By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS uses DMP's PICA(R)200 chip

Who cares if it's old technology, to me what I saw (Metal Gear, Kid Icarus and the pictures of the upcoming games) was impressiv, if the technology is also not very expensive, doesn't require a lot of power and is easy to develop for Nintendo has done an amazing job!

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
Christian973 said:
alfredofroylan said:

This's the video used as a presentation of this chip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-xxUyJvQQ

According to GAF this's below GC but above Dreamcast with low power consumption and quite cheap, so can we guess something below 200 for the price?

Impressive. Very impressive.

Just like u sad Impressive !

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Poking around DMP's site, they list Silicon Studio as one of their key software and system integration partners!

3D Dot Game Heroes 3DS?

Clearly it can't be weaker than PSP, considering what we've seen is at the very least on par with PSP, but would require 2x PSP power to run from 3D

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The key here is the Maestro Shader Extensions.  From what I hear, these are standard shader functions used by most developers.  The difference is that on current gen GPUs, these are programmed by the developers and then sent to the GPU.  The PICA200 has these functions as part of the hardware.  So while it's still a fixed function GPU (OpenGLES 1.1 confirms this), it is still capable of all the shader effects of a modern GPU.

That's why developers were saying it was more powerful than the Wii and had the abilities of the HD consoles (that didn't mean power, just capabilities).  They never learned how to write their own shaders for the Wii's TEV unit and since the 3DS uses a chip with those shaders built in, they assume it's more powerful.

Around the Network

Ur 3DS gif ... just epic.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Amazing! So 3DS is more advanced tech (dated by 2006) than PS3 which uses outdated Cell processor announced in 2005, lol. Impressive indeed :)

Oh, and beforehand some fan' feelings are hurt -> relax, kids

very good, sounds impressive

wow, can't wait to hear what the CPU and RAM are. Probably stronger than PSP and Gamecube or maybe even Wii.

Here's a chart comparing the 3DS with the iPhone and PSP. Apparently yes, the 3DS's GPU is more powerful than a GC and Wii clocked at 400MHz with built-in powerful shaders that can make it look like a crappy ps3 or xbox360 game. So the dev rumors weren't false it was true due to the shaders being more powerful.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/nintendo-3ds-specs-comparison/

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909