By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Huge Steam summer sale

I wanted to buy Deus Ex on Steam when they had the sale celebrating it's 10th anniversary, but I held it in so bad I was able to not buy it. I already have 2 disc copies of Deus Ex :

Around the Network
Foamer said:

Yep, same here. I've also bought several games (Bioshock, King's Bounty, The Witcher, Max Payne 1 and 2, Deus Ex, Civ 4, World of Goo, The Movies, Psychonauts and KOTOR)  when they were on sale that I already own on disc. The devs must love me :)

Too bad that some of the super discounted games I've already bought not long ago. The whole Civ 4 pack of steam would now cost me 75% less, should've waited :/

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

hmm I wonder how much money valve has made from this sale, I mean with the amount of stuff being sold they must be making millions. I have heard of people spending $200 at the half way point and a lot of them don't even plan to download even half of the stuff because they got packs with like 10 games and only a few that they are interested in playing etc so a lot of it is basically pure profit.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:

hmm I wonder how much money valve has made from this sale, I mean with the amount of stuff being sold they must be making millions. I have heard of people spending $200 at the half way point and a lot of them don't even plan to download even half of the stuff because they got packs with like 10 games and only a few that they are interested in playing etc so a lot of it is basically pure profit.

Can't talk about those discounted sales in general, but Valve reported that the steam platform has 150% growth in the last year. I think that they are "pure profit" with minimal maintenance.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Bought a Borderlands 4 pack for 30 euros, which comes 7.50 a copy. Great deal.

Around the Network
aragod said:
zarx said:

Can't talk about those discounted sales in general, but Valve reported that the steam platform has 150% growth in the last year. I think that they are "pure profit" with minimal maintenance.

Well if microsoft(360) charges 30% royalties for their digital games. What if valve only does 10-20% royalties. Thus this convinces the developers to lower the prices since they get higher profit percentage wise for digital copies.

tallgnome said:
aragod said:
zarx said:

Well if microsoft(360) charges 30% royalties for their digital games. What if valve only does 10-20% royalties. Thus this convinces the developers to lower the prices since they get higher profit percentage wise for digital copies.

Yeah, Pachter was saying something similar in his last "Pach-attack".

aragod said:
tallgnome said:
aragod said:
zarx said:

Yeah, Pachter was saying something similar in his last "Pach-attack".

Valve charges 40% royalties. It's a 60/40 split for Developer/Valve. Microsoft also charges 40% on Xbox Live.

But Valve gives much more to developers than Microsoft. Microsoft charges even more royalties for advertisement and XBL deals, which could end up Microsoft charge 70% royalties.

Also, Valve doesn't stop developers from releasing free updates, while Microsoft forces developers to sell them.

Finally L4D 2 on sale again, snatched one copy.

It's the last day.

During the sale I purchased:Trine, Ghostbusters - The videogame, Zeno Clash, Gothic Bundle, Max Payne Bundle, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, X-COM: Complete Pack, FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage, Shatter, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Titan Quest Gold, Beat Hazard, Max & the Magic Marker, Devil May Cry 4, Meridian4 Complete Pack.

In total I paid 61.88€ for around 40 games.