By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you ashamed of playing Nintendo games?

Games like Wii Sports, Wii Music Wii etc. Yes

Games like Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby? HELL NO

Around the Network

I'm not ashamed to play their games, as I don't really rely on others opinions that much. But on the other hand, there were situations when the people that saw me playing those games (SMG 1, Wii Sports, LKS) asked if I'm 10 to be playing those. Mario does equal gaming, but it's the kiddie gaming acording to many. I guess that you have to play shooter or god of war to look manly enough.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Pineapple said:

I am. I have absolutely no idea why, but I'm ashamed of playing Nintendo games.

I went to the store  to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday. To my own horror, I realised that I felt like I shouldn't be buying the game. As if I was playing something that's really meant for children, not people my age.

This kind of lead to me realising that feeling guilty about buying Nintendo games is a recurring event for me. I've somehow ended up subconciously believing that Nintendo games are "kiddy", or however you prefer to word it.

I talked to some other people about it, and it turns out that there are quite a few people who feel that Nintendo games just aren't for them. They love the games, but sort of feel that as males 18-30, they shouldn't.

Have you ever fallen into that "trap", being ashamed/unwilling to tell others that you play Nintendo games?

I'm ashamed you let yourself get caught up in the "I have to prove my masculinity by never doing anything that doesn't look macho" hysteria.

All you're proven is how immature you and all those other people actually are.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

aragod said:

I'm not ashamed to play their games, as I don't really rely on others opinions that much. But on the other hand, there were situations when the people that saw me playing those games (SMG 1, Wii Sports, LKS) asked if I'm 10 to be playing those. Mario does equal gaming, but it's the kiddie gaming acording to many. I guess that you have to play shooter or god of war to look manly enough.

And how old were these people that asked you if you were 10?

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Hell no!

I have much more important things to be ashamed of.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

No. I am proud to play Nintendo games. Not just the Zelda's and Metroids but the Brain Trainings and Animal Crossings too. I remember when I would play my DSlite in college during breaks or prior to 'reg' if I got thier early and although I would get stick for Nintendogs I never once felt ashamed or embarassed. It made me happy so everyone else could go hang as far as I was concerned.

At work I have actually convinced 4 of my co-workers to get DS's. They were intrigued by it. Now wwe are all proud Nintendo fans together.

bmmb1 said:
aragod said:

And how old were these people that asked you if you were 10?

Ranging from 17 to 50, can't really say I have response from anyone younger, since there just aren't any kids that I know. But knowing today's teen generation, if there isn't blood, gore and sex, they won't be interested. Gogo society!

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

I honestly don't care about other's opinions that much, but some people's view's regarding what age you have to be to play 'kiddy games' is actually rather shocking

EDIT: I just remembered in April last year when I bought Little King's Story for the Wii, the staff's strange look at me in GAME when I purchased the game which they considered 'Kiddy' for a 16 year old male

LordTheNightKnight said:
Pineapple said:

I am. I have absolutely no idea why, but I'm ashamed of playing Nintendo games.

I went to the store  to buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday. To my own horror, I realised that I felt like I shouldn't be buying the game. As if I was playing something that's really meant for children, not people my age.

This kind of lead to me realising that feeling guilty about buying Nintendo games is a recurring event for me. I've somehow ended up subconciously believing that Nintendo games are "kiddy", or however you prefer to word it.

I talked to some other people about it, and it turns out that there are quite a few people who feel that Nintendo games just aren't for them. They love the games, but sort of feel that as males 18-30, they shouldn't.

Have you ever fallen into that "trap", being ashamed/unwilling to tell others that you play Nintendo games?

I'm ashamed you let yourself get caught up in the "I have to prove my masculinity by never doing anything that doesn't look macho" hysteria.

All you're proven is how immature you and all those other people actually are.

Yes... That's kind of my point. How on earth are so many of you reading this as me claiming that you should be ashamed of playing Nintendo games? I'm saying that we incorrectly do.

It's not an attack at Nintendo in any way. I truly can't see how you read it to be that.

No.

But everyone else in my age group thinks I should be. They all own Xbox 360s or PS3s. All their parents own Wiis.

Actually that explains the 2:1:1 ratio of consoles sold.