By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Obsidian wants to work on Chrono Trigger: Yay or Nay?

I would love a Chrono WRPG, hell the game was kinda a precursor to the modern WRPG

Around the Network
Ssenkahdavic said:
Porcupine_I said:
twesterm said:

So did people just not read the article and read the headline only?

they always do that!

Shhh, its kinda funny.

And I understand all the hate Obsidian gets, but come on!  KOTOR 2 was great, gameplay wise, story wise, character wise (ok fine...maybe not the end)

Regardless, I would become sick if they were allowed to touch CT.   (although these days I really do not know if SE would do a better job or not...)

I'm sure I would have loved KotoR 2 if I could have finished.  Sadly though I got about 10 hours in and encountered a game stopping bug (someone I was supposed to talk to in Nar Shada was stuck in their old spot and wouldn't take to me) so that ended that.  I tried going to an earlier save and no luck.  :-/

twesterm said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
Porcupine_I said:
twesterm said:

they always do that!

Shhh, its kinda funny.

And I understand all the hate Obsidian gets, but come on!  KOTOR 2 was great, gameplay wise, story wise, character wise (ok fine...maybe not the end)

Regardless, I would become sick if they were allowed to touch CT.   (although these days I really do not know if SE would do a better job or not...)

I'm sure I would have loved KotoR 2 if I could have finished.  Sadly though I got about 10 hours in and encountered a game stopping bug (someone I was supposed to talk to in Nar Shada was stuck in their old spot and wouldn't take to me) so that ended that.  I tried going to an earlier save and no luck.  :-/

If it was on the computer it is a patch issue.  I played it on release on the PC, and remember having to update to a specific patch at some  point, then having to un/re-install the game to get past that point.  One of the later patches allowed me to finish the game with 1/2ish crashes (it is not the last one tho, I believe that one causes more problems than it fixed)

Hell, you could bug out the game and get the Maiden while playing a female, giving you a VERY interesting scene later on (instead of the terrible Apprentice)

Their game couldn't be worse than Cross...

Still, much as I like Obsidian their style would be a mismatch with Chrono Trigger.  It's probably best that this not happen, for both parties' sakes.

O-D-C said:

I would love a Chrono WRPG, hell the game was kinda a precursor to the modern WRPG

?!?

Ssenkahdavic said:
twesterm said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
Porcupine_I said:
twesterm said:

they always do that!

Shhh, its kinda funny.

If it was on the computer it is a patch issue.  I played it on release on the PC, and remember having to update to a specific patch at some  point, then having to un/re-install the game to get past that point.  One of the later patches allowed me to finish the game with 1/2ish crashes (it is not the last one tho, I believe that one causes more problems than it fixed)

Hell, you could bug out the game and get the Maiden while playing a female, giving you a VERY interesting scene later on (instead of the terrible Apprentice)

That was back when the game was still new and there wasn't a patch for it.  At the moment, I really dont' care to bother finishing the game.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

Their game couldn't be worse than Cross...

Still, much as I like Obsidian their style would be a mismatch with Chrono Trigger.  It's probably best that this not happen, for both parties' sakes.

O-D-C said:

?!?

What I mean is that Chrono Trigger was like an evolutionary step for the JRPG, less linear then previous Square titles, u had multiple paths, multiple endings, dialogue options all things that are now staples of the WRPG.

I support any new work done on Chrono Trigger. Especially work done by a potentially great develper. Yay.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

O-D-C said:

What I mean is that Chrono Trigger was like an evolutionary step for the JRPG, less linear then previous Square titles, u had multiple paths, multiple endings, dialogue options all things that are now staples of the WRPG.

I see.  My surprise came from the fact that all the qualities you mentioned were already abundant in WRPGs by the time Trigger came along, and I believe that games like Ultima and Wizardry are a greater influence on modern WRPGs than Trigger: even The Elder Scrolls predates Trigger's release.

I like Obisidian i thought Kotor 2 was  great (improvment over KOTOR 1 , shame about the tons cut content) but Chrono Trigger does not need to be remade or reworked it is a timeless classic that plays well , and still looks very good.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZkcoB7RiMg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZkcoB7RiMg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>