By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Chavez wins close Venezuela vote, say ministers

As much as I have sympathy for a leftist leader of a developing country with the balls to stand up to the US, this guy's rhetorics worry me a bit. Hopefully losing this vote will make him back down a bit. The last thing I want to see is Chavez turning into another depressing third world dictator.

Around the Network
Omac said:
Hugo Chavez is crazy and I'm glad the vote didn't go through. If he was president for life, he would turn Venezuela into Cuba sucking the life out of his people. About the oil didn't Chavez take over another companies oil rig off the coast even though they paid him to have the oil rig there? Stuff like that makes him unpredictable and not good for Venezuela.

Much more than that. He nationized every oil company in Venezuela. This caused a decrease in possible production for Venezuela for 5-10 years and has led (and will lead) in increased overall world oil prices. By lowering near-term production, he has changed the price of oil.

He is pretty predictable, though. Anything that makes lots of money or opposes him he either seems to take or try to take.  He has made it known that almost all non-Venezuelan companies operating inside Venezuela must be majority owned by the Venezuelan government.  China has a similar policy.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Shido said:

Well, as a venezuelan I will tell you my view about chavez, chavez has done a lot of good things like rising and keeping the oil price at high record breaking levels,

If you actually think Chavez is responsible for the world oil price increases I don't know what to tell you.  The increasing price is mainly due to booming demand in China and India (and to a lesser extent the U.S.), not any magical policy devised by Chavez. 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Ummmmm didn't he actually lost that¿?