By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kinect only supports two players, Move supports two-ish

RolStoppable said:
Euphoria14 said:

Not sure if this has been asked, but why is it when the guy throws up his right arm in the game his avatar raises his left arm? Check the end of the video.

Even when he throws his arm in a downward motion the game is using the opposite arm.

Same thing happens with the girl at the beginning.

I just found that odd, why does it register the opposite arm/leg that you are moving?

Because that's less confusing for the player. Imagine you are playing that game and the TV works like a mirror. That way it's much easier to perform the right commands.

For example, Eyetoy Groove and the WiiWare game Helix also work in the same way.

Thanks.

That is what I figured, but it still looks weird.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Euphoria14 said:

Thanks.

That is what I figured, but it still looks weird.

Once you've played a game like that, you will be thankful that it is the way it is.

Probably would but to be honest I don't enjoy dancing much so I doubt I would ever play that game.

DDR is about as far as I will go.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

i saw families of 4 playing kinect in the ads?

End of 2010 Predictions

Microsoft-45.4M

Nintendo-75.6M

Sony-40.2M

(Made on 6-10-2010)

kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
kowenicki said:
leo-j said:
kowenicki said:

4 player motion gaming?  never done it on the Wii.... ever. 

I doubt I could in my gaming room (space).... and I doubt I'd want the brusies from elbows smashing into my ribs and face.

2 is enough for me, so Sony and MS are just fine.

The ps3 supports 4 move controllers

I know...  but it doesnt support 4 controllers and 4 navs...

anyhow.. same would apply...

how many times has anyone played 4 player MOTION controlled games in front of their TV?  anyone?  its a rare (if not non-existant) occurrence.  Its never happend in my house.. never more than 2.

NSMBwii, mario party, boom blox, mario kart.

like i said... not many

I have all of those and have never had more than 2 playing at once.

Its another non-issue to try and have a dig at Kinect... thats all.

I agree. Mario Kart (any other 4 way split screen) really needs HD to play 4 players.

RolStoppable said:
Smidlee said:

I agree. Mario Kart (any other 4 way split screen) really needs HD to play 4 players.

You are confusing HD with big screen.

No I'm not. One  half of two way split screen on a 720p TV has more pixels than a SDTV full screen. Thus on 720p it like each player has it own screen or 2 standard TV into one. 
When you start dividing a SDTV 4 ways you can serious see the limitations no matter how big the screen you have.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Smidlee said:
RolStoppable said:
Smidlee said:

You are confusing HD with big screen.

No I'm not. One  half of two way split screen on a 720p TV has more pixels than a SDTV full screen. Thus on 720p it like each player has it own screen or 2 standard TV into one. 

Interesting.

My personal experience has been that people look out for banana peels and green shells on the track instead of counting pixels.

My family actually wasted the money buying controllers just to play Mario kart 4 players. We played 4 players once or twice before we just played only 2 at a time. There is not just enough pixels to get a good view of the surround area like when you race two players. My wife knows nothing about pixels yet she noticed this.

By the way just to shoot down some of the more annoying critics on here:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Video-Game-Examiner~y2010m6d21-Kiect-not-limited-to-2players-Has-unlimited-possibilites

At E3, PrimeSense showed a demonstration to JoyStiq which showed two-players going through a demo, though the camera technology did recognize more. This demonstration was built solely by PrimeSense and in no way has any relation or link to the software and game coding Microsoft has developed for Kinect. PrimeSense is the provider of the hardware chip for Microsoft, but Microsoft handles the rest, so the demo put on by PrimeSense does not reflect what Kintect can do in terms of total players.

The camera technology can detect an unlimited number of people, so if it's programmed in such a way, it can process and render more than two-players at a time. At the current time, Microsoft hasn't revealed how many players Kinect will support, but last year they did mention it could and would allow for 4-player gaming. PrimeSense did state that they do not know how many players Microsoft currently has Kinect setup to handle. With Kinect and the PrimeSense demonstration two completely separate entities, but the camera itself can detect a limitless number of people. It's solely limited based on the software that is implemented to the camera' hardware chip.

Enjoy

/thread

slowmo said:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Video-Game-Examiner~y2010m6d21-Kiect-not-limited-to-2players-Has-unlimited-possibilites

Enjoy

/thread

quote for the article "...but the camera itself can detect a limitless number of people. It's solely limited based on the software that is implemented to the camera' hardware chip." I really do't care how many people the camera can see but how many realistically can it track well enough at  the same time for gaming.

RolStoppable said:
Smidlee said:
RolStoppable said:

Interesting.

My personal experience has been that people look out for banana peels and green shells on the track instead of counting pixels.

My family actually wasted the money buying controllers just to play Mario kart 4 players. We played 4 players once or twice before we just played only 2 at a time. There is not just enough pixels to get a good view of the surround area like when you race two players. My wife knows nothing about pixels yet she noticed this.

Sorry, but I am not buying this story. People were enjoying Mario Kart 64 just fine back in the day. That was on smaller screens than today's TVs have and the resolution was only about a quarter of what Mario Kart Wii displays (320x240 vs. 640x480).

But out of curiosity, what was your kids' reaction?

4 way split screen  was especially bad in the past.

Smidlee said:
slowmo said:

Enjoy

/thread

quote for the article "...but the camera itself can detect a limitless number of people. It's solely limited based on the software that is implemented to the camera' hardware chip." I really do't care how many people the camera can see but how many realistically can it track well enough at  the same time for gaming.

It's irrelevant this entire debate was flawed from the outset as any impartial individual would have known any potential limitation right now on player numbers would be the software for Kinect.  They can release a update in the future to allow 4 players when they release some 4 player games if they wished, the point is it's not limited to 4 players at all.  Thus we have 10 pages arguing with the wrong "facts" because people were being too quick making assumptions.