By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Common misconceptions about Christianity.

Religion aparts us instead of bringing us together

Around the Network
lightbleeder said:

Try saying that in the face of Father Changstien el Gamahl,

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
lightbleeder said:

Try saying that in the face of Father Changstien el Gamahl,

who's that?

lightbleeder said:

No, human nature  - the need for tribal identity - does that. All religions are about social unity. People use it to their own needs, desires and faults, like they do anything else.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I wont get into the entire debate, but I've never once heard that just believing in Jesus will make you a Christian and get you into heaven.

Belief in something is not active and does not require effort. Doing as Jesus told us(abstaining from sin, doing good works, seeking God/salvation, fasting, meditating on God's word, caring for the poor) all require effort, thought, discipline, etc. Being a Christian is to strive to become Christ-like, and simply believing that Jesus is the Son of God doesnt even begin to cover that.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network

I believe that there is a higher power or a god/gods out there somewhere. But I can't put my faith into this type of stuff. But kudos to anyone who does, doesn't bother me if others do. I just choose not to.

Christianity is Judaism for Non-Jews. Thats all.

I hope, there will be the day, mankind can live their sprituality without the scourge of humanity - religion.

Islam, Christianity, Judaism and all this outher s...t are all talking about peace and love and producing hate, small minds and death, of course!

Looke what Christianity brought to the native americans or to unbeliever in medieval times - millions over millions of death - against Christianity Hitler was Kindergarten!

Religion is all about power, nothing else.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value..."

Alan Greenspan, 1967

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
lightbleeder said:

No, human nature  - the need for tribal identity - does that. All religions are about social unity. People use it to their own needs, desires and faults, like they do anything else.

So that's why some inmigrants in Europe integrate perfectly into society and others form their own ghettos? I always thought it was basically religion...

the most common misconception about Christianity that I know of is that people think that its somehow believable or worthwhile. in fairness to it, this is a misconception that all religions seem to suffer from.

ManusJustus said:
thanny said:

The other thing is that many people condemn christianity and christians for the laws of the old testament. By this i mean the arguement of 'You can't believe in some of the bible and not all of it'.

The old testament is the law before Jesus Christ.

God cannot be near sin. This means that for a person to be with God they must be completely without sin. This is why the old testament has many laws or whatever about animal sacrifice. The sacrifice pays for the sins, and thus the individual can be in the presence of God. Jesus Christ dying on the cross was a sacrifice for the sins of everyone, making these laws obsolete.

In the Old Testament, God told the Israelites to rape and kill children after they conquered their city.  Not quite the 'God cannot be near sin' idea that you state.

Look, I appreciate that you hate religion, or maybe just Christianity, I don't know, but anyway, this was a totally unnecessary attack. 

This thread is not about that, you're not on topic here.  You don't have to come running every time someone talks about his faith and turn it into a war. 

I don't know what went on in the thread the OP refers to, and maybe that's why you came in here with that comment, but please leave it there. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!