By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Devs Help Shape Next PlayStation

Fumanchu said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Darth Tigris said:

also because 360 is nothing but like PC,they try to compare it with the new architectured PS3 CELL processor.they keep whinning that they  have to spend more time on PS3 to know how to make it work

VALVE's Gabe Newell is a very very good example of whinning and bullshiting when you don't wanna work and just want to do the job on easy PC and 360 which they are used to.

They are copying Microsoft because this same approach is what MS took when planning the 360.

MS didn't take any such approach.they just consulted their DIRECT X software team.don't bullshit.

That's the point though - they want to be seen as the 'easy' platform this time so that future 'Left 4 Deads' etc aren't denied a playstation release and other multi-plats ala 'The Orange Box' aren't offloaded to other developers to fuck up handle. 

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12066/Microsoft-to-Epic-You-Cost-Me-a-Billion-Dollars/

I remember reading this article, which claims that Epic cost MS a billion dollars because through their consultation prior to releasing the Xbox 360 they insisted upon 512MB of RAM instead of the 256MB they originally planned.  I don't believe Epic is part of the DIRECT X software team?

I don't think insist is the right word as the final decision always lay with MS. Epic just showed showed 2 screenshots: 256Mb RAM vs 512Mb RAM and MS came to a decision based on that. Probably helped that Epic was also the UE3 creators.

Around the Network
gurglesletch said:

Sounds like a strategy that could work well for them since they have a lot of devs in first party.

Microsoft basically did the same thing with 360, and it seems to have worked out there.  Epic's usually credited as being the voice of reason that got 360's RAM bumped up to 512MB from 256MB.

Solid_Snake4RD said:

it wasn't Kutaragi's arrogance,please stop with these comments

SONY's departments were isolated from the begining and they never really came togather.also they too big.and they never came together for software and digital ERA

how is SONY copying 360

Isolation does not explain bad design. Even a hack like Edison could figure out not to make a device that doesn't have an explicit purpose for the end user. Designing a game console so that it can play games is just common sense. Arrogance is about the only explanation available. Someone decided they wanted to make a beast of technology regardless of how well it would actually function. That is just plain dumb even if it was one person working by their lonesome.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

makingmusic476 said:

That's a very good sign, an it relates to something I was talking about in another thread the other day. 

The reason Nintendo has always successfully integrated new hardware and control schemes into their consoles is because their software leads work directly with their hardware designers.  They included a joystick in the N64's controller expressly to enable easier movement in 3D, for example, while their competitors stuck with the simpler SNES controller template, only borrowing the idea from Nintendo later.  Same thing with the DS and Wii.

That being said, I think this move by Sony will have more to do with making their next console more developer friendly, as well as probably getting a few OS ideas from the creative minds at SCEWWS - features that could improve the gampelay experience like cross game voice chat.  Maybe clan support or something.

Hopefully with Sony's internal devs tossing around ideas, it'll lead to a more robust next gen offering that is also far more developer friendly.

I loled... because it's so true.

(it seems a bit late to catch on though...)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Gnizmo said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

it wasn't Kutaragi's arrogance,please stop with these comments

SONY's departments were isolated from the begining and they never really came togather.also they too big.and they never came together for software and digital ERA

how is SONY copying 360

Isolation does not explain bad design. Even a hack like Edison could figure out not to make a device that doesn't have an explicit purpose for the end user.

wat??????????????????????????????

Designing a game console so that it can play games is just common sense.

well it can play games and good ones.now if you want to add more features is just plus

Arrogance is about the only explanation available. Someone decided they wanted to make a beast of technology regardless of how well it would actually function. That is just plain dumb even if it was one person working by their lonesome.

it actually works pretty smooth and had best looking games atm

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Gnizmo said:

well it can play games and good ones.now if you want to add more features is just plus

Whether or not it works is irrelevant. That wasn't the intent. That means the fucked up badly on the engineering side. Really badly. I have seen engineers laughed out of class for these kinds of blunders in the under-grad level. The design decision was stupid, and should never have been considered seriously. Not even for a second.

Gnizmo said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Gnizmo said:

Whether or not it works is irrelevant. That wasn't the intent. That means the fucked up badly on the engineering side. Really badly. I have seen engineers laughed out of class for these kinds of blunders in the under-grad level. The design decision was stupid, and should never have been considered seriously. Not even for a second.

how is it irrelevant????????????????????????

and how the hell did they fuck up badly?????????????????????????????

So they are working on a ps4,that's all I got from this thread. lol

oldschoolfool said:

So they are working on a ps4,that's all I got from this thread. lol

man you use too much lol,its cliche

Solid_Snake4RD said:

how is it irrelevant????????????????????????

and how the hell did they fuck up badly?????????????????????????????

Good implementation does not excuse piss poor specifications. The games would be better, and more plentiful with a properly designed system. You could get games at Uncharted 2 et al level of visuals and polish much earlier in the generation. Look at how well effective Nintendo is at getting top level games out insanely early in the consoles development cycle.

And they fucked up because anyone in their first year of engineering school should know better than to create a device with no set purpose. To make that mistake is, quite frankly, inexcusable from a hardware design perspective. Someone can always succeed despite handicaps, but those should never have been there. When you realize their intention was never to make money on the hardware, but the software side the whole situation just becomes comical. Don't worry about how easy it is to develop software for a device meant to make the majority of its money off of software. Who though that was a good idea?