By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I know Sony has a history of  supporting the older consoles, but I don't see why MS can't do the same. Nvidia was the main problem for the original Xbox, so they HAD to stop producing it. This is different this gen.

yes this is a gen but falling sales could be a reason to stop supporting

and low sales like now at low price can tell us how sales in future will perform

and resources to push a new console may also take them off supporting 360.as MS already struggling with their console at a low price with other competitor at high price,what will they do with the competitor at low price

and MS said previously,they didn't make an XBOX handheld cause then they couldn't support the 360 in the same way.so they might do the same with 720

-You seem to oversimplify things to suit your argument. For one, the perceived value of a low priced arcade will be different from the perceive value of a low priced xbox 360 redesigned. And you seem to forgot to factor in the digital value of the xbox 360..There was an article that claimed that xbox live generated 1.2billion revenue for last fiscal year..Thats 1.2billion reason to continuing support the xbox 360 for quiet sometime. TBH if anyone is struggling this gen, its SONY.

-and could you please provide a source to your handheld argument where you claimed "microsoft said...blah blah". Because you dont need to look far than to the PSP being raped by DS to see why microsoft didnt want to invest in this market.

Around the Network

Damn, what are some of you smoking. The PS3 will be on the market for another 8 years? REALLY?

But the Xbox 360 will be dead in 3- 4 years? REALLY?

The customer decides which console will be supported, not the manufacturer. Why should an US retailer support the PS3, but not the 360 even though the Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 for almost every month in the US since 2006? I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese retailer drop the Xbox 360 as soon as the new gen starts, but not in the US. Europe is pretty even, the lead of one console over the other won't be big enough to drop one of them. I would be surprised if UK drops the Xbox 360 but supports the PS3. Same thing for France just the other way around.

People are spinning the numbers like Sony is the real champ this gen. But seriously, they are not. They are the ones selling less than the competition, they are the ones losing the most money, they are the ones failing to achieve the numbers they did in the previous generations.

But I am confident, that you guys will spin this as well.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Dude, just let's waiting 'til gen ends. :)

people fighting really hard for second place.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Killiana1a said:
joeorc said:
Killiana1a said:
joeorc said:
jarrod said:
joeorc said:
Killiana1a said:

As I stated earlier in this thread, Sony took a $4.7 billion loss from when the PS3 was released until it started becoming profitable, which was around 2009.

That $4.7 billion was a real cost incurred by Sony and until they manage to recoup that $4.7 billion and then some from Walkman sales, television sales, or whatever, then the PS3 cannot be considered a worthwile, profitable venture that beckons a PS4.

All of that profit the PS3 is making now is what Accounting 101 calls a "credit" and that $4.7 billion loss is what Accounting 101 calls a "debit." Sony has a lot of credits to make from the PS3 in order to remove the parentheses from the red (4.7) billion.

I am just wondering what kind of uninformed investor invests in companies such as Sony who have shown with the PS3, that they are willing to take a $4.7 billion loss and still have another $5 billion loss via the PS4 in the next 5 years?

Now, I am assuming: 1. There will be a PS4 and 2. Sony and Kaz Hirai will try to 1up Nintendo and Microsoft by putting out another overpriced vanity machine (PS4) at a price all except the most fervent of Sony supporters will not buy.

I don't wish death on Sony as I have been a consumer of their product in my younger years, I just wish they would own up to their past mistakes, chop some heads off in their company, and get back to the basics by prioritizing what products are making a profit, continue to make those profitable products, and shut down the products and company divisions who are running at a loss, while being subsidized by the more profitable product divisions.

YET MORE DIATRIBE: LOL....

Playstation does not just = the PS3

yes let's just to choose to ignore the PSP profit's, the PS2 profit's and software from those 2 other platform's including the PS3 software profit's and PSN digital sales and the profit's from Home, and now PSN plus.....

PSP,PS2,PSN,PSN(PLUS),Home,psp software, PS2 software,ps3 software

is greater than just the

"PS3"

Actually, those were all considered and accounted for, he's talking SCE's overall loss.  In a very real sense just the "PS3" was greater than "PSP,PS2,PSN,PSN(PLUS),Home,psp software, PS2 software,ps3 software" in terms of loss/profit.

We'll never know the real scale of PS3's massive hardware losses because as you pointed out, those profitable sectors were helping pull up the division...

no it's not!

read what he stated! he's not talking about their entire profit's, he was just talking about the PS2's peak sales year's for the PAST 5 year's

" Sony has lost more money selling PlayStation 3s than it made selling PlayStation 2s during the entire five years of its peak."

the profit's that The PS3 ate into was the profit's for the PS2 for the last 5 year's when he made that statement  5 year's is not the entire profit's for the PS2 all together:

Hell he's not even including the PS1 or the PSP.

he's trying to point out just one aspect of the situation to say it = the entire profit loss of the entire playstation platform which is not true at all.

One product in their catalog does not = the entire catalog's sale's/profit's if there is more than just one product

the PS1's which had 10 year's worth of sales, the PSP now over 6 year

just because you want to concentrate on just one product does not mean you just ignore the other's in the catalog!

and why would they not help, their still playstation product's!

The PS3 is now profitable on it's own, now Sony has 3 Playstation Hardware Product's on the market that sell @ a profit!

How words get convoluted for a variety of reasons.

The numbers I have seen and which have been posted here ad nauseam include all the profits from PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3. Fact is, and Sony consumers may not like to hear it,the PS3 has been an unprofitable venture from a company who could afford to take the loss. Any better run company or smaller company would have never taken on a project as ambitious as the PS3.

My gist is what happened 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. and 10 years ago factors into the discussion when we are talking dollars and cents, which companies base business decisions off of. You may see reports saying "Sony PS3 is finally making a Profit" or some sort, but that is always in comparison to the costs and profits incurred earlier to make it a profitable machine now.

Like it or not, by the time the PS4 rolls around, if Sony has the money to take another loss, the sheer amount of dollars and mantime put into creating the PS3 will be remembered by the execs at Sony and they will make their decision accordingly.

where is the number's?

it's been the same post about Sony loosing all the profit's of the ps1, ps2, psp?

where is the proof.

I have not seen it....

hell the one who stated that is just guessing unless he's seen all the data from their finacial's.

which we can guess ourselves is a BIG FAT NO.

so the constant Diatribe is getting a little silly on this site...

Your constant defending of Sony as if you are working for them or have a major investment stake is getting old and silly. Seriously though, we will see come the next generation whenever that occurs. All this debate is just speculation and since you are not posting their financials, then you do not have an "in" with them or you may and the picture may be just as bad as some of us who have looked at a few of their financials know it is.

he wasn't defensing them,he was just pointing out the mistakes that you were trying to make him seem wrong

actually you urself are the one who should workd for someone trying to negating SONY's work and should grow up

you are no less so you shouldn't pick on others

How rich. I was defending my position not picking on others. If you check out my games, you will see that unlike you, I do and have played consoles made from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Yes, I play a 360 right now because I would not stoop to paying over $300 of my own money to buy a PS3.

Does this make me biased against Sony? Yes, to a certain degree. I have seen their magic when I was a little younger than you are and had to buy a PS1 for Final Fantasy 7. I was there buying a PS2 the year it came out and gamed with it exclusively until I became mainly a PC gamer during my college years. Beforehand, I grew up on Nintendo and Super Nintendo during the golden age of gaming in the 1980s and 1990s. So yes, I have my biases like everyone else, but I am also old enough to have witnessed how far a company such as Sony has strayed from what made the PS1 great.

Around the Network

NEVER EH??? ok thread booked mark.

When the this GEN ends and PS3 still being sold on the market and overtakes the 360 I will come back here to shove crows to a pretty hefty ammount of ppl here.

you said NEVER so no excuses "bu bu but that was a long time ago".

Does it really matter if ps3 won't overtake the 360, or that it will? I see it as both companies (MS & Sony) have their ups and downs, and let's face it, this gen PS3 & 360 are equal.. Few more games here and there, but that's it.. And those motion controllers are a little bit too late in my opinion.. Motion or no motion, it all depends about the content..

Ping_ii said:

When the this GEN ends and PS3 still being sold on the market and overtakes the 360 I will come back here to shove crows to a pretty hefty ammount of ppl here.

It's all very well threatening to serve crow when everyone in this thread knows people who post like yourself will never face the music of their claims if you're wrong. 

slowmo said:
Ping_ii said:

It's all very well threatening to serve crow when everyone in this thread knows people who post like yourself will never face the music of their claims if you're wrong. 

Wrong about what? and quite frankly what you just said applys to a lot of ppl in this thread denying or agreeing with the topic, I bet if ps3 does overtake 360 the majority ppl who were so fast claiming that it will NEVER happen will find some excuse for it (same for the ppl denying it), maybe you will too.........

zealwilx said:

microsoft knows fully well that were it not for the rough and the delayed launch of the ps3, the 360 wouldnt be where it is in sales numbers today. that said, the chances of the ps3 overtaking the 360 this Gen is slim mainly due to the fact that the 360 always has a $100 cheaper model. once the PS3 drops to $199, that will be the death knell for 360, as majority of the sales of the 360 comes from the cheaper model as rrod victims normally purchase the cheaper arcade models just incase of another rrod occuring.

as for kinect and move, i thinks both will have minute effect on sales numbers as the casual market is already saturated with the wii.

Statistics proove this wrong. NPD has numerous times let average Xbox 360 sales price slip and it is always around $270. Simple math shows that this means that the majority purchased are the more expensive model.  360 software attach rate has also continued to grow nicely again if these consoles were simply replacements software attach rate would suffer.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.