By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Devs Help Shape Next PlayStation

common sense is common sense

Around the Network
RageBot said:

Why didn't they do that before? |:

Arrogance.  Wasn't Kutaragi's way.  

So Sony is copying what MS did with the 360?  GOOD FOR THEM.  They're already learning from their mistakes this gen and will be better off for it.

One thing that will be interesting going forward, though, is with Sony and MS both taking this route next time around, how different will their next consoles really be from one another?  What will distinguish them?  

This is a good idea.

I wonder how the PS4 will turn out. Would the PS4 have more cell type processers now that devs are used to working on those type of processers?

A lot of those devs have already invested a lot learning to program using them. At the same type is does take a lot of effort to learn how to develop using them. Some devs making multiplat games might want PS4 to be similar to the nextXbox.

"One thing that will be interesting going forward, though, is with Sony and MS both taking this route next time around, how different will their next consoles really be from one another?  What will distinguish them? "

The same thing that has always distinguished consoles: the games.

Darth Tigris said:
RageBot said:

So Sony is copying what MS did with the 360?  GOOD FOR THEM.  They're already learning from their mistakes this gen and will be better off for it.

One thing that will be interesting going forward, though, is with Sony and MS both taking this route next time around, how different will their next consoles really be from one another?  What will distinguish them?  

First party games being the most obvious answer, but also each console's integration with its company's other devices.  For example the 360 and Zune, or the ps3 and Sony's home theater systems.  Then there's services like Sony's Qriocity, and I'm sure the PSP2 will be much more heavily integrated with the ps3.  The PSN didn't even exist when the PSP came out, but they've come along way in the past few years, adding things like the PS Store to the PSP's firmware.  I'm sure the PSP2 will ofer far more robust PSN support, like allowing you to message your friends, trophies, and a much improved vesion of Remote Play.  And I'm sure whenever they start selling ps2 games on PSN, they'll be playable on both ps3/ps4 and psp2.

Around the Network
silicon said:

This is a good idea.

I wonder how the PS4 will turn out. Would the PS4 have more cell type processers now that devs are used to working on those type of processers?

A lot of those devs have already invested a lot learning to program using them. At the same type is does take a lot of effort to learn how to develop using them. Some devs making multiplat games might want PS4 to be similar to the nextXbox.

I'm sure they will, if only for BC.

BC is a just about a necessity going into next gen, thanks to PSN and XBL.  It'd be absolutely silly for Sony to allow you to play any ps1 titles you bought through the network on their next console, but not ps3/psn games.  Their next console should be compatible with everything that is compatible with the ps3.  They might even let you play psp games on ps4 in addition to psp2, given the psp won't be their primary handheld device anymore.

I'm sure we'll also see ps2 BC reappear again at some point via emulation, if not later this gen then at the latest the start of next gen.  Sony wants to sell ps2 games on the PSN, and the easiest way to facilitate that is via software emulation, which makes it very easy for publishers to bring their games to PSN, similar to making a disc-based ps3 game also available on PSN and playable via the HDD.

BC is a must, as PS4/X720 may be new hardware, but PSN/XBL are perpetual platforms that must be supported by all new hardware from here on out.

RageBot said:

as earlier SONY's departments were too isolated and there developer gallery was also short.they have expanded alot now

Darth Tigris said:
RageBot said:

it wasn't Kutaragi's arrogance,please stop with these comments

SONY's departments were isolated from the begining and they never really came togather.also they too big.and they never came together for software and digital ERA

how is SONY copying 360

makingmusic476 said:
silicon said:

This is a good idea.

I'm sure they will, if only for BC.

BC is a just about a necessity going into next gen, thanks to PSN and XBL.  It'd be absolutely silly for Sony to allow you to play any ps1 titles you bought through the network on their next console, but not ps3/psn games.  Their next console should be compatible with everything that is compatible with the ps3.  They might even let you play psp games on ps4 in addition to psp2, given the psp won't be their primary handheld device anymore.

I'm sure we'll also see ps2 BC reappear again at some point via emulation, if not later this gen then at the latest the start of next gen.  Sony wants to sell ps2 games on the PSN, and the easiest way to facilitate that is via software emulation, which makes it very easy for publishers to bring their games to PSN, similar to making a disc-based ps3 game also available on PSN and playable via the HDD.

BC is a must, as PS4/X720 may be new hardware, but PSN/XBL are perpetual platforms that must be supported by all new hardware from here on out.

yes they will have to follow with CELL unless they make a super new processor that can beat even the CELL

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Darth Tigris said:
RageBot said:

it wasn't Kutaragi's arrogance,please stop with these comments

SONY's departments were isolated from the begining and they never really came togather.also they too big.and they never came together for software and digital ERA

how is SONY copying 360

But what does that have to do with seeking out the input of developers when planning out the next console?  The architecture of previous Playstation consoles has always been known to be anything but developer friendly.  That has nothing to do with the other departments of Sony; that was a failure of SCE alone.  And who was at the head of this?  The father of the Playstation.  He's gone now, so Sony fans don't have that to worry about anymore.

They are copying Microsoft because this same approach is what MS took when planning the 360.

So why are you taking offense to this?  There's nothing to take offense to, man.  This is nothing but good news for the PS4.