By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shooters on the 3DS may play something like this

NOVA just became the first full FPS to implement gyroscope controls on the iPhone 4, and the result is an interesting new control scheme:

Theoretically, you could do all aiming with gyroscope by spinning yourself around in place, but rather than make yourself dizzy you're meant to use touch sliding for broad changes in aim while using tilt for minute aiming adjustments. Early reactions seem pretty favourable.

I'm not sure if these controls would work quite as well on 3DS, though. Firstly, because sliding with a stylus is generally more precise than sliding with a finger, there are fewer gains to be had by presenting a more precise way to aim. Secondly, because the DS is a more cumbersome and less balanced device than the iPhone, especially when using the stylus in one hand, tilt controls probably won't be as responsive on the 3DS as they are on the iPhone.

Any thoughts? Would anybody actually want to play a shooter like this on their DS?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

No, looks to hard to shoot and move at same time.

i'm going to go with a no.

the controls that come to mind are in uncharted 1 where a mix of analog stick and six axis.  it "worked" but it wasn't "fun".  this looks passable but by no means desirable.

It might get annoying. If I change my position, I lose my enemy :P

I think the slide/stick combo would work best. It worked welll even with the d-pad in Metroid Prime Hunters.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' " ~John 14:6 (NKJV)

Around the Network

looks really annoying to me 

The control scheme looks like it controls like ass. Turning seems like a major pain. Ugh. Not to mention, THUMBS in my way.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

needs buttons so this could work for 3ds

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

The 3DS seems like it was built specifically for this type of gameplay and also for augmented reality gameplay. This is the type of stuff I'm most looking forward to with the 3DS. The AG shooting game they had at e3 sounded like worlds of awesome.

I'd rather play it like Metroid Prime Hunters than anything else. But shooters don't work well on the DS, especially for me considering the L button on every DS that is around me is busted.