By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Microsoft Says Kinect Not $150! Gives New Price!

yea. sure.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
Ping_ii said:
psrock said:

I still remember the times when we thought it was going tobe $50, now $120 is called epic.

LOL when your beaten up bad anything that helps the pain ease a bit is VERY GOOD!

What a petty post....

Anyone who actually feels down or beaten up over something like videogames is just sad.

I think he was exagerating. I'd argue anyone on this website is sad. But I'm apart of it so I say nothing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

That third digit is a big psychological barrier. I don't think $119 will sell especially better than $150.

If $119 really is their planned MSRP, they'd be better off bundling it with Dance Central (the closest thing to a killer app yet shown) and charging $149.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Reasonable said:

What I notice floating around is:

1 - MS is clearly holding back on deciding price and multiple options seem to be getting considered

2 - MS has clearly stated they want to try and keep everything profitable now

3 - MS desperately wants to push their console out into broader demographics and compete with Wii

4 - MS may be sitting on higher than preferred manufacturing costs, with changes already made to reduce Kinect hardware components

5 - MS 360 sales are predictably flattening (5 years old after all) and they want to try and boost interest and are using Kinect linked to the new model (designed to better support Kinect) almost as a re-launch

The only likely scenario I see right now is MS is torn between selling Kinect at a price which may well be at cost or even a loss (because there are plenty of clues the cost of the thing is higher than they'd like to make) to drive the sales and market penetration they want or pricing higher to make it a profitable peripheral but potentially harming market penetration and growth (because there are plenty of clues they want to keep everything profitable around 360 right now).

I think in the end it will come down whether they final push it as more of a platform or a peripheral - my guess is that they might well go with a lower price in the end and eat margin for the sake of marketshare : but reluctantly.

If they do open at a higher price and sales are sluggish I also expect them to quickly decide to sacrifice margin as well.

Sony with Move are probably in a slightly better place regarding cost/price as they seem to be very much positioning the device as a peripheral and its based on well established tech now - on the other hand that strategy normally results in weaker sales and they do seem to be in danger into falling into the 'too many options' trap with the multiple configurations around Move.

Well they have three different major groups of consumers and Microsoft as a monopolistic company is very familiar with price discrimination.

You have:

A. Unengaged people -> They have to offer the lowest price here.

B. Engaged Core -> They may not be interested specifically in the casual games and they want to pick what they get.

C. Engaged mainstream -> Bundles of games are the order of the day.

They can easily offer group A a cheaper console price bundle. They already save ~20% on store margins in a bundle with hardware so something like a $249 Arcade with Kinect and a game would work great for this group. Group B wants to pick the game so they can offer the interface for say $89 naked for the core who already own the console and for Group C they can offer a pack with a couple of games Kinect bundle for $119.

They can push it both as a platform as well as a peripheral depending of course on how they want to price it. They can also price the bundle high enough as to prevent people from rebuying their console when they don't have to and low enough so that they won't scare off people with a price which is simply too high.

In terms of profitability you have to consider it as a platform for all intents. This is because Kinect WILL help them push more software/Live content than they would have otherwise achieved without it and help push their $99 Xbox Live Gold family passes for instance. If they can move even 3 Million Gold subscribers up a tier with a family pack it could represent over $100M a year in extra Gold revenue for instance on top of any extra content and games they sell to a wider family audience.

Tease.

Since this was announced LAST yeear, I've been saying $119, JUST like the WiiFit.  At this price, the thing will sell sell sell, especially given the amount of ads that will promote it.  I think it will push 3-4 million during the season, and it will be a hot item for gift givers.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

whoooa!!!!

people need to get over the fact dance central isnt bundled, its not first party, so unless MS buys ubisoft it aint gonna be bundle on now and every kinect in the future. MS wouldnt make as much money as they would otherwise.

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

I said this in another Kinect thread awhile back: I used to think Kinect was expensive(and it stiill pretty much is) but if people drop $100 or more on a rockband/guitar hero pack why not spend money to get a gaming peripheral for around the same price that will come with a gaming library dedicated for it alone(added more thought in this post)

EDIT: if the price of Kinect does drop it will most likely equal more sale for Kinect.

btw: how much does Kinect cost MS to make?

AussieGecko said:

people need to get over the fact dance central isnt bundled, its not first party, so unless MS buys ubisoft it aint gonna be bundle on now and every kinect in the future. MS wouldnt make as much money as they would otherwise.

Dance Central = Harmonix = Electronic Arts ^^

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

iWarMachine said:
AussieGecko said:

Dance Central = Harmonix = Electronic Arts ^^

well thats even less likely so my thought persists... in fact if its EA its even more likely they will somehow make it multi console... EA have something against MS lol

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752