By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What defines the Zelda experience?

Khuutra said:

When I played the original Zelda for the first time a couple of years ago, I didn't have a map - naturally, since I was playing on the virtual console. But I was easily lost. So what I did was draw out my own map using a plain sheet of printer paper, a pencil, and a ruler. I mapped out the most important parts of every screen, including the exits, so that all I needed to do to plot out a course to any previously visited screen was glance at the map. By the end of the game, the map was a mess, but I could read it perfectly.

You could have used THIS

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

I don't remember that Grandma moment in Wind Waker at all, but I'm sure I must've visited home some time. Weird.

If it's one thing you never mentioned that will stick with me, it's getting Biggoron's sword. I don't know how loved that thing is outside of the circle of people I know, but for us it was the most badass thing ever. Unfortunately, it means disappointment for every future game that doesn't offer some sort of massive, two-hand sword.

Here's to hoping there's one in Skyward Sword, lol

mysticwolf said:
Khuutra said:

When I played the original Zelda for the first time a couple of years ago, I didn't have a map - naturally, since I was playing on the virtual console. But I was easily lost. So what I did was draw out my own map using a plain sheet of printer paper, a pencil, and a ruler. I mapped out the most important parts of every screen, including the exits, so that all I needed to do to plot out a course to any previously visited screen was glance at the map. By the end of the game, the map was a mess, but I could read it perfectly.

You could have used THIS

That would not have been even close to as magical.

c0rd said:

I don't remember that Grandma moment in Wind Waker at all, but I'm sure I must've visited home some time. Weird.

If it's one thing you never mentioned that will stick with me, it's getting Biggoron's sword. I don't know how loved that thing is outside of the circle of people I know, but for us it was the most badass thing ever. Unfortunately, it means disappointment for every future game that doesn't offer some sort of massive, two-hand sword.

Last time we played through together, my wife got to the Grandma part and cried her eyes out. Partially because her father has problems with depression, and partially because Link's grandma looks just like her grandma.

And man, if I described every awesome thing in Zelda I'd be here a lo longer than discussion probably warrants.

The Biggoron sword was bitching, though. As I remember, it could kill Twinrova or Bongo-Bongo in like three freaking hits, if the first two were jump attacks. It was just absurd. I still liked the Master Sword btter because I liked the image of holding a sword in one hand and your shield in the other, but the Biggoron sword was what you pulled out when something absolutely had to die.

Weird that you should say that Dark Link was the hardest.  I had that exact same problem on a previous replay.  Every Boss and Temple was easily tackled, but that darn Dark Link.  Don't feel too bad, looking back, I do actually think he is the hardest part of the game.... especially if you try to beat him the more honorable way ( Din's Fire is cheep!).

Remember, magic is just stuff science has not made boring yet.

Around the Network

If I were to use a single word to explain why I love Zelda, it's exploration. Or freedom. The freedom to explore, kind of. Note that this goes mostly towards the 3D Zelda games, as I truly love them, whereas the 2D games never really amazed me that much.

I absolutely love mocking about, exploring. Every time I walk across an area in a game, I see loads of different opportunities for hidden paths, hidden objects or hidden enemies. But pretty much none of those hidden paths are ever used. The game wants me to move through that area, it doesn't want you to mock about.

The same goes for enemies. There's the obvious, effective way to kill an enemy, and there's the retarded crappy, ludicrously hard ways to kill them. If I have the choice, I never choose the effective way. Unfortunately, few games really have different ways to kill enemies.

That's what makes Zelda so interesting. There's tons of hidden stuff to explore, and there are loads of ways to kill the enemies.

I remember one place from Twilight Princess incredibly well. On Hyrule Field, you fire a bomb arrow up onto a hill to open a way. Running up there on Epona, you encounter some strange marks on the wall. Well, fiddlesticks, there was nothing here after all!

*A couple of temples later, you find a spinner*. Aha! So that's what the  silly marks on the wall were. I have to go there! So I head up there, and jump with the spinner in a series of ways that took me ages to manage. On the top, there's a heart piece. Upon getting it, the "heart container get" tune plays. That makes me feel bloody fantastic. Forget killing the boss, forget realising the plot, that beats pretty much anything. The game never gave me a clue towards this, I found it purely through exploration and remembering. I feel bloody fantastic every time something similar to this happens, and that feeling lasts for a long time. In fact, such an experience makes the entire rest of the playsession bloody fantastic.

Another thing about Zelda is that it lets me do things the wrong way.

On the Hyrule Field on the northern exit from Kakariko village (Twilight Princess), a large bunch of enemies approach you. From Epona, those enemies would be a piece of cake. But say I jump off Epona, what then? Then they're bloody hard. There's absolutely no in-game reward for defeating them that way, but it's a lot of fun.

So, if I choose to make the game hard, it's hard. If I choose to make it easy, it's easy.  It's completely up to my mood. I love that.

Oh, and there's the music. That's a bloody huge part of this. Part of the reason why exploring is so brilliant is because I enjoy just listening to the music. I don't really have to do anything else, I'm perfectly content with just that.

All the other "main" parts of Zelda are great and fun too, but they're really nothing compared to Zelda letting me use my imagination. I can walk where I want, fight how I want and do mostly everything how I want.  I guess it sort of is that I can adapt the gameplay to how I want it.

For me, a Zelda game is about starting off weak and slowly growing more capable and powerful.  It's about sublime innocence triumphing over obsene evil.  It's about resourcefulness and imagination.  It's about being the absolute best that pure gameplay that gaming has to offer.  And, like Mario's games, it's about making a 30 something year old guy feel like a twelve year old kid again --and it works every single time.

A sense of joy and wonderment, a feeling of adventure.

I got that feeling when I boarded the train in spirit tracks for the first time, when I went sailing in Wind Waker for the first time, when I stepped onto the Hyrule fields in OOT for the first time.

Its the music combined with the surroundings and animations happening in the background that can make you feel  sense of joy/wonderment. Unfortunately I didn't get too much of that in Twilight Princess, but thats for a different thread.

Apart from that innovative puzzles that challenge you and make you think "Why didn't anyone think of this puzzle before"...that feeling was there in OOT, spirit tracks and PH to a certain extent (but that got tedious when you had to go through the ocean king's temple again and again).

A story that doesn't take itself too seriously but keeps you wanting to move on.

Funnily enough the combat itself isn't something thats defined Zelda for me (well maybe OOT because that really was the first time I played something like it) BUT skyward word might be the one that will make me amazed by the combat in the game.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

good question i don't really have an answer to.

but thinking about it reminded me of darksiders. thq obviously tried to imitate the zelda experience. in my opinion... they didn't succeed. why? not sure. technically it's better than any zelda game, it had decent voice acting and copied pretty much everything else zelda does... but i never got the "zelda experience". all zelda games i have played were ridiculously great compared to darksiders, despite the technical advantage.

Khuutra said:
c0rd said:

Last time we played through together, my wife got to the Grandma part and cried her eyes out. Partially because her father has problems with depression, and partially because Link's grandma looks just like her grandma.

And man, if I described every awesome thing in Zelda I'd be here a lo longer than discussion probably warrants.

The Biggoron sword was bitching, though. As I remember, it could kill Twinrova or Bongo-Bongo in like three freaking hits, if the first two were jump attacks. It was just absurd. I still liked the Master Sword btter because I liked the image of holding a sword in one hand and your shield in the other, but the Biggoron sword was what you pulled out when something absolutely had to die.

The Biggoron sword was unique because it has not sincce been emulated in Zelda, where you could really build another sword that had a different style of play (more offense less defense), and was a useful but totally nonessential component. No result of a sidequest since has bene as fulfilling.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.