By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy is just too amazing

CDiablo said:
Im not sure if I would say so and I am pretty much a Nintendo fanboy. I own plenty of systems and have played plenty of games. I just dont see it and I dont think it could be GOTY. I havent played all the contenders but I have a few problems(I have not beat the game yet but have about 60 stars):

*Fairly easy.
*Camera sometimes puts you in a bad position.
*Swimming is messed up due to moving camera IMO.

I'm a harsh reviewer but the game is extremely fun to play. Great graphics, sound and level design. I still dont see this as the overall GOTY and feel that Mario 64 is much better than this.

Fairly easy? Come on, have you even tried to get all 121 stars?

Around the Network

Yeah it shits me when people say its way too easy, sure maybe to get 60 and have the boss battle. But to get all 120 stars can be lesson in frustration. Once you have 100 stars, this game is a ball breaker.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Being an Australian I only jsut got this game last Thursday. I then promptly got sick... but played it anyway. I now have 72 stars. To me that says it all. Any game you want to play even when you're stomach is doing nothing but trying to empty itself is one awesome game.

In comparison to Mario 64, I think a lot of people are seeing Mario 64 through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia. I actually do think that Galaxy is better, not just technically but in terms of the sheer amount of creativity that went into designing each level. More than once I found myself just looking at the screen in slack jawed awe thinking surely that did not just happen only to realise, much to my delight that yes, the impossible did just happen and it was way, way cool. More to the point, even when I'm dying I'm having fun. I'm not throwing away the game in disgust, I'm plotting revenge, working out my next move and hurling myself at it with an enthusiasm I'd quite forgotten I ever had.

People ask how Galaxy can get away with having a weak storyline and a pudy Italian plumber for a star. My answer is simply this: Galaxy takes us back to what Mario has always been about; pure and unadulterated gaming joy. I've waited a long, long time for a game that doesn't care about anything but fun and I'm happy that when it mattered most, Nintendo once again had the mettle to stand and deliver.

On another note... Prime only came out 3 weeks ago in Australia and Galaxy is cutting into my replay time severely...

i think the game is groundbreaking. It is so much better than SM64 in some aspects, but not in others. I generally found the general atmosphere and levels to be much better than in SM64; i liked the gravity effects on mario in certain stages, and the music was amazing. Also, this is actually the first mario game where Bowser actually seems evil, in all the other games he just seemed quite pathetic tbh.

What i didnt like in comparison to SM64 was the exploration of the levels, as someone said earlier. The levels in SMG arent as expansive or explorable as in SM64, nor as rememberable. I remember every single SM64 stage as they were all so diverse and different, but i probably dont remember half of the SMG ones.

There are also the gripes that Swimming has its problems (it does get easier though), and the flying star thing (which i think is horrendously hard to control).

Overall, i think that SM64 and SMG are both very different games, each has its pros and cons.

misteromar mk4 said:
Yeah it shits me when people say its way too easy, sure maybe to get 60 and have the boss battle. But to get all 120 stars can be lesson in frustration. Once you have 100 stars, this game is a ball breaker.

same here, how can you judge the games difficulty by the first half of it, when in almost all cases in gaming, games get progressively more difficult

Around the Network
misteromar mk4 said:

The purple coin challenges are pure genius.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Final fantasy

33? WTF?

mM
LG[Infinite] said:

On another note... Prime only came out 3 weeks ago in Australia and Galaxy is cutting into my replay time severely...

I haven't even had time to finish Prime.  Before i could galaxy came out. before i could finish that sonic & mario at the olympics came out.  just as i unlocked all events umbrella chronicles came out. played that for a bit and will now go back and finish galaxy. when i finish that i think i'll finish umbrella chronicles. after i finish that i'll finally go back and finish Prime. i hate it when multiple games i want come out so close together after there was a gap of like 4 months with nothing i wanted

azzer100 said:
misteromar mk4 said:

Corrrection"Evil Genius"

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

misteromar mk4 said:
azzer100 said:
misteromar mk4 said:

Corrrection"Evil Genius"

Agreed ^.. Man the purple coins on the Luigi Face is really starting to piss me off.