By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN: Devs Help Shape Next PlayStation

Gnizmo said:

Although to counter somewhat the PS3 being designed with games, you might remember the big changes that had to be done last second on the PS3. Originally it was to have 2 cells, and no GPU which ultimately proved to be far far too hard to work with and thus led to a very last second change.

and why was it hard to work,cause it was new not because it had 2 cell and GPU but because the devs didn't know how to wrok with it

you are again and again just saying that it should be easy but it can't it when you are bringing in new technology as people don't know it yet and have to learn it and only then can they use it.

it can only be easy if they just put the existing architecture in PS3.do you really want that and will you pay big for it and will it stop piracy,no it won't do any of those

and just because they wanted two CELL and no GPU,that doesn't make it not designed for games.it just makes it a new way to design games.rethink

From memory the GPU is almost off the shelf PC parts which causes some problems.

yes it was included to ease as people knew to work with it

and the same thing you are wanting with the CPU but that couldn't be done as if CPU was same as older tech then we wouldn't have the power,the low cost and we would have piracy

It kind of cuts against both of our arguments though as they did make changes to an original design for games,

again they didn't chnage the original design for games but to ease the devs so that they can make games

just because its a new tech doesn't mean its not for games

but the original design was quite obviously not up to snuff by their own standards for game development.

how wasn't it up to snuff,it was just different

what do you expect them to just continue with the same old tech for ages

Around the Network

@Solid
Ok, I see you have no interest in actually discussing the topic with me. I have told you repeatedly that I can't read your posts like that. I will sadly ignore all your responses then. Hopefully someone will reiterate any relevant points.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

hunter_alien said:

Good startegy. Now the real question is, will this be aplied to the PS4 only or maybe the PSP2?

Maybe both. 

Currently playing

MLB 09: The Show(PS3)

Gnizmo said:

@Solid
Ok, I see you have no interest in actually discussing the topic with me. I have told you repeatedly that I can't read your posts like that. I will sadly ignore all your responses then. Hopefully someone will reiterate any relevant points.

how the hell can't you read my posts?

are you blind that you can't differentiate between Italic light colour,underlined and mine bold sentences

unless you just don't like you being proved wrong

Solid_Snake4RD said:

are you blind that you can't differentiate between Italic light colour,underlined and mine bold sentences

I have demonstrated once already that you improperly highlight quotes often, and I have seen it before. I do not feel like re-reading my own posts and trying to pick out the parts you failed to correctly under-line. Further it creates excessive clutter making the entire thread unreadable. You have never once come close to proving me wrong, and I have proven in this, and every other tread that I will respond to any an all clearly written counter-points.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

umm yeah. I think it's a great idea. Though Nintendo did that already after the backlash from N64. NGC was the developers system in regards to what developers wanted. See where that got them. I'm not saying it's not important. It's in fact VERY important and I'm glad Sony has learned a tiny bit of humility and are getting input this time around, but this is how  I see it as what happened.

PS1 vs N64
NIntendo this time to out do competition tries to produce the most baddass system with help from professional hardware developers of CGI. Nintendo has the popularity hype lead. new comer Sony is facing an uphill batter. Hardware wise Sony PS1 is years behind. However Sony introduces successfully an element that both makes developers jobs easier and allows for a new experience for gamers. The CD. An old technology introduced into gaming.
Winner SONY

PS2 vs NGC
Nintendo after getting their @$$ handed to them. Decides to go all out in hardware design technique and makes a system that supposed to be super friendly to developers. In that they succeeded very well. Many developers who worked on the GC commented that it's a dream to develop for. PS2 has lowest hardware, but had a early lead and has consumer and developer support from previous gen.
Winner SONY

PS3 vs Wii
Sony produces the most baddass system of incredible power by hiring IBM to produce an incredible CPU. Sony is the most popular console coming into the generation and has developer support. The system however launches late and offers nothing more that didn't exist in the previous generation(better does not mean new experience). Xbox brought PC online, NGC and XBox had graphics. PS2 brought in DVD, PS3 is going to try and bring in BR. It's just a step up. Though a poweful one. Nintendo takes a passive role knowing their uphill battle. Instead provides gamers with a new experience of an old technology into the console arena. Sony get's the @$$ kicked.
Winner Nintendo

When I head that project dolphin from Nintendo was talking to developers. I thought this would be a changing point for Nintendo. They would reclaim the first position. Why? because developers would want to support the console that is easy to develop for and faster to get games out on.

Well that didn't happen and closing the PS2 to Wii rise thought me a valuable lesson. That marketing will go where they THINK the money is. PS1 had to prove itself and did. There is a lot going on in market decisions that just this or that, but importantly I will tell you this and it's relevant.

Being developer friendly means shit to gamers and business. In the PC world this is different, but the PC world is soooo flexible that it has room to breath. The Console world is extremely rigid and it's a close environment that you have to play by manufactures games. As Console developers you don't get much of a choice at all. You need to develop within the business world. It's cutthroat and harsh.

So I'm glad Sony is listening to developers. The Cell maybe powerful but it's taking tooo long for developers to utilize it. Sony next console however even if it's developer friendly will have no impact. Sony is following Nintendo's reactionary footsteps. If this path remains true and Nintendo goes arrogant again. Nintendo may have risen to heaven, but Sony PS5 should shake the foundations of heaven. However the game has changed. Nintendo humility has made them a much more dangerous advisory, but only if you decide to take them on. They are very happy to let you do what you want and seem even happier if you want to work together, but as soon as you stand in front with your weapons drawn. They will out maneuver you rather than try to take you down.

So Sony great job. I'm glad your learning, but next gen. PS4 bring something really new to the table.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

RageBot said:
Darth Tigris said:
RageBot said:

Why didn't they do that before? |:

Arrogance.  Wasn't Kutaragi's way.  

So Sony is copying what MS did with the 360?  GOOD FOR THEM.  They're already learning from their mistakes this gen and will be better off for it.

One thing that will be interesting going forward, though, is with Sony and MS both taking this route next time around, how different will their next consoles really be from one another?  What will distinguish them?  

Don't you mean... doing what Nintendo and SEGA (during the DC days) did?

MS copied them first you know :P

Don't have a problem with that.  Sega messed up, though, with the Saturn.  Too hard to program for, especially for 3-D.

Gnizmo said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

I have demonstrated once already that you improperly highlight quotes often, and I have seen it before. I do not feel like re-reading my own posts and trying to pick out the parts you failed to correctly under-line. Further it creates excessive clutter making the entire thread unreadable. You have never once come close to proving me wrong, and I have proven in this, and every other tread that I will respond to any an all clearly written counter-points.

how am i improperly highlighting post

i unline every single line of your post and then reply  to it individualy

what does excessive slutter has to do with you replying to me.now you are just throwing tantrums.oh,i don't like the whole thing,its not neat so go to hell