By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is the Hardest/Easiest Undergraduate Majors?

I am majoring in chemical engineering at the moment, and it is a difficult class so I just wanted to ask what you think is the hardest and the easiest undergraduate majors.

Hardest- Chemical Engineering
Easiest- Sociology

Around the Network

I really want to know how hard Computer Science is because I am thinking of going for that in college.

I have to say, History was pretty easy. Among the fewest credits of any major needed (at least in my school), and if you're good at writing papers like I am, it's a breeze.

RockSmith372 said:

I am majoring in chemical engineering at the moment, and it is a difficult class so I just wanted to ask what you think is the hardest and the easiest undergraduate majors.

Hardest- Chemical Engineering
Easiest- Sociology

I wouldn't go Sociology... you'd be surprised how many people fail out of Soc and Psych programs.

Main reason?  Statistics.    You'd be surprised how many people never are able to grasp statistics. 

A good way to find the easiest majors?   Watch March Madness and watch what majors the players have.  (it's my favoite part of march madness.)

The top choice?  Communications.

Close behind are Buisness/Marketing and History... PE/fitness/health is up there too.

Biology oddly is pretty popular.

The hardest would be any of the engineering majors or possibly most of the science majors, take your pick. 

The easiest?  Take your pick from anything in the Business School.  There's a reason that people who have no idea what they want to do go there.

Around the Network
Riachu said:

I really want to know how hard Computer Science is because I am thinking of going for that in college.

I'm an idiot and I made it throught Computer Science. 

Honestly though, it's not that bad.  It's not easy like business school but as long as you understand the theory it's not bad.  Just make sure you also like math and physics because you'll likely be taking a lot of both.

Sociology is the easiest to pass but hardest to score.

For most fun i'd go with Economics although econometrics is a KILLER >_<

Hardest - Chemistry, not only do you have to master math and physics, but there is loads of memorization

Easiest - Communications, easy course work that is common sense to many people in my opinion

Chemistry is the hardest, it would be far too hard for me. I barely got out of A-level Chemistry, I couldn't have kept it up at University level I imagine. I think hard subjects are just hard across the board, regardless of institution because of the sheer volume of what you have to learn to reach even a basic level of knowledge.

Easiest is a bit of a tricky one, because I think it depends purely on where you go. For example, I know some places that do business studies can go pretty easy on the students and it's not too hard to get a degree because you don't have to learn so much. But the same subject at a high profile business school such as the London school of economics would be extremely hard because they expect much higher standards and you are required to learn much more.

As a physics major I can say it's pretty difficult.  You've not known pain until you've tried to take senior level quantum, electrodynamics, and thermodynamics all in the same semester...

As for the easiest majors, I'd agree with the idea of just looking at what the athletes at a given school are taking...