By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What defines the Zelda experience?

This is something that seems to come up in discussion every once in a while, particularly as of late with the introduction of a third school of Zelda design (the puzzle-centric DS school) and the announcement of a new console title.

It's generally agreed on by the designers, Miyamoto and Tezuka and Nakago and Aonuma and Fujibayashi, that setting down a primary and singular spirit of the Zelda franchise borders on impossible, because it will vary from person to person, from designer to designer, from player to player.

This topic is about you saying what defines Zelda for you.

There is no wrong answer here, so long as you are honest with yourself and the values that appeal to you. If you like te puzzles, or exploration, or combat, or characters, or the world, or something more ephemeral like experience, then more power to you. Say it. Discuss it. Argue about it, if you want. But this is a topic about sharing what we love about the franchise, not tearing down what other people value. Remember that.

Later today I'll share what defines Zelda for me.

Around the Network

Zelda is it's own definition! That's the best answer I can think of, and that's how I feel about it. Every time I get my hands on a new Zelda game I expect a "Zelda experience". It's familiar but at the same time you can expect the unexpected.

There's no one thing that defines Zelda for me. It's the sum of its parts. The epic adventure, the gameplay, the characters, the setting, the puzzles, the boss fights... It all adds up to create one hell of a gaming experience.

Other games have all, or some of the aspects that make Zelda great, but Zelda just has that something special that sets it apart from the rest. It has that 'x-factor', if you will.

VGChartz

There's no other game like Zelda. Atmosphere, fantasy, sense of adventure, courage, puzzles, immersive worlds/stories, epic ennemies/battles and quest. It's every aspect of Zelda, put together that makes it so appealing. Some games have some of those things but don't have the others. It's this great, but balanced mix that I so dearly love.

This is why I don't play many other action/adventure games. They pale in comparison!

Honestly I don't think that Zelda is AMAZING. Most people say that Zelda is the best franchise ever made when I don't think that its even in my top 10 franchises ever made. I don't think that I am a "core" gamer but I am more of an in the middle gamer. I find Zelda hard but I guess that is one of the reasons people like Zelda... My point is that Zelda is just decent for me but with that said I can still see why other people like it so much. Most Zelda games do look very well made with a lot of detail and good gameplay. The only Zelda game that impressed me though was WindWaker for its graphics. Zelda Skyward Sword does hold a spot on my list of games to maybe buy.

Around the Network

The only way to sum it up is the first three LoZ for consoles and the answer will come at you without words

i think the sense of adventure and the sandbox style also the "Being alone in this huge fantasy world" is ALWAYS awesome.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I could have said "Everything" and I would still tell you the truth.

But if there's one thing that really defines the series for me is its songs.

No matter if it's the main theme playing in Hyrule field, Zelda's lullaby playing when you see her for the first time or that little sound they use when you solve a puzzle. They all make me feel like I'm in a good place.

The exact same goes for Metroid - the little tune when you get itens -  or with Mario - pipe sounds, fireball sounds, the legendary main theme - little things that feel the same generation after generation.

I'm not entirely certain. It's definitely one of those ethereal questions, like what defines Metroid (but that'll be my topic to tackle, if you please).

With Zelda it's primarily about using your wits to overcome obstacles, to take advantage of your entire arsenal to fight various foes, as well as a world of colorful and distinctive NPCs and enemies.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

For me it's the setting and being alone as you play the role of a hero from an awesome fantasy world exploring the immersive world, finding dungeons, fighting monsters, solving puzzles, listening to the memorable songs,    

So it's the entire experience that defines the series and all of the nostalgic memory's I've had with Zelda over the years.