By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Atlus plans to support Demons Soul's servers till March 2011

Hoo my god! This is so bad :(

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
heruamon said:

Hmmmm...why doesn't PSN just pick up coverage of the game?

?

This has nothing to do with PSN itself.  Either a game allows online play via dedicated servers hosted by the publisher/studio, as is the case with Demon's Souls, or it uses a peer to peer connection, using a player's console as a host in lieu of a server.  PSN only comes into play when storing the game's trophy information, which is something inherent to each PSN member, not the game, and thus wouldn't disappear with Atlus' abandonment of its servers.

It's a common misconception that services like PSN/XBL are used as a base for online play.  In reality they are merely gateways that let ps3s/360s talk directly to each other.  The task of providing online play is on the shoulders of the makers of the game, who either provide servers (which cost money), or set up a P2P network (which doesn't cost a dime once in place and theoretically lasts forever).  The only things that cost Sony/MS money are the storage and retrieval of a member's information, like trophies/achievements, friends lists, games you've bought, etc., plus the perpetual network that let's people access this information at any given time.

I could swear that I saw somewhere that this was on a case-by-case basis...somebody posted a link one time of games hosted by XBL, as an example...oh well...maybe not.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

demon's souls 2 anyone?

This is very sad. Hopefully it's just a rumor.

I got the game but I havent even been able to play it yet.

Packie said:

Maintaining servers for a game like Demon's souls is very expensive, Atlus doesn't have that kind of budget. Let's face it, they're no Square-Enix.

I'm actually inclined to say THANK GOD to this comment, so I will. Thank God. Atlus is awesome.

P.S. I gotta continue this game, I haven't finished! I'm not a trophy whore, so it shouldn't be TOO rough, lol.

Around the Network

You can play the game offline but if you are online and you lose your connection you will get kicked out of the game...(so if you are playing for an hour without saving;..you are screwed especially if you have a bad connection)  or that is what happened a few times with my game;..

radiantshadow92 said:

demon's souls 2 anyone?

TGS is coming up soon! :D