By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The new DS' screen are defective by nature?

Er... definitely not a problem I've ever seen in a DS Lite and pretty much everyone I know owns one except me who owns an original. If this was really a widespread problem you wouldn't be hearing about it from some random friend, you would be hearing about it from game news sites... who haven't said a thing.

Around the Network

There is a difference indeed. The bottom screen is a bit more yellow-ish. It's not dramatic but it isn't like before. About the shadows though, I have no idea where you read that but there is no difference.

Now that I think of it my cousin's DS screen is a little more yellow but I never noticed until I looked at the pictures you posted, so it's not a problem.

They are not with the same brightness (the pictures).

lolita said:
There is a difference indeed. The bottom screen is a bit more yellow-ish. It's not dramatic but it isn't like before. About the shadows though, I have no idea where you read that but there is no difference.

Maybe some batch had lower-speed matrices, so ghosting occured (usually visible with matrices with slower refresh times, 12ms and worse)

Around the Network
cool48 said:
Now that I think of it my cousin's DS screen is a little more yellow but I never noticed until I looked at the pictures you posted, so it's not a problem.

I suppose I could have simply not noticed like you, but if it's not something I would notice without looking for it then I guess it's not much of a problem.  I like my original DS anyway.

Don't seem to be any issues in this video.  In fact, DS Lite picture quality looks much better:

My refurbed DS Lite (had an original with a hinge crack and traded it in) has a tad pinkish look to the bottom screen. It's not horribly bad, but it is noticeable. It doesn't distract from the games though and it still looks way better then the original DS's screens so I've really no complaints. I figure with the DS, I'm likely to get a newer version if one comes out anyway. It's just such a great little system to have and I've got something like 48 games for it. So I'm not too concerned.

On a side note, I have Pneumonia right now... last night when I was getting a perscription filled for antibiotics at Shoppers Drug mart, I noticed Nintendo has a really nice display of games at Shoppers. I was pretty surprised, If I wasn't so sick I would have been tempted to buy a game. They had both DS and Wii stuff. I wonder if they get any Wii's into their stores? They had a nice selection of DS's...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

I have a new Chrimson & Black model that I just bought in October.

In order to get the screen to turn yellow, I have to tilt the DS away from me at a 230 degree angle, this makes the game almost unplayble at that angle. As far looking straight on or holding it at an angle tilted toward me there is no yellowing whatsoever. Furthermore, if the DS is held at any angle which allows easy gameplay there is no color degradation.

Anytime an LCD screen is tilted in any direction there is generally some sort of color washout. Don't believe me tilt you computer monitor upwards and see what happens.

It should also be noted that the pictures shown in the links have a camera taking a picture at that same angle mentioned above. I set my DS on my desk and moved back, sure enough the yellowing showed up. Then I tried to play Zelda at that angle, the yellowing stayed there untill I had to move forward to see what I was doing in order to play the game. My moving forward had nothing to do with the yellowing but rather the odd angle which didn't allow easy viewing of the screen and thus made it more difficult to play.

naznatips said:
cool48 said:

I suppose I could have simply not noticed like you, but if it's not something I would notice without looking for it then I guess it's not much of a problem. I like my original DS anyway.

Don't seem to be any issues in this video. In fact, DS Lite picture quality looks much better:

Isn't this thread about difference between older DS lites and thenewer ones, not between DS phat and DS lite?

Well I had only heard of the problem with older DS Lites (the red ones) and only for a short time.