By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is the Hardest/Easiest Undergraduate Majors?

MARKED.

Around the Network

Pharmacy, i would say. All the difficulty of chemistry and biology rolled into one neat package.

On the low end, i'm not sure. Communications is out there. Most of the slackers in my college are in Business.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

ManusJustus said:

Hardest - Chemistry, not only do you have to master math and physics, but there is loads of memorization

Easiest - Communications, easy course work that is common sense to many people in my opinion

Bullshit. I'm a communications major (Mass Communication) and the course work is comprehensive. You think it's just common sense? Go into an Quantitative Methods of Communication exam blind, and see if that common sense helps.

Try to go into a studio production class not knowing how to operate the various programs needed for professional editing. Yea....common sense. Common sense will teach you how to work the finer details of Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.

Even things about persuasion. You'd think "I'll convince this person of my argument, and thus...persuasion!" No, there are many factors that you have to learn and how to apply them to get a good grade in Purdue's COM318 class. The only class where common sense let me get a good grade was COM212 - Interpersonal Communication...talking to others. Other than that, you may think you have a grasp on certain topics...but common sense will only get you through chapter one. 

Hardest - everyone's pretty much said that engineering is the hardest, and going to Purdue, I'm exposed to that all the time. I heard biochemical engineering was the hardest amongst engineering. However, I also heard pharmacy is extremely hard. And I know for one that Purdue's pharmacy only allows like 100 students into the program each year

Easiest - Elementary Education. Nuff said

Kasz216 said:
RockSmith372 said:

I am majoring in chemical engineering at the moment, and it is a difficult class so I just wanted to ask what you think is the hardest and the easiest undergraduate majors.

Hardest- Chemical Engineering
Easiest- Sociology

I wouldn't go Sociology... you'd be surprised how many people fail out of Soc and Psych programs.

Main reason?  Statistics.    You'd be surprised how many people never are able to grasp statistics. 

A good way to find the easiest majors?   Watch March Madness and watch what majors the players have.  (it's my favoite part of march madness.)

The top choice?  Communications.

Close behind are Buisness/Marketing and History... PE/fitness/health is up there too.

Biology oddly is pretty popular.

Communications is the top choice? LOL, try OLS or Business. And our basketball team has a lot of management majors as well, like Robbie Hummel

Well, I didn't mean to offend anybody by saying that Communications was easy.  I'm a civil engineering and had to take an a couple of introductory communication courses (including interpersonal), so I don't have an accurate idea of what communications actually is.  I will gladly dis business majors though because if they are running something more complicated than a lemonade stand then don't really understand how their business operates.

Around the Network

Not sure what business school is like, but I'm majoring in MicroEconomics, Management Science, and it's not easy.

At all.

P.S. I hate econometrics.

Which one can I submit my thesis on the Political Affiliations of Subway? I went in recently and noticed they had portion control trays now. Subway also advertises all footlong subs equal but Roast Beef and the Irtalian BMT are priced 1 $ higher and toasted subs were more. All subs though have no right to specific condiments or mixes, which is to give the apperance of equality. It is regulated though to make all subs equal which would be Totalirian. The 6$s and Toasted subs recieve special treatment too. I declare it an Oligarchy of Communism. I was discussing this in line waiting for my Roast Beef sub and the guy just said "Actually it's because the Roast Beef costs more to make" and the other people were giving me strange stares. NO JOKE FOR ONCE

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Psycho1984 said:
De85 said:

As a physics major I can say it's pretty difficult.  You've not known pain until you've tried to take senior level quantum, electrodynamics, and thermodynamics all in the same semester...

As for the easiest majors, I'd agree with the idea of just looking at what the athletes at a given school are taking...

Amen to this!!! I finished my bachelor degree in Physics in 2008, and I have to say that those 3 years and a half were heavy, heavy, heavy stuff. I've always been good at school (And still was), but it has been years of only doing impossible homeworks (3 per week minimum) where you take 3 hours just to guess how to start the problem, 50 pages laboratory reports and attending classes were you take 10 pages of notes in less dans 2 hours (this may not seem so much, but fill those pages with complicated physic laws and triple integrals and it becomes really fun), all of this almost every week for more than 3 years^^'.

Reaching graduate studies was really a relief, I had control over my project, my schedule and I was paid!!! I finished my master degree this april and I started my first ''real'' job two weeks ago, and I would never go back to my undergraduate years ^^ It was fun, but extremely painful at the same time lol

So, to the future Physic undergrads........if your program is anything like here in Québec, good luck, and have faith in yourself ;)

Voilà^^

Congrats on getting through it, I'll be finishing my undergrad this december then on to grad school next year...

wfz said:

Not sure what business school is like, but I'm majoring in MicroEconomics, Management Science, and it's not easy.

At all.

P.S. I hate econometrics.

Whats management science?

twesterm said:

The easiest?  Take your pick from anything in the Business School.  There's a reason that people who have no idea what they want to do go there.

Me =(

I have no dreams.