By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Samsung crushes Sony. Look at the numbers.

woo I got samsung mobile phone and so too have 3 of my nieces .. Looking to get either a samsung, panasonic or LG tv between now and christmas too

Around the Network

Doesn't surprise me so much, because prices for Sony TVs are usually much higher than for Samsung/Toshiba/LG/... TVs. So people rather buy cheaper TVs, because the mainstream doesn't see why they should buy a Sony one.

I had to buy a new TV two years ago because my old one broke, but I didn't have enough money for a Sony one, so I bought a Toshiba. Would be interesting to see how Toshiba is doing.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

VXIII said:
SALES ($BIL)         PROFITS ($BIL) ASSETS ($BIL)   MARKET VALUE ($BIL)

Sony

88.89 3.70 124.12 17.12

Samsung

104.42 7.87 99.47 45.82

Panasonic

90.87 2.82 71.85 28.93

According to :

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/18/global-09_The-Global-2000_Prof.html

the date of the list is 04.08.09

Thank you, I appreciate this very much.

To the uninformed or economically disinclined, this may be difficult to interpret, therefore I will try my best. Sales are the raw numbers of shipments to retailers and point of purchase sales to the individual consumer. Profit is revenue after taxes and liabilities. Assets are a combination of liquid and illiquid assets. Liquid assets are cash and inventory. Illiquid assets are capital most common in the form of physical buildings and personnel (who are also considered a liability due to the cost of wages). Market value, I suspect without a key here, is a company's real and perceived market value taking into account total assets and liabilities both long term and short term.

Sony may have more Assets and Profits than Panasonic, but if you put those into the context of comparison with their short term and long term liabilities, then Sony has a lesser market value than Panasonic because of higher liabilities than assets.

Did I miss anything or completely flub on anything?

Sony TV's are damn expensive around here

I got a Panasonic TV more bang for the buck as they say

I guess Sony aren't doing as well as they used to. Wasn't there a time when they were the biggest consumer electronics manufacturer in the world?

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:
VXIII said:

Sony

88.89 3.70 124.12 17.12

Samsung

104.42 7.87 99.47 45.82

Panasonic

90.87 2.82 71.85 28.93

According to :

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/18/global-09_The-Global-2000_Prof.html

the date of the list is 04.08.09

Thank you, I appreciate this very much.

To the uninformed or economically disinclined, this may be difficult to interpret, therefore I will try my best. Sales are the raw numbers of shipments to retailers and point of purchase sales to the individual consumer. Profit is revenue after taxes and liabilities. Assets are a combination of liquid and illiquid assets. Liquid assets are cash and inventory. Illiquid assets are capital most common in the form of physical buildings and personnel (who are also considered a liability due to the cost of wages). Market value, I suspect without a key here, is a company's real and perceived market value taking into account total assets and liabilities both long term and short term.

Sony may have more Assets and Profits than Panasonic, but if you put those into the context of comparison with their short term and long term liabilities, then Sony has a lesser market value than Panasonic because of higher liabilities than assets.

Did I miss anything or completely flub on anything?

My knowlege is very limited so I checked wiki and I guess you're right

Market value is the price at which an asset would trade in a competitive Walrasian auction setting

Current assets are cash and other assets expected to be converted to cash

Sony may has more assets but Panasonic has more value for their assets

-------------------------

Toshiba

76.83 1.28 56.76

--------------------------------------------

Not as big as the others.

VXIII said:

Toshiba

76.83 1.28 56.76

--------------------------------------------

Not as big as the others.

Not bad, but I guessed they would be on par with Sony, so I was wrong.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

All parts are coming out of the same factories anyways. There's no point in paying a lot more for a different logo stamp.

I've definitely become a bit of Samsung fan in the last few years, we've got two Samsung TVs, my phone is a Samsung, and my MP3 player is a Samsung.

They seem to make affordable, high quality products.

VGChartz