By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are Sony's 1st Party Studios Leading The Way?

Arius Dion said:
leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
axumblade said:
Arius Dion said:

LoL.

Don't troll topics if you don't agree with them. Or at least give reasons other than "lol."

Don't know how this is trolling. And generally, I've seen others post nothing other than "LoL" on many a thread. So don't try and single me out, and I don't need to give any other reason besides LoL. But if you want me to give a reason. Here's 1; Mario Kart has damn near outsold EVERY PS3 exclusive this gen combined. how can any one claim Sony's leading the way when this is the case? 

I believe they're discussing quality here, so sales aren't really a factor.

Lame. as quality is all a matter of perspective. Sales is fact.

No one's trying to say nintendo isn't the most commercially successful, people are just thinking that sony has put out the best games. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

Fail thread is fail...

leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
axumblade said:
Arius Dion said:

LoL.

Don't troll topics if you don't agree with them. Or at least give reasons other than "lol."

Don't know how this is trolling. And generally, I've seen others post nothing other than "LoL" on many a thread. So don't try and single me out, and I don't need to give any other reason besides LoL. But if you want me to give a reason. Here's 1; Mario Kart has damn near outsold EVERY PS3 exclusive this gen combined. how can any one claim Sony's leading the way when this is the case? 

No one's trying to say nintendo isn't the most commercially successful, people are just thinking that sony has put out the best games. 

what if other people think that nintendo has the best games?

It's all a matter of opinion

@ CGI-Quality:  The Metroid Prime series and Metroid: Other M are 2nd party games.  Just like Halo: Reach, inFamous and Ratchet and Clank.

The IPs are owned by a first party, but that same first party is contracting an outside company to develop it for them.

axumblade said:
Arius Dion said:
axumblade said:
Arius Dion said:

LoL.

Don't know how this is trolling. And generally, I've seen others post nothing other than "LoL" on many a thread. So don't try and single me out, and I don't need to give any other reason besides LoL. But if you want me to give a reason. Here's 1; Mario Kart has damn near outsold EVERY PS3 exclusive this gen. how can any one claim Sony's leading the way when this is the case? 

It does not contribute to the thread other than to stir people up. If this were a thread were about a joke, then "lol" would be an understandable reply, and I have seen people banned for just "lol" before on this site iirc.

Fair enough.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
rockeford2010 said:
leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
axumblade said:
Arius Dion said:

LoL.

Then they could right an article about and we can discuss it peacefully like this one. Don't be so high strung. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

BHR-3 said:

When something is good, say it’s good. “If you like it say you like it”, are the lyrics to a popular song from a band named WCK. And it’s true. Why do people give flowers to the dead is beyond me; those flowers should be given to loved ones while they’re alive and can actually smell the thing. Because when you’re dead, believe me, you won’t have time to smell flowers. Is either you’re up with the savior or down with the heat. Enough of that.

Same thing with game developers. We don’t applaud them enough in my opinion, the games we enjoy took long years to develop. And never let anyone fool you into believing that games development is an easy thing, because they’re not. You want easy then go to a movie set in Hollywood, but if you want intricacy and painstaking, tedious work, welcome to the games development business. 

This generation of consoles have been one of the greatest in history. Never before have we seen such enhancements, so fast in any sector (well except cellphones with the constant rehashing of Androids and iPhones). The Wii revolutionized motion gaming, the Xbox 360 took online play to another level and the PS3 has brought us the most technically advanced experiences to date. And that’s what this article focuses on.

Think of it for a moment: The biggest, and most enhanced titles this generation have called one platform home: PS3. You’ve heard from Jack Tretton, Kaz Hirai and many other Sony executives – even Kevin Butler, that titles like Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, and Killzone 3 amongst others are only possible on the PS3. It’s true.

But remember, those games not being possible on any other platform’s not only because they’re built on the PS3; most importantly, it’s because of the developers who make those games. That’s what make them so amazing, the devs. Recently, in an interview with Nowgamer, Brian Fleming and Chris Zimmerman, bosses of Sucker Punch, acknowledged that inFamous 2 was only possible on the PS3:

“If you look at games like Uncharted 2 that’s a game that you actually can’t do on Xbox no matter how clever you are, there’s just more processing power on the PS3. inFamous 2 is going to be the same way. You’ll look at it and see that there’s no way we could have done this game on 360.”

But why? Was it because it was built on PS3, or was it because of the technical skills of the men and women at Sucker Punch? You see, they sort help from legendary studio, owned by Sony, Naught Dog. The team showed them many secrets, and now, according to this trailer, the game will be something to behold. It’s now becoming one of Sony’s most anticipated titles in 2011 alongside Killzone 3.

The games that have received the most critical praise in the graphics, narrative, gameplay enhancing, and storytelling departments can only be had on the PlayStation 3. Look backwards or forward, and the evidence will stare you in the face:

Backwards:

God of War III

Heavy Rain

Uncharted 2

Killzone 2

inFamous

LittleBigPlant

MAG

Forward:

Uncharted 3

inFamous 2

Gran Turismo 5

Killzone 3

Resistance 3

LittleBigPlanet 2

The Last Guardian

SOCOM 4

Oh, don’t get it twisted. The Xbox 360 house some of the biggest titles anywhere. From the upcoming Gears of War 3 to Halo: Reach. And Nintendo’s Wii is home to some of the best selling titles like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and Wii Sports Resorts amongst many others.

However when it comes to groundbreaking, genre changing, industry enhancing titles, you’ll find them under one roof: Sony’s third major console, the venerable PlayStation 3.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/07/06/sony-1st-party-studios-continue-to-lead-the-way/

he forgot Twisted Metal, The Agent and MGS4

gears and halo are third party.

microsoft then acquired the ip of halo

CGI-Quality said:

I'm not sure you can distinguish a 1st Party IP from a 1st Party game. If the IP is internal, it's chances of going anywhere are nill. No, not all 1st Party titles are internally developed, but if it belongs to that company, what are you going to call it, a 2nd/3rd Party title?

Halo is Microsoft's, Demon's Souls is Sony's, Metroid is Nintendo's. In Metroid/Halo's cases (since they've been around longer) have you ever heard them considered to be anything else but 1st Party?

Besides the fact that we're off topic and that point is moot anyway, that's the furtherst I'm going with it.

Hynad said it the best.

Hynad said:

Second-party developer

A second party developer is a company that is contracted by a first-party developer to make their games.

And this thread has been off topic since the lousy OP. The man did no reaserch and doesn't know the difference between a first and second party game. Naturally the thread would breakdown into argueing between what is and what isn't first party.

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

rockeford2010 said:
leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
leatherhat said:
Arius Dion said:
axumblade said:
Arius Dion said:

LoL.

Exactly. The author of this 'article' is trying to manipulate the arena and twist things in a box where he can make such a claim, and try and justify it.

The bottom line is, if the majority of people thought Sony had the best first party games, they wouldn't be in the predicament they are in this gen. And their games wouldn't struggle to get to 5m.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Quality wise? Without question

Sales wise? Not as good as it could be.

But: Quality > Quantity.