By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect Can't Detect Wrist Movement

According to Business Insider's Mark Wilson, Kinect is unable to pick up some of the more subtle movements of the human body, such as wrist movement. He noticed this when playing the bowling game featured in Kinect Sports. He was told by the developers that "the game can't track spin based upon a twist of [the] wrist"--an unfortunate quirk considering its importance in the sport of bowling.

Although Kinect can do a lot of things, finer wrist movement isn't one of them--an area that both PlayStation Move and Wii MotionPlus have a leg-up on it, allowing for full bowling ball control. Of course, to be fair to Kinect, it's also the only bowling game I've seen where you can literally shot put the bowling ball down the lane, which looks hilarious, even if completely unrealistic.

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-179-1277081359-kinect-cant-detect-wrist-movement.html

Around the Network

Might just be the game and not Kinect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Screw moving your wrists... I'm just going to throw the ball :D:D:D:D

Signalstar said:

Also this....

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

I wonder what other fine motor movements are being missed.

Also, I wonder if this means  you have to make very broad movements, meaning that some games could become very tiring.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

dsister said:

Screw moving your wrists... I'm just going to throw the ball :D:D:D:D

Signalstar said:

Also this....

in games like bowling wrist movements and football the ankle movements matter alot if you want to add the spin to the ball

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:

in games like bowling wrist movements and football the ankle movements matter alot if you want to add the spin to the ball

I didn't see any part of the story where the developer said that Kinect can't track wrist movements

It's an interesting problem. As most games depend on slighter movements, could the Kinect end up being what everyone parodied the wii as? A system that requires you to flail your body around? Otherwise, I'm not sure how well it will detect motions.

dsister said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

I didn't see any part of the story where the developer said that Kinect can't track wrist movements

subtle movements are those movements

Solid_Snake4RD said:
dsister said:

Quote the part where the developer said that

dsister said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
dsister said:

Quote the part where the developer said that

According to Business Insider's Mark Wilson, Kinect is unable to pick up some of the more subtle movements of the human body, such as wrist movement. He noticed this when playing the bowling game featured in Kinect Sports. He was told by the developers that "the game can't track spin based upon a twist of [the] wrist"

Seems to me like the developer pretty clearly stated that Kinect cannot track the finer movements of the wrist..such as twisting of the wrist.  If it could,  they would be able to track the spin based on the twist of the wrist and add that into the game.