By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - converting my friend to ps3 - warning for ps3 fans only

ithis said:
twesterm said:
Seece said:

Yup I totally agree, the OP clearly set out to make a PS3 is better than 360 thread.

The worst part about this thread is that I'd be willing to be all my VG$ points that the thread converting my friend to Xbox 360 - warning for 360 fans only shows up tomorrow.

The funny thing is that under most circumstances I would suggest the person get a PS3 over upgrading their 360.  I don't think I would in this situation since it doesn't really sound like the perosn even is thinking about a PS3 and just wants to upgrade his 360 but if someone were actually trying to decide between upgrading their 360 or buying a PS3 I would probably say PS3 most of the time.

1. @ Seece: The owner of the thread, knowing that some PS3 fans that are going to visit this thread are going to speak against the Xbox360, and wanting to avoid confrontation, included a warning in the thread title. But since logic does not work on the majority of humans, this obviously failed. But you can't accuse her of not trying to avoid it. Just stay out of the thread, and it is solved.

@ Seece & Twestern: The OP is clear, he already has an xbox, and had/has interest in a PS3 (as in had interested in buying one, probably based on what his friend jneul told him, probably based on other things too), but now he wants to buy the new xbox, which logically is a mistake, so she wants to help him out, and talk to her fellow PS3 owners in the process. She doesn't want to force him to buy a PS3. She wants to convince him to a PS3 instead of another Xbox360.

There were advices and answers to her OP that did not accuse her of creating an anti xbox thread (while it was clear that it was a pro PS3 one, hence the warning in the thread title). 

@Seece: He already has an xbox360, why should she show him trailers of the upcomming xbox games, when he wants to spend he's money on new hardware not games. Are you arguing that if he wants to buy one more Xbox360 because of the new games that will come out (which he doesn't, he just likes the box), even though he already has one, she should let him? 

Since he is intent on buying hardware, it is the right course to try to convince him to buy a PS3 or Wii, but since jneul is a PS3 owner and she would like to play with her friend online on PS3, her choice is to show him what the PS3 can do. Where is the problem there?

Basically....

Around the Network
ithis said:
twesterm said:
Seece said:

Yup I totally agree, the OP clearly set out to make a PS3 is better than 360 thread.

The worst part about this thread is that I'd be willing to be all my VG$ points that the thread converting my friend to Xbox 360 - warning for 360 fans only shows up tomorrow.

The funny thing is that under most circumstances I would suggest the person get a PS3 over upgrading their 360.  I don't think I would in this situation since it doesn't really sound like the perosn even is thinking about a PS3 and just wants to upgrade his 360 but if someone were actually trying to decide between upgrading their 360 or buying a PS3 I would probably say PS3 most of the time.

1. @ Seece: The owner of the thread, knowing that some PS3 fans that are going to visit this thread are going to speak against the Xbox360, and wanting to avoid confrontation, included a warning in the thread title. But since logic does not work on the majority of humans, this obviously failed. But you can't accuse her of not trying to avoid it. Just stay out of the thread, and it is solved.

@ Seece & Twestern: The OP is clear, he already has an xbox, and had/has interest in a PS3 (as in had interested in buying one, probably based on what his friend jneul told him, probably based on other things too), but now he wants to buy the new xbox, which logically is a mistake, so she wants to help him out, and talk to her fellow PS3 owners in the process. She doesn't want to force him to buy a PS3. She wants to convince him to a PS3 instead of another Xbox360.

There were advices and answers to her OP that did not accuse her of creating an anti xbox thread (while it was clear that it was a pro PS3 one, hence the warning in the thread title). 

How is it a mistake to want the new 360?  It's his money, if he wants to spend it that he can.

The OP didn't say the friend was trying to decide to between a new 360 and a PS3, it's the friend now wants a new 360 and the OP wants him to get a PS3.

The OP is trying to convince him otherwise, which is stupid.

starcraft said:

Every single thing on your list is true for the Xbox 360 EXCEPT for free online and Blu-Ray, and fails to highlight the massive multimedia capabilities of the Xbox 360 above and beyond the PS3 such as Hulu...

Aggregate gaming rankings in fact hold the Xbox 360 to possess MORE great games than the PS3.

Why lie to your friend?  Let him get what he wants.

Ok starcraft...you have a 360 and $300. What should you do? Buy another 360? Or buy a PS3 and get a different experience? If you get a PS3, you get to experience both. You get another 360, and you may have 2 consoles, but you only get one experience. What makes more sense TO YOU?

Seece said:
BMaker11 said:
Seece said:

Wow, I can't stand pushy friends that push you to get something just because you want them to have it, so selfish and pointless, woop it's going to increase PS3 sales by 1 unit, what's the point?

Your argument is hugely biased btw. You have a great point with bluray and free online multiplayer, the rest is either not true anymore or your own bias.

I'd rather have a pushy friend than one that one that would let me make a stupid decision. He said his friend doesn't even play his 360. But now that a slim 360 came, he wants to spend $300 on that? You realize that he could save that $300 and still play 360 games right? Or instead of spending that $300 on an item he doesn't use, he can use it on a something new.

You probably don't play PSP, right? Did you go out and buy a PSPGo just because it got redesigned? If I was jneul in this situation, I would have told you to buy a DS instead of wasting your money on the SAME item that you don't play

And what's worse, he was about to get a PS3 before the slim 360 came out. So back to my example. You have a PSP. You don't play it, it's gathering dust. You were about to get a DS, but then BAM, PSPGo comes out. No new games, just new hardware. All of a sudden, you don't want the DS anymore, you want to buy the PSPGo because it's a redesign. What kind of friend would I be if I saw that you had one thing that gathered dust, and you wanted to try something new, but is about to spend good money on another dust collector just because it looks different, and I let you go ahead and let you spend that money without speaking to you about it? 

I guess I'm being pushy if I tell the whole VGC community not to buy a slim 3D0 if that came out tomorrow, even though none of us plays the 3D0, and would buy it purely for aesthetics. Sure, it's the friend's money and he should do what he wants with it, but as a friend, jneul is right in trying to tell him otherwise.

If he buys a slim 360, he'll just have 2 dust collecting paperweights

If she was a decent friend she would show him trailers for all the upcoming 360 games (because you know, there are some coming ..) and then let him make his own mind up, she's essentially trying to sell the PS3 to him, he can make his own mind up, and if it's a mistake then it's his to make.

Let's not pretend this is anything other than what it is, jnuel trying to get another PS3 owner, from the op it doesn't seem like she cares at all about his needs or wants, she just outlines that he hasn't played his 360 in a while (neither have I, yet I plan to buy around 15 games in the next 6 months) and decides to take it upon herself to sell him a PS3 solely based on the fact that she's PRO Sony.

I'm not sorry for telling it how it is.

The friend already has a working 360 THAT HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY (according to jneul). The friend was then about to get a PS3 and has apparently even bought games off of jneul in preparation of buying a PS3. But now, the friend wants to buy another 360 instead. What's the point in that, especially if the friend ISN'T EVEN PLAYING THE 360? The OP isn't trying to make the PS3 look better than the 360, the OP is trying to show the friend that instead of spending $300 on something he's not going to use, if he's wants new hardware, get a PS3 because it has these games and these features.

If you, Seece, as a gamer had a choice, what would you choose: Have two 360s or a PS3 and a 360? Better yet, you're pretty anti-Sony, and I'm not sure if you have a PS3 or not, but if you had/have a PS3 phat, and wasn't playing it anymore, and you wanted a 360, would you have turned around and bought the PS3 Slim....just cause it was slim? The games that you weren't playing before didn't change. You already have a PS3 so you can see "all the trailers of upcoming games coming out", and what's better is, even if you buy the 360, YOU CAN STILL PLAY THE PS3 GAMES BECAUSE YOU STILL OWN A PS3! All your friends were telling you "Dude, you already have a PS3 and you don't even use it. Why buy another one because it looks different? Get a 360 instead, it has XBL, Halo, Gears, integration with popular things like Facebook and Twitter, ESPN, etc" <---you know, telling you things the PS3 doesn't have...would you call them pushy or just informing you so you wouldn't waste your money? Especially if you're friend bought Forza 3 and Crackdown off you last month in prepping to buy a 360 (just an example)

"Hey guys, I have a MacBook Pro 17". I want a Dell XPS now. Oh wait...there's a MacBook Pro that's smaller? Instead of having two operating systems, I just want two of the same computers just for shits and giggles" <---this is what you're advocating in your quest to make jneul look like "another PS3 fan trying to sell a PS3"

Metallicube said:

See my view is, if PS3 is such a great console, it should be able to persuade people on its own. It shouldn't need "sponsoring" by friends.

I was thinking the same thing.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
starcraft said:

Every single thing on your list is true for the Xbox 360 EXCEPT for free online and Blu-Ray, and fails to highlight the massive multimedia capabilities of the Xbox 360 above and beyond the PS3 such as Hulu...

Aggregate gaming rankings in fact hold the Xbox 360 to possess MORE great games than the PS3.

Ok starcraft...you have a 360 and $300. What should you do? Buy another 360? Or buy a PS3 and get a different experience? If you get a PS3, you get to experience both. You get another 360, and you may have 2 consoles, but you only get one experience. What makes more sense TO YOU?

It depends on the person really.

If I only had a 360 and $300, I'd probably get the PS3 too but if someone really wants that new 360 for whatever reason, can you fault them?  It's their money, they can buy what they want.

I upgraded my old PS3 and lost my BC because I wanted something quiter.  I'll likely upgrade my 360 too because I don't really have AC outlets to spare for when the Kinect comes out (I'm just hoping there's a small HD version since I don't really need 250gigs).

BMaker11 said:
starcraft said:

The new Xbox 360 will likely be extremely reliable, it has all the advantages of the PS3 plus the advantages of the Xbox 360 line excepting Blu-Ray.  These advantages are enhanced by built in Wi-Fi and a large HDD.

As Twesterm pointed out, what I want it irrelevant.  The bloke wants it, he should be able to get it without being harassed.  Informing somone is one thing, "converting" them and actually formulating an argument to make them switch is another entirely.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
BMaker11 said:
starcraft said:

The new Xbox 360 will likely be extremely reliable, it has all the advantages of the PS3 plus the advantages of the Xbox 360 line excepting Blu-Ray.  These advantages are enhanced by built in Wi-Fi and a large HDD.

As Twesterm pointed out, what I want it irrelevant.  The bloke wants it, he should be able to get it without being harassed.  Informing somone is one thing, "converting" them and actually formulating an argument to make them switch is another entirely.

Who is 'harassing'? :S I think you guys got this whole thing backwards...she is reccomending ...the guy will make the choice himself geez

If you already have a xbox..buy a ps3...or a wii...the new one offers nothing more than built in wifi and extra HD simple as that

a

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

twesterm said:
ithis said:
twesterm said:
Seece said:

How is it a mistake to want the new 360?  It's his money, if he wants to spend it that he can.

The OP didn't say the friend was trying to decide to between a new 360 and a PS3, it's the friend now wants a new 360 and the OP wants him to get a PS3.

The OP is trying to convince him otherwise, which is stupid.

not it's not. what part of he wanted a ps3 first did you not understand and  i'm not trying to flaimbait, all i wanted was advice so i did not end up trolling on the 360, afterall it's not worth losing a great friend over, trouble is sometimes I am too pro sony which is why i came here, and got great advice to be less biased just show him ps3 and some games, no trolling required

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Whatever good intentions the poster may or may not of had the outcome is a flamebait thread which can only end in recriminations. The title itself is engineered to ensure Zealots of both system enter the fray, it actually made me roll my eyes whilst making a tut sound when I saw it.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.