interact with the titans and scale in God of War III. I have yet to see anything as mindblowing as its scale in any other game.

And selnor, do you think Bungie delivered on saying that the graphics will be some of the best available on 360 ?

selnor said:
Barozi said:
selnor said:
blunty51 said:

Those screens don't necessarily yell "gobsmacking"

It'll be great nevertheless.

It's all relative to where the engine has used alot of power. Instead of producing scenery which is not attainable to the player ( where you dont have to render it as high a quality in it's entirity ) they have used alot of power to make huge scalable levels of which you can actually go. What this engine achieves is phenominal. 

Of course the textures etc might not be the best, but thats of course going to be the case when the levels are this massive and all scenery is reachable. It's almost rediculous. On top of that they have huge amounts of enemies with even better AI? How the hell did Bungie pull it off. It is as a whole package one seriously impressive Game engine. 

It's wow factor is not in best lighting etc, but in overall prowess. The scale is rediculous and they have managed to keep a high quality visual splendor to. 

Well done Bungie. You should without a doubt lease this engine out on 360. 

We need more games this gen with this sort of scale where the player can go where they can see while having high quality visuals to. 

Not ? Halo 3 did have true HDR and I'm pretty sure Reach has it too. And the lighting in Halo 3 is still one of the, if not the best of all console games.

It was a figure of speech. ( No Alan Wakes Lighting is unbelievable ) I mean it's not going to win in terms of sheer visuals ( animation, textures, lighting etc. ) But as a game engine as a whole, it's the most impressive thing Ive seen yet. Knowing Halo, IT is gonna be more chaotic, on a much larger scale, with these visuals. Impressive to the last.

Selnor, and I want you to take this as the actual affection it is, but  every new title you see seems to be the most impressive thing yet.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
GodOfWar_3ever said:
selnor said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
Severance said:

True. I agree. I'm not gonna take anything away from the technical achievements of this game.

But you do interact with the titans and scale in God of War III. I have yet to see anything as mindblowing as its scale in any other game.

And selnor, do you think Bungie delivered on saying that the graphics will be some of the best available on 360 ?

Yeah of course. 

It depends what you consider that to be.

I would imagine seeing 60 odd enemies vs 15 soldiers in single player with grenades etc going off has to be one of the most impressive sights in any game out there. Textures etc? no. But as a package I think Reach will wow more than any game to date when things are kicking off on screen. 

Barozi said:
Severance said:
GodOfWar_3ever said:
Severance said:

5 months Gold are free with every 360 purchase btw.

Is it like a 5 months card or 5 1 month cards?

Reasonable said:
selnor said:
Barozi said:
selnor said:
blunty51 said:

Those screens don't necessarily yell "gobsmacking"

It'll be great nevertheless.

It's all relative to where the engine has used alot of power. Instead of producing scenery which is not attainable to the player ( where you dont have to render it as high a quality in it's entirity ) they have used alot of power to make huge scalable levels of which you can actually go. What this engine achieves is phenominal. 

Of course the textures etc might not be the best, but thats of course going to be the case when the levels are this massive and all scenery is reachable. It's almost rediculous. On top of that they have huge amounts of enemies with even better AI? How the hell did Bungie pull it off. It is as a whole package one seriously impressive Game engine. 

It's wow factor is not in best lighting etc, but in overall prowess. The scale is rediculous and they have managed to keep a high quality visual splendor to. 

Well done Bungie. You should without a doubt lease this engine out on 360. 

We need more games this gen with this sort of scale where the player can go where they can see while having high quality visuals to. 

Not ? Halo 3 did have true HDR and I'm pretty sure Reach has it too. And the lighting in Halo 3 is still one of the, if not the best of all console games.

It was a figure of speech. ( No Alan Wakes Lighting is unbelievable ) I mean it's not going to win in terms of sheer visuals ( animation, textures, lighting etc. ) But as a game engine as a whole, it's the most impressive thing Ive seen yet. Knowing Halo, IT is gonna be more chaotic, on a much larger scale, with these visuals. Impressive to the last.

Selnor, and I want you to take this as the actual affection it is, but  every new title you see seems to be the most impressive thing yet.

Fair comment. I have bigged up to many games in the past. I feel with Alan Wake it's technically impressive and right up there, considering it's open world basis. What they achieved was technically a marvel in itself. 

Reach is another game like it. What you see is where you can go. It seems obvious to me that Bungie could have made the visuals alone better if they trimmed it down like all the top graphics games and made it narrowly linear and a small playable space. 

But they have definately put the Ram in the 360 to other uses. And I think the end product will wow when things are kicking off onscreen.

I am going INSANE waiting for this game!!!

the levels are big yes. But the graphics are nothing to boast about. But what have we learned from this gen? Graphics isnt everything

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st