By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Obsidian wants to work on Chrono Trigger: Yay or Nay?

lestatdark is the king of derailing threads.. I swear.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
leatherhat said:
lestatdark said:
leatherhat said:
lestatdark said:
leatherhat said:

Chrono should be so lucky. Fallout 1 and 2 are two of the best rpg's ever. 

Obsidian today very different from the Black Isle days. Black Isle FTW, Obsidian can go hide in the biggest hole ever.

Havent played Alpha protocol so I can't comment on that, but KOTOR2 was good and Fallout New Vegas should be awesome as well. If nothing else it would be a very interesting change of pace. I'm all for it. 

KOTOR 2 was half the game it was meant to be. Do yourself a favour and download the Restoration Project if you haven't yet. It pretty much gives you the entire KOTOR 2 experience, with an actual ending. 

I give you that Fallout New Vegas is going to be amazing though, but not because of Obsidian. Jorge Oscuro is one of the lead developers for New Vegas. He's the creator of the best Oblivion mod ever created, OOO. Pretty much transformed Oblivion in one of the best WRPG experiences ever.

KOTOR 2 was rushed to release, so you have to put the blame for incompleteness on the publisher. And OOO is good, but what man can't make a game- he needs Obsidian to truly make it great. I haven't played the Restoration project, Ill have to check it out. 

I'm not arguing that Obsidian can pull off a good game, but KOTOR 2 did have a lot of bugs that weren't just to blame on the rush to release the game. And that also doesn't explain why they pulled out the full functional HK Droid factory planet for no reason. They screwed up massively with KOTOR 2. Yes, the publisher has a lot of blame, but so do Obsidian.

As for Oscuro, of course he can't make the game alone, but he can create the mechanics and implement them in a way that no one in Bethesda, and probably, Obsidian can. Actually, I have a slight hunch that Hardcore mode is due to him.

Your points are valid. I just have faith in Obsidian to do good work I guess. And when I talked about Oscuru,  obvisouly he needs a team to make a game, but he needs a great team to make a great game. I guess I didn't get my point across. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Khuutra said:
lestatdark said:
Khuutra said:

Chris Avellone writing in the Chrono Trigger universe would be one of the best things you or I have ever seen, and both of us know it.

Even if it was guaranteed to be a buggy mess, stick his name under "Script Writer" and "Principle Writer" and "Scenario Writer" and you know you would be all over it.

If he can pull out a Planescape: Torment on Chrono story then yeah. Otherwise, I sense a Tanaka mess up all over again.

Sir if you are implying that there is any way in which the Sith Lords script was lacking, then you and I are goign to have a fight.

Neither Kreia nor the True Sith story had as much depth or relevance as Revan and Malak had for KOTOR. Of course, this is my opinion. I've got to concede in the point of the Exile back-story though, it was very well put. 

But my comment wasn't related to the lack, or not, of quality in KOTOR 2 story. KOTOR 2 has one of the best stories in any WRPG i've played, but it falters to KOTOR in my perspective. 

What I meant was that the only way to surpass the quality of the story created in Chrono Trigger was if they could have a Planescape: Torment quality story for it.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Xxain said:

lestatdark is the king of derailing threads.. I swear.

My initial comment was completely OT o.o

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:

Neither KREIA nor the True Sith story had as much depth or relevance as Revan and Malak had for KOTOR. Of course, this is my opinion. I've got to concede in the point of the Exile back-story though, it was very well put. 

But my comment wasn't related to the lack, or not, of quality in KOTOR 2 story. KOTOR 2 has one of the best stories in any WRPG i've played, but it falters to KOTOR in my perspective. 

What I meant was that the only way to surpass the quality of the story created in Chrono Trigger was if they could have a Planescape: Torment quality story for it.

Just kidding! (or am I)

I will spare both of us the effort and trauma of a tirade related to why Kreia is not only the best character in that series or that IP (Star Wars in general) but also the best character in the entire medium. I will spare us this out of respect for you and an acknowledgment that different value sets can still be valid. I will spare us this grudgingly, fist quaking, a beard ready to sprout from my neck in outrage as every fiber in my being screams to defend what I consider the best script in the medium.

I don't understand why one would put Chrono Trigger's story on a pedestal, though. It was very good for what it was, but it was not a work of depth or drama to a degree higher than any Dragon Quest. Very good for what it is, but comparing it to an Avellone work would be bizarre.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
lestatdark said:

Neither KREIA nor the True Sith story had as much depth or relevance as Revan and Malak had for KOTOR. Of course, this is my opinion. I've got to concede in the point of the Exile back-story though, it was very well put. 

Just kidding! (or am I)

I will spare both of us the effort and trauma of a tirade related to why Kreia is not only the best character in that series or that IP (Star Wars in general) but also the best character in the entire medium. I will spare us this out of respect for you and an acknowledgment that different value sets can still be valid. I will spare us this grudgingly, fist quaking, a beard ready to sprout from my neck in outrage as every fiber in my being screams to defend what I consider the best script in the medium.

I don't understand why one would put Chrono Trigger's story on a pedestal, though. It was very good for what it was, but it was not a work of depth or drama to a degree higher than any Dragon Quest. Very good for what it is, but comparing it to an Avellone work would be bizarre.

That's the entire Quirk of Chrono trigger. The main story wasn't where the brilliance of the script was located, but rather, on all the subtleties and nuances that happened surrounding the characters and the NPC's.

I'll give you an example. One of the side-quests that you can do on CT which involved Robo, which was trying to grow back the forest between Guardia castle and Porre town, was brilliantly scripted. And the Rainbow Shell quest was probably one of the best scripted side-quests ever done for a JRPG, and sadly it was one of the side-quests that most people missed, because it was extremely subtle. Hats off to Toma XIII. 

Current PC Build

I think it disgusts me that people hate JRPG developers or WRPG developers. I think all titles should be given a shot under a different developers. You never know if something magnificent can come about.

It would be cool if Obsidian had the opportunity. I would like to see what they can do with such an awesome game from a developers who has a great ability for story.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

i wouldnt like the game if they made it, i havent liked any of their games much. they were ok, but nothing truly worthy of being handed a good ip like the  chrono series.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Porcupine_I said:
twesterm said:

So did people just not read the article and read the headline only?

they always do that!

Shhh, its kinda funny.

And I understand all the hate Obsidian gets, but come on!  KOTOR 2 was great, gameplay wise, story wise, character wise (ok fine...maybe not the end)

Regardless, I would become sick if they were allowed to touch CT.   (although these days I really do not know if SE would do a better job or not...)

Obsidian should write.

Mistuda should make the soundtrack.

Square Enix should deliver the graphic engine (since they have the best looking multiplatform game).

Sakaguchi should direct.

=

WIN

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.