By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one not "in love" with Ghibli?

jarrod said:
Severance said:

Ghibli to Anime is what Team ICO is to games

Ghibli's enormously successful, pretty prolific and historically important... which is like, the opposite of Team ICO.  Ghibli's really more comparable to Nintendo.

Hmm.. I don't think that's a good match. Nintendo tries for perfect gameplay and make things enjoyable "for everyone" (which means they don't try to convey any moral or emotional messages in their games), while Ghibli movies have that emotional and thought-provoking layer.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
jarrod said:
Severance said:

Ghibli to Anime is what Team ICO is to games

Ghibli's enormously successful, pretty prolific and historically important... which is like, the opposite of Team ICO.  Ghibli's really more comparable to Nintendo.

Hmm.. I don't think that's a good match. Nintendo tries for perfect gameplay and make things enjoyable "for everyone" (which means they don't try to convey any moral or emotional messages in their games), while Ghibli movies have that emotional and thought-provoking layer.

Uh, Ghibli's about as "everyone" as anime gets.  Another reason why Nintendo comes closer than about anyone else.

Also, going by your "emotional" comment, I take it you've never touched Majora's Mask? :P

jarrod said:

Uh, Ghibli's about as "everyone" as anime gets.  Another reason why Nintendo comes closer than about anyone else.

Also, going by your "emotional" comment, I take it you've never touched Majora's Mask? :P

no I haven't, I've played only very few Nintendo games, so you may say I'm all wrong about them, but..

When I think of Ghibli I think of Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo and Spirited Away -and Howl's Moving Castle, but that's not a Ghibli original- (*sigh* I normally only use the japanese names). These all are movies with a meaning, with a deeper layer, besides these Ghibli also made some "pure fun" work, but that's not their prime works.

And when I think of Nintendo it's Mario, Pokèmon and Zelda and (nearly?) all of them are 100% about gameplay and don't even have the ambition to go into a deeper layer of thought than just "pure fun".

I don't see where these companies are comparable.

This is good:

This isn't:

Dodece said:

@tarheel91

I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of intellectually stimulating. Solving any problem no matter how large, or how small is by default intellectually stimulating. Playing a game of catch with a ball is intellectually stimulating. There is no value based upon the difficulty of the task. Your simply using your mind to solve a problem. Doesn't matter if how trivial the task happens to be.

Once again your playing the wrong games. There are a great many games that are built around story, and developers have found a way to convey stories well through aspects of a game. There is a reason that Mass Effect the game is going on to be Mass Effect the Movie. Lost Odyssey incorporates a collection of short stories. The list goes on and on. You need to widen your horizons.

Speaking to art well that is entirely subjective being that beauty, or meaning for that matter is in the eye of the beholder. That said the art in this game doesn't appear to be any more or less meaningful then the art in other games. Honestly I do appreciate animation, but while it can be visually stunning is it really art with a message. Does every tree that is drawn contain a message. Beyond a attention to detail.

By the way I have watched most of the films from Ghibli, and frankly yeah misery can be sweet. The analogy was in reference to the potency not the disposition. That said a movie can both be incredibly moving, and also be very stimulating. For instance Forest Gump was a sugar sweet movie, and it did so through the good things, and the bad things. Why did it win a lot of awards, because even as it was potent it was also thought provoking. That just isn't the case with Ghibli films. They are fairly simple narratives.

By the way while we are on the subject of literary matters if you like Ghibli. You might want to look into some good mythological anthologies. I think that is something you might reall enjoy. I would suggest forgoing mediterranean mythologies first, and look into Native American Mythologies. Simple narratives do have a beauty.

Oh please, a game of catch is intellectually stimulating?  Sure, if you combine obscure defintions of both intellect and stimulate.  Really, intellectually stimulating carries a connotation of helping one's intellect to GROW and PROGRESS.  The same old doesn't do anything for it.  I've never seen intellect applied to such things as reflexes and such.  It's because intellect is defined as the ability to reason and understand.  That's why I mentioned things like challenging the way one thinks or changing one's outlook on the world.

Compare how stimulating a Faulkner book* is vs. the two games you mentioned.  There's really no comparison.  I've played a good bit of Mass Effect, and the story is average sci-fi crap.  Even within its own genre, the Ender's Game/Shadow series stands leagues above Mass Effect.  You're honestly going to tell me that The Lost Odyssey is on par with The Canterbury Tales or other comparable collections of short stories?  I'm not even going to bother to get into how the primary way stories are told in video games are through cut scenes, which, at their heart, aren't games at all, but rather short films.  Very few games like Half Life have tried to tell a story exclusively through a player-controlled world.

Please don't try to pull the whole "Art is subjective" BS.  Yes, that's true in regards to our own personal enjoyment, but that's an impossible way to judge things and if it were truly the case we couldn't have discusions about anything.  Regardless, my point was that I expect them to integrate the story into the game very well because they are very skilled storytellers (You can't seriously deny that, right?).  One of the biggest issues with stories in games is that they can impede gameplay.  I'm replaying SW: Battlefront on the XBox and the little cut scenes explaining each battle are really frustrating.  I just wanna kill baddies and cap points.  I think they'll do a very good job of making the story interesting, but not intrusive.

Again, if you're trying to say they're always full of emotion, that's different from emotional high (which carries a positive conotation).  Word choice is the issue here.  It's ironic that you argue that, as Roger Ebert made note of the exact opposite in his review of Grave of the Fireflies: "Japanese poets use "pillow words" that are halfway between pauses and punctuation, and the great director Yasujiro Ozu uses "pillow shots"--a detail from nature, say, to separate two scenes. "Grave of the Fireflies" uses them, too. Its visuals create a kind of poetry. There are moments of quick action, as when the bombs rain down and terrified people fill the streets, but this film doesn't exploit action; it meditates on its consequences."

By the way I really don't appreciate the patronizing last paragraph.

* In the unlikely case you're unaware, this is the guy who wrote stuff like The Sound and The Fury and As I Lay Dying; the former starts off with a portion told from the perspective of a mentally retarded individual, and the second portion is from a person in the process of having a mental breakdown and committing suicide.

@Lafiel: Because "story telling is to movies as gameplay is to games."  There is no deeper layer in Ghibli movies, and there doesn't need to be.  Subtle development, sure, but movies aren't some detective case where you need to guess what's REALLY going on.  It's right there in front of you.  Ghibli movies are great because the basic story can be enjoyed by all but, as I said, there's some really subtle stuff going on that those who wish to can appreciate (who does that sound like in the video game world!?!?!?).

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
jarrod said:

no I haven't, I've played only very few Nintendo games, so you may say I'm all wrong about them, but..

When I think of Ghibli I think of Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo and Spirited Away -and Howl's Moving Castle, but that's not a Ghibli original- (*sigh* I normally only use the japanese names). These all are movies with a meaning, with a deeper layer, besides these Ghibli also made some "pure fun" work, but that's not their prime works.

And when I think of Nintendo it's Mario, Pokèmon and Zelda and (nearly?) all of them are 100% about gameplay and don't even have the ambition to go into a deeper layer of thought than just "pure fun".

I don't see where these companies are comparable.

The problem here is you're confusing mediums, and focusing primarily on story.  Film is strictly narrative, while games are not.  Within their mediums both Nintendo and Ghibli are pretty similar, they target "everyone", they're hugely popular and influential (worldwide), they're perfectionists and deliver extremely polished results, they came up around the same time, they're both pretty prolific but don't sacrifice quality as a result...

I'd also say your experience with Nintendo is pretty limited if you really think that there's never any "deeper layer" to their work.  Even within the series you mentioned, there can be emotional resonance.  Take the Little Prince inspired story within Mario Galaxy, it's more or less the background story for Roslina, and reveals she left home as a child to travel in the stars to find her dead mother (and eventually came to fill her mother's role for the Lumas).  Or in Link's Awakening, the realization of what waking the Wind Fish will do to the world and people in it.  Or the pure isolation in Metroid, the mission of genocide in Metroid 2, which is directly inverted in Metroid 3.  Majora's Mask is filled with evocative moments, usually centering on NPCs (the girl's father in the desert, the wedding mask subquest, etc) but there's also striking moments of beauty and scale just within the main game (awakening the giants, the children playing on the moon, etc).  Generally too, the notion that you literally "can't save everyone" and the everpresent armageddon (literally staring you in the face), Majora's Mask is a rare instance where game design (3-day cycle, repeating patterns) actually leads to an emotional response, and that's just echoed in the dark and complex story.  Actually, I'd say Majora's Mask feels almost like a Ghibli film, much moreso than the stark and reductive narratives you find in ICO or SOTC imo. There's often narrative layers to Nintendo's own games, though it usually tends to be in their adventure titles rather than their platformers, racers or shooters.

Also, I'm speaking purely to Nintendo developed games.  Pokemon is really Game Freak's. The only Pokemon titles Nintendo ever did inhouse were the N64 Stadium games, which were just arena based supplements to the main Game Boy titles.

Studio Ghibli is amazing. I don't see how anyone can hate their effort.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I don't think anyone here said they hate it. Just not hyped like sliced bread.

Well, I'm glad you like Nausicaa, it's up near my favs. I've yet to see Ponyo.

I'm not sure if necessarily every Miyazaki movie is Ghibli (is it?), but my personal favorite is Spirited Away. Love that movie

edit: Definitely agree with the Nintendo = Ghibli sentiment

c0rd said:

I'm not sure if necessarily every Miyazaki movie is Ghibli (is it?), but my personal favorite is Spirited Away. Love that movie

Everything from Nausicaa on is (Ghibli formed more or less to do Nausicaa iirc).  There's some earlier work (Sherlock Hound, Lupin III, etc) that was done with other studios.