By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect Can't Detect Wrist Movement

From what I've read, Kinect is capable of detecting the movement of even individual fingers.  So much confilicting information.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

From what I've read, Kinect is capable of detecting the movement of even individual fingers.  So much confilicting information.

actually fingers are less subtle as they are still individual bones but Wrist is like grinding one bone against another with fleash in between to make it smooth so its more complicated

slowmo said:

Just occasionally it'd be nice to read what Kinect CAN actually do.  The hating on any small detail is getting rather old already.

Well when people get scared they tend to lash out....

Homeroids said:

@slowmo

From my POV - not hating, more like curiosity. I am just logically trying to think it through. I just rewatched the promo released last year by MS, the famous promo where the entire family use Natal. If that's what is expected then cool. But again, I am just throwing things up here because I will admit, I am skeptical, given that only the front plane of the subject is actually being detected.

I can understand skepics, honestly I can, but why does it need a new thread every day with someone bitching about a unreleased device with ZERO evidence in most cases of the claims being made?  People whined about multiple Natal hype threads (all 5 over a 6 month period or so) then proceed to start a shed load of threads criticizing the technology, once again the hypocrsy strikes.

I think this issue is going to need further investigation.  This review states:

Yup, just like real bowling… I sucked. The camera is able to detect wrist twisting, so I quite often ended up with a gutter ball.

I suppose the question is how much motion it can detect.

Remember how we wouldn't be able to use Kinect at all while sitting?

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
d21lewis said:

actually fingers are less subtle as they are still individual bones but Wrist is like grinding one bone against another with fleash in between to make it smooth so its more complicated

Well, on the plus side, that bit of info spares me the need to post about the possibility of a Power Glove for Kinect used to measure finger and wrist movement.

Any camera based tracking that doesn't cost thousands will always have difficulty with subtle motion. Remember that it's a camera. Seriously check out parallax perspective. It's sooooo important to the study of Move, Kinect and WiiRemote IR. It's really difficult to judge an objects angle from the perspective of a 2D silhouette than can change distance. Really try it. And we expected a Camera to do it?

Anyways I've always loved the idea of webcam gaming. I think it's fantastic input medium. Kinect is just a better webcam set of technology, but it's the same principle. Check out some PC software videos http://www.google.ca/search?q=camtrax&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=jsgfTLqkNoLinAe6qLyHDg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC0QqwQwAw

Once of them shows finger movement, but of course it's coloured.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

slowmo said:
Homeroids said:

@slowmo

From my POV - not hating, more like curiosity. I am just logically trying to think it through. I just rewatched the promo released last year by MS, the famous promo where the entire family use Natal. If that's what is expected then cool. But again, I am just throwing things up here because I will admit, I am skeptical, given that only the front plane of the subject is actually being detected.

I can understand skepics, honestly I can, but why does it need a new thread every day with someone bitching about a unreleased device with ZERO evidence in most cases of the claims being made?  People whined about multiple Natal hype threads (all 5 over a 6 month period or so) then proceed to start a shed load of threads criticizing the technology, once again the hypocrsy strikes.

But this is all said in context of the thread title - to do with wrist movements. So all Iam doing is trying to logically propose why wrist movements may be difficult to track. That is all.

Conversely, there seems to be quite a lot of insecurity by some who see any discussion diected at Kinect, if they think it appears negative. All we are discussing here is a possible limitation.

noslodecoy said:

I think this issue is going to need further investigation.  This review states:

Yup, just like real bowling… I sucked. The camera is able to detect wrist twisting, so I quite often ended up with a gutter ball.

I suppose the question is how much motion it can detect.

Remember how we wouldn't be able to use Kinect at all while sitting?

Just like every other speculative flame bait thread written by the skeptics in the last week.

@slowmo

Quotting from the twitter article in regards to wrist movements.

"And while designers admit that, unlike Wii MotionPlus bowling, the game can't track spin based upon a twist of my wrist—instead you exaggerate the motion within the entire scope of your swing—the flexibility keeps me immersed. I granny-roll the ball between my legs. I throw the ball, side-arm style, down the lane. I'm a horrible bowler but Kinect doesn't mind.

Here's my take - if the game is fun to play, I wouldn't give a rats about the subtle wrist movement limitation. All I am saying, just don't expect Kinect to do magic. Like any tech, it has limitations. As I was trying to point out earlier, and not invoke a protectionist reaction, is that to do true 3D space tracking, you probably need more than a front position parralax tracking camera system. You would need a body suit OR additionally placed sensors. The promo released by MS last year is idealistic. That is where my skepticism is at. My skepticism has nothing to do on whether Kinect Sports will be a vastly enjoyable game. Kinect will achieve it's purpose with this game - a highly enjoyable, immersive game aimed at an untapped casual market. And for that reason, you have to give credit where credit is due.