By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your take on evolution/old age earth?

Dodece said:
Final-Fan said:
I do think it's kind of cute that he registered just for those two posts, though.  Especially when they are just regurgitations of Hovind or whoever is pushing that false math bullshit nowadays. 

Actually its rather insulting to this community. Not just his conduct, but the conduct of his handler. I always feel that a conversation that takes place in a community should remain in a community. To run off to another community for support, and to encourage one of its members to come over to our community. Well there is a word for that, and it is what we used to call raiding. Basically its a loathsome tactic.

I wouldn't even have had a problem with it had we been asked up front. We probably would have all accepted the challenge. Hell the least he could have done was been up front about how he got here. Instead he just busted into these forums to spread his agenda. Then bolted right back out of the door. Not even being so courteous as to await a response.

I will not go so low as to point the finger. I shouldn't have to point the finger. To actually bring a ringer and a shill into these forums. What the hell were you thinking. I don't care your position on the debate. Don't you have any sense of pride in this community.

Yeah we all got punked.

I had actually just assumed it was some lurker that saw this and just absolutely had to throw his two cents in.  That's what was cute -- THIS thread was what finally got him here, and it couldn't even apparently keep his attention long enough to see the replies. 

The truth is, hm, not cute. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
bluxx said:

what evidence for evolution? Where are all the millions of transitionary fossiles? If we did indeed evolve from the primoridal slime what happened? Did the fish thing land on the land and realise it couldn't breath and somehow got washed back into the ocean? Then kept doing this over millions of years and then somehow developed lungs to breath air. Then, once it developed lungs did it then develop legs, organs to reproduce etc? Ask a mathematician the earth is not old enough for evolution to be correct. sorry that's a fact. Mathematicians have debated biologists and left them questioning... there simply isn't enough time from the creation/big bang date to today. Even at billions of years the earth is too young to have had life evolve. Want to look at the complexity of just a single cell happening by random chance which is what evolution needs - that would be like covering North America with dimes that reach to the moon - then placing one red dime among the trillioins of dimes covering the continent reaching up to the moon then asking a blind man to just pick one and him picking that red dime. thats the probabilty mathematicians have calculated for the simplest of elements for life... sorry evolution doesn't add up.

Ok bluxx, I know that other people have answered you, but I just can't leave a post like this hanging in the forums.

First of all, it is very clear that you have not attempted to understand evolution in any way outside of the blatant lies Ray Comfort and Kent Hovind have told you.

1. Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a transitional fossil as evolution is a constant process. The "lack of transitional fossils" is a creationist fallacy. I can draw on thousands of examples of midway species between two other species. A kind of animal B between animal A and C. I imagine that fossil B is what you called a "transitional fossil", in which case all fossil are transitional fossils in some way or another (I believe a link has already been posted which examples of these). Heck, I have a fossilised ammonyte on my desk, I'm actually looking at a transitional fossil as I type.

Want to see a future transitional species? Look in the mirror.

2. Fish can live between the land and the sea, in fact it's fairly common. Here's a video of a mudskipper (link), a mudskipper is a fish which lives on both land and sea. And the mechanism is simple, predators live in the sea, so for fish that can exist on land for brief periods of time could escape, would live, and pass this trait. Eventually you have an animal that can exist between land and sea, and eventually exclusively land.

In fact it's not just fish, plenty of amphibians and reptiles live between land and sea. And the process works in reverse, we have a lot of evidence to show that cetaceans (whales and dolphins) evolved from land mammals to water mammals.

3. What mathematicians say this? I have found no evidence from a reliable source that this is true. And I'm instantly sceptical because this in no way falls under a mathematicians job, in fact I find it laughable that you believed this. Why would a mathematician be concerned with such a thing? Mathematicians do not understand the functions of evolution enough to be able to categorically say this, it's not their field. No mathematician would even be interested.

I wouldn't move away from my area of academic research (virtual reality) to tell a chemist that they are wrong, I just wouldn't be able to comment on their field, even though I have a sound understanding of chemistry. This is the same thing.

It's not fact, it's a lie, and it's blatantly obvious. Billions of years is plenty of time. Evolution may be slow, but it's not that slow and this has already been demonstrated in this thread.

An evolutionary biologist with even the most basic of maths skills (most of them have very good maths skills) would be far more qualified to work out the timescale of evolution.

4. Ah! Complex cell structure, another common creationist fallacy. Creationists are always in the mind set that one day a complex cell just popped out of nowhere. Such an idea is obviously not true, and no-one who accepts evolution should claim so. I've already spoke about this in this thread, so look at my older post for more details. 

Basically cells didn't start off complex, they started off simple, more simple than an actual cell. They started off as a self-replicating molecule, which exist in nature and have been synthetically created in laboratories. the self replicating cell would have grew more and more complex over thousands of years and eventually evolved into a simple cell... and then everything evolved from there. Oh, and self-replicating molecules have be shown to evolve just like life does.

5. Random chance, this is another good creationist fallacy. For evolution to be "random chance", members of a species would have to survive at ranom, this is not the case, only the fit survive. Basically evolution is a non-random process. The chances of evolution to happen are not one in a million, this just demonstrates a clear lack of understanding, the odds are more like, oh let's say, one in one.

Your dime analogy is grossly incorrect.

To be honest, I know I am being harsh on you, but you have fallen for so many creationist fallacies I fail to see how I can react in any other way.

appolose said:

I do not adhere to current modern evolutionary theories/old earth.

Because:

1. I presuppose that everything the Bible claims is true.  Thus, I believe, as the Bible claims, that the earth and every kind of creature were created in 6 days some 6000 years ago.

2.  I find (mind you, I do) evolutionary theory to be riddled with large assumptions, poor reasoning, and an overall incoherent structure.

I say this not to start an argument over what I find incoherent, or why I take a presuppositional approach, but to demonstrate that I have, at the very least, studied the situation and have come up with an honest answer (but not necessarily right).

It's very admirable that you have taken the time to study evolution. That's the quality about Slimebeast that I like. Even though he disagrees, he does his homework.

But I just want to mention one thing, if I may. Of course you are going to find evolution absurd if you look at it from a young earth creationist point of view, the two ideas are just hugely incompatible. If I were to look at evolution from a young earth position, I would find it absurd, despite the amount of evidence that has been shown for evolution.

When you look at the evidence towards the age of the Earth it is clear that it has existed for billions of years, and opposing arguments are more or less always based on speculation (light slowing down, radioactive decays speeds decreasing, etc... All of which there is no evidence for). Look to study evolution from an ancient earth point of view, just for kicks (not asking you to fundamentally change your beliefs), as opposed to the literal Abrahamic creation point of view, I'm sure it will make much more sense.

I'll get back to this thread, I have a few posts to reply to but I feel worn out at the moment.

highwaystar101 said:
appolose said:

I do not adhere to current modern evolutionary theories/old earth.

Because:

1. I presuppose that everything the Bible claims is true.  Thus, I believe, as the Bible claims, that the earth and every kind of creature were created in 6 days some 6000 years ago.

2.  I find (mind you, I do) evolutionary theory to be riddled with large assumptions, poor reasoning, and an overall incoherent structure.

I say this not to start an argument over what I find incoherent, or why I take a presuppositional approach, but to demonstrate that I have, at the very least, studied the situation and have come up with an honest answer (but not necessarily right).

It's very admirable that you have taken the time to study evolution. That's the quality about Slimebeast that I like. Even though he disagrees, he does his homework.

But I just want to mention one thing, if I may. Of course you are going to find evolution absurd if you look at it from a young earth creationist point of view, the two ideas are just hugely incompatible. If I were to look at evolution from a young earth position, I would find it absurd, despite the amount of evidence that has been shown for evolution.

When you look at the evidence towards the age of the Earth it is clear that it has existed for billions of years, and opposing arguments are more or less always based on speculation (light slowing down, radioactive decays speeds decreasing, etc... All of which there is no evidence for). Look to study evolution from an ancient earth point of view, just for kicks (not asking you to fundamentally change your beliefs), as opposed to the literal Abrahamic creation point of view, I'm sure it will make much more sense.

While I feel that I have been able to view evolutionary theories from a farily nonbiased (so to speak) viewpoint ( that is, I thnk that, if I were not a young Earth creationist, I would still find evolution unacceptable), I do acknowledge that I would do well to continuously study both viewpoints closely while keeping in mind that my own stance might be clouding my judgement.  I probably haven't done that enough, actually.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
Around the Network

This is sort of the same as the chicken and the egg, which one came first? The egg (evolution) or the chicken (creation), which in a majority of cases is stated to be the egg, an egg of two non-chickens. But those non-chickens, how did they come to be?

I cant say that evolution as we know it is the right answer, but i do know that we can prove that christianity, islam, hinduism etc, as we know it, isn't correct. And that is basicly how it works, you eliminate all the wrongs to find the right.

@smidlee

Well I think it is safe to say my blistering logic burned you, and you have skulked off to lick your wounds. So I will take my I owned you trophy, and add it to the rest of my collection. I am not saying I would have respected you more if you decided to keep fighting a battle where you were hopelessly outmatched, but I would have respected you more had you just said you conceded the match. Admitting your own defeat isn't the same as conceding that you are wrong. Just that you can't make a good argument that proves that you are right.

@highwaystar

Bluxx was a ringer brought in to raid these forums. He will probably never return, and thus will probably never read your well thought out response. He really didn't want to debate the topic. He just wanted to spread some propaganda.

@STEKSTAV

You make a very valid point. Science is allowed to be falsifiable, or subject to refinements over time. Religion on the other hand if you take it literally cannot in any part be falsifiable. Once that happens the entirety of the texts are by default false. The fact that many religious believers don't grasp this is shocking. Even more shocking is the intentional blind spots, and even the notion that they can salvage the texts. When I say salvage I mean take bits and pieces they find useful while leaving the things they don't like, or don't agree with.

@Topic

What always bewilders me about these debates is that the victor is a foregone conclusion, but the losing side continues to carry on with the fight. Religion has inevitably lost every point it has tried to defend historically. Examples such as Astronomy, Gravity, Anatomy, Anesthetics, Geology, Sexual Equality, and Freedom of disent. They have lost this war time and again, and they have even been fighting dirty. You know burning, torturing, and terrorizing people. Even with all that horrible stuff they did they still couldn't defeat Science. This is a hopeless battle, and I think most of them down where they don't want to admit it know it is hopeless. That is why so many zealots get so upset they see themselves losing ground every single day. Anyone would get frustrated facing an unstoppable force.

Squall_Leonhart said:

Evolution = Fact! To say otherwise is to deny ones self the truth and hide behind the teachings of a story book

I bet you think the bible was written just by men.

If you do then evolution should get the same respect in your eyes. Written by men who's reputations and money are riding on it.

I don't know science so good, and I was raised to be religious.

Still, Young Earth Creationism has never made any sense to me.

Every time I look up into the sky, I can see stars that are more than six thousand light years away. With a telescope, it can be tens of thousands of light years. The Hubble telescope can see who knows how many light years into the gulf.

The age of the universe being tremendous seems kind of indisputable to me.

mhsillen said:
Squall_Leonhart said:

Evolution = Fact! To say otherwise is to deny ones self the truth and hide behind the teachings of a story book

I bet you think the bible was written just by men.

If you do then evolution should get the same respect in your eyes. Written by men who's reputations and money are riding on it.

That what I found interesting about these debates  is you can learn alot about people.

- He obviously already determined in his mind what "THE TRUTH" is.

- "The Truth" is  extremely dogmatic.

- Don't trust what you read from a book.

- Trust more what you read on the internet.