By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gametrailers E3 BEST GRAPHICS award - Kirby Epic Yarn!

alfredofroylan said:
Boutros said:

But graphics are not the same thing as art style and overall beauty.

I also agree that Kirby is one of the most beautiful game shown at E3 but the best graphics is another thing.

What's graphics then? How many gray pixels can we put on a screen? I think graphics should have game design, art style and creativity. For example I'd put Children of Eden over any of those generic FPS on that video.

Graphics also encompasses resolution, textures, lighting, and anti-alliasing. Game design has nothing to do with graphics....what you seem to be going to is the visual/art style of game...but this award is for the best graphics which is the whole package of arts and tech, not just art.

Around the Network

Anyway they should (no they NEED to) make two categories.

Because I can't seem to be capable of putting Kirby in the same category as Crysis 2.

Go Kirby! The super tuff cream puff strikes back in home consoles since 2003 (1996 if you only count platform kirby games.)

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

so if it´s cute and emo , and have many color´s is the best graphic´s  because is good looking , yea right !!!

uncharted and gow3 have nasty graphics , ya they suck !!!

UC2 came out of 2009 being the big winner(with no grey mind you, it's a colorful and beautiful game, top class) so, I don't know what you are talking about, they are talking about this E3, and Kirby is a beautiful game. I don't know about emo, but it's certainly cute as all hell, and the thread look they have is really really pretty. God of War 3 did a really good job with their AA, and looks really good too, but again, not in this E3.

Torillian said:

Out of the choices they gave I would agree, but I think Limbo, Child of Eden, and from what I hear Journey are all higher up in looks than Kirby.  But Kirby isn't far behind those three, very pretty and imaginatively created game world.

well it's gametrailers, they'd of course choose high profile games.

Around the Network

While I agree that Kirby won, there are games that should be candidates for the title that are not shooters and just look amazing in art style

Lynx said:
alfredofroylan said:
Boutros said:

But graphics are not the same thing as art style and overall beauty.

I also agree that Kirby is one of the most beautiful game shown at E3 but the best graphics is another thing.

What's graphics then? How many gray pixels can we put on a screen? I think graphics should have game design, art style and creativity. For example I'd put Children of Eden over any of those generic FPS on that video.

I agree with you alfredofroylan.  The graphics are what you see on the screen.  While art style and overall beauty are components of the graphics they should not be differing categories.  All of the components should make up the whole of the award.  Therefore, if one game, such as the new Kirby, is especially strong in certain categories of graphics while lacking in others, but the advanteges in these categories is quite strong, then it should receive the award.

Art is subjective, while the technical side of graphics is not, so when it comes to best graphics, one has to lean more towards the tech to be less bias, as the tech is pretty much black and white.

Hynad said:

Best graphics is the same as best visuals, as in: how pleasing to the eye it is.. 

On the other hand, if it was about best technical achievement, then some of you here might be on to something.

Beat me to it, saying that Kirby Epic Yarn doesn't deserves the award because of the lack of technology behind it, is like saying a Salvador Dalí is worse than any random work on Photoshop, 3DS Max or Maya.

And despite me being a massive graphics whore, I think Kirby has the award well deserved. If only Zelda looked a bit more stylish...

Boutros said:

Anyway they should (no they NEED to) make two categories.

Because I can't seem to be capable of putting Kirby in the same category as Crysis 2.

Then you need to expand your vision about gaming.

They should take example on the Oscars.

Best Achievement in Art Direction (Kirby)

Best Achievement in Visual Effects (Crysis 2 or Killzone 3 or Rage or whatever)