By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible For GT5 To OutSell Halo Reach Lifetime?...I Think So!

Michael-5 said:

So Many things wrong here.

4. Forza Motorsport 2 on a weekly baisis outsold Gran Turismo 3, at least in 2009. I didn't really keep up with sales 35 weeks after launch, but I may look it up after this. Forza is a serious compeditor, stop turning it down, it's much more GT has ever dealth with in the past.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
yo_john117 said:
BMaker11 said:

I think someone should get banned if they say GT5 won't sell as much as its predecessors because the PS2 doesn't have the same install base.

Explain MGS4 vs MGS3? MGS3 on a 100M userbase vs. what? 10M? 12M PS3 when MGS4 came out?

What possible spin can you put on that to cater to your argument that since the userbase isn't as high, there's no way that GT5 can perform as predicted? 

It's such a weak statement that it just *catch this* doesn't contribute to the thread. Which is apparently ban worthy

#sneers

I mean, dude wanted to bring in attach rates and what not to prove his side. Well look at it like this. GT 2001 Tokyo Concept and GT4: Prologue both sold like 1.5M. GT5P sold 3.75, according to VGC, and that doesn't even include digital downloads. No GT game has sold under 9M, and this could very well be the most anticipated one so far (judging by Concept --> GT3, GT4P --> GT4). And you all want to say that Reach is just gonna be some juggernaut and GT5 is nothing? 

You all better hope that Reach gets the same marketing treatment that Halo 3 got. I mean, cause think about it. People play Halo for the multiplayer. ODSTs multiplayer was just as good as Halo 3s yet it sold so much less, and I'd chuck that up to marketing. So here's hoping to some Reach Mountain Dew

Wanting people to get banned for saying that is just purely stupid.

And ODST's multiplayer WAS Halo 3's multiplayer....THE EXACT SAME THING.

I realize I was wrong with the multiplayer. I just played online with a friend one time on Firefight mode and found it very fun and thought there was more to it than that.

But the thing about banning for saying something like that.....that was a shot at the mods, because I got banned for saying "not reserved" in a thread, and because it "didn't contribute to the thread" I was banned, hence the *catch this*.

Yet this notion of "PS3 isn't as popular as PS2, so GT5 won't outsell Halo" is just as much of a non-contribution, because #1, the highest selling GT was released when the PS2 had LESS units sold than what the PS3 has now, so that completely destroys this argument. Along with a first GT of the gen always selling extremely high, and better than the sequel. It's just a bogus statement that does nothing but incite page long responses proving it wrong completely, yet it's been repeated SO many times in this thread. It doesn't further discussion if every 6 -7 posts, someone says "GT5 won't do what we're predicting because PS3 hasn't sold 130M consoles, but PS2 has", when the argument in terms of sales for the series has proven the opposite side of the argument. Not furthering discussion -> not contributing to thread -> ban if the mods want to stay consistent in their reasons for banning people.

But at the end of the day, that part of the post was just a joke ;)

One factor you have to realize is that Racing games like Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, and yes even Mario Kart sell very differently from mass market FPS like Modern Warfare and Halo Reach.

Example, Modern Warfare 2 sold 5 million units on the 360 alone in week one. Almost half it's current sales happened in week 1! Gran Turismo 3 sold 400,000 units in it's first 2 weeks. It took the game a year and a half to sell 9 million copies and about 4 years to reach it's 14.5 million mark. Mass market racing games appeal to a broad audience, so their sales start slow, but remain consistant and gorw over time. I mentioned this before if you read my massive posts.

So yes GT3 did release when the console was fresh, but it got it's first 9 million sales when the console had 35 million units in homes (similar to PS3 now), and by the time it accumulated to over 14 million sales, the console had over 100 million units on shelves. Then GT4 came along,and it's sales were only "cut off," by the release of the X-Box 360, Wii, and PS3.

As for GT1, it didn't sell that much more then GT2 or 4, only GT3 is in a seperate league.

So it's still an important factor, that PS2 was a lot more popular then PS3. When the PS2 quite literally has complete dominance over the video game industry, and Gran Turismo 3 is the consoles flagship simulator, it becomes THE racing game, and just appeals to new console owners. This allows the sales of the game to properly accumulate. Compre this to the PS3, and well it's just obvious that GT5 will not sell as well as prior GT games. Playstation no longer has the market share it once did.

Think about it Sony had 75% of the console market share during the PS2 era, now it has 23.8% of the console Market share. Playstation is no longer THE video game system, and Gran Turismo 5 now has to compete to be THE racing game. No longer is Gran Turismo the best selling racing game, Mario Kart is. No longer is Gran Turismo the only 9 /10 rated Simulation racing games. There is Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing, Need for Speed, and many others.

Also I remember back a year after GT4 came out, that brand new people were selling Gran Turismo 3 for $2. This was 2006. GT5 will never sell for $2 :P

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Gran Turismo 3 sold 400,000 units in it's first 2 weeks.

This Michael is on roll ROFLMAO. Where u get all this stuff?

1.gt3 sold a lot more than 400k in 2 weeks. Only in us it was over 1 million.

2.forza 2 vs gt3 in 2009? Are u for real?

3.Forza 2 DID NOT sold more than prologue. OFFICIAL report says prologue is close to 5 millions, about 4.8.

4.THERE IS NO CHANCE forza 3 ll end on 7 millions.

5.COD is much bigger franchise now than it was in 2007. So reach ll have much bigger competition in black ops than halo 3 had with cod4. Common sense dude.

Its that easy.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Recon1O1 said:

No.  The userbase is smaller,  Others would be GT5s best market and it is not coming out of the recession  as quickly. Racing sims aren't as big as they were back in the GT3 days if other franchises are an indicator.  The dropoff in sales for GT4 may be related to the PS3 launch somehow or it might have been the start of a trend.  

I think my 10.5m guess for GT5 LT will prove optimistic while 12.5 for Reach is conservative.  Why would it sell less than H3 again?  I don't follow the logic.  There will be roughly 17 million more potential buyers for what could be Bungie's last hurrah.   

PS3 fans are quick to quote previous sales to back up their guesswork but for a Halo title sales mean just the opposite.   If you honestly think ODST or HWars have burned out the franchise or it's fans you are in for a surprise. 

the 17m more potential buyers don't want HALO as they would have bought it the first time.

HALO's hardcore base is around 5-6m,other just hoped because of the hype and COOLNESS and slowly it reached 10m with HALO REACH

a little more time and sales following and you will learn that userbase doesn't always matter

why did most SAN ANDREAS not bought by 100m users PS2 has at its release time because all people don't buy the game

ODST and HALO wars didn't buned out the franchise but it didn't do any good too.

also HALO 3 didn't have much competition near its release and the fact that it was the first HALO this GENERATION increased the hype surrounding it

GT has always been a bigger franchise and it will prove this time too

why do you think GT3 with a much smaller fanbase still did so well

Xbox 1 had less than a 1/5 of PS2 userbase, still Halo 2 did almost as well as all GT. Also it came in 2004, xbox 360 came in 2005. Still sold 9 million... Halo 3 had CoD 4 comming 2 month after it was out. Still to this date its the best sold 360 game and Halo ODST took alot of new buyers. Halo Reach will be the best sold Halo to date, its pretty much a fact at this point. GT5 will do well, but i really doubt it will sell better than GT3 (or GT4 for that matter). Halo has the highest attach ratio in the industry except for Wii sports which is forced on you.

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
Michael-5 said:
ElGranCabeza said:
Michael-5 said:

To Solid_Snake4RD

Yes the Halo Franchise is growing in popularity, and there is no indication that it is “stabilizing.” Halo has sold 2-3 million more units per main franchise game, abd the X-Box consoles have become more and more popular over time. 4 years into this generation, and the 360 is still holding second.

Halo 3 sold 8.1 million copies when the 360 only had 17.7 million units available to play on. Now the 360 has over 40 million units, and that number will easily be above 45 million by the end of the year. How can you still believe that Halo Reach will not outsell Halo 3? It’s obvious that it will. Halo 3 was a 9.5 title, if 85% of Halo 3 owners get Reach and 10% of  the last 22 ( 5 for the rest of the year) million 360 owners get Reach, it will outsell Halo 3.

Halo Reach could sell up to 25 million units potentially, do you not understand how popular this franchise has gotten? The X-Box 360 has twice the install base it had during the launch of any prior Halo title, that means it could double any prior Halo games.

You can’t just make a response saying my post is flawed, it has so many weaknesses, and make an extremely arrogant and weak response like this.

GT outselling Halo is your opinion, and you have no evidence to support your claims.

Yes GT3 sold on PS2 before it sold 136 million units, However that very first year it released the game sold about 1.5 million copies (less then Forza 3 look it up!), and PS2 had 20 million units out by then. That still hold the same attach rate as if I gave the game 4 years to accumulate sales. 15 million on a console with 100 million is 15%, 1.5 million on a console with 20 million is 7.5%. Either way it’s much much less then the 25-35% Halo games get, and if I apply that logic, Halo 3 gets an attach rate of 45% and Halo 1 is over 80% since it was a launch title.

Your response is just ignorant. Don’t waste my time, do some research.

To Hynad: (Regarding the point of these long posts)

After I wrote my massive post, I was thinking, why did I bother with that? I came to the conclusion that I really get annoyed by arrogant people. It’s not really about the sales for me, but I’m surprised at some of the Halo numbers I got (soooo high!). I’m just annoyed that some people believe without a doubt that GT5 will be that one super high selling PS3 exclusive franchise. It won’t! PS3 is selling well now because of the huge PS3 slim/price cut they announced last year, but I don’t think that momentum is going to last. This site is mostly composed of PS3 fanboys, and fangirls, and just the stupidity of some of their comments, without any evidence to back it up astounds me.

If you look at my profile I have made like 10 posts before here, and after this I do not intend to make any more. I’ll let dumb people be dumb, and wait for the numbers to compound, and summarize all the data on my Game Trailers account (Same name). I’ve been keeping up with sales data for 3 years now, so I think I understand this stuff more then most people.

To Solid_Snake4RD (Regarding Competition)

The same year Halo 3 was released Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, The Orange Box, and Uncharted, three of the best shooters this generation were released.

This fall Halo Reach as to compete with Call of Duty: Black Ops, and Medal of Honour. Much less competition there buddy.

Gran Turismo 3 only had to compete against Midnight Club.

Gran Turismo 5 has to compete against Forza, Test Drive, Need for Speed, Burnout, Blur, Race Pro, Split/Second, Project Gotham Racing, etc. Remember GT games have accumulating sales, so anything that launches next year is competition.

So this whole competition argument favours Halo. Halo has less competition, and Gran Turismo has more. Just more reason to believe Halo Reach will sell 15-20 million.

To Hynad: (Regarding your response)

I’m not saying I’m right, I could be very very wrong, but almost all evidence I see in this thread supports Halo Reach drastically outselling Gran Turismo 5 sales. I’m asking people to debate this, but biased on the evidence people give in their responses, I don’t think anyone has a good reason to think otherwise. Most people just say, GT5 will outsell Halo because GT 5 is a bigger franchise, or some other silly reason, and I show that no GT is not a bigger franchise, only 1 in 10 console owners pick up a GT game where Halo gets a lot more sales.

Like I said boilmaker and hyruken, only intelligent responses, and because of boilmakers response, I am going to make another comment saying my direct opinion (which I haven’t expressed yet)

Seriously, I ask you guys to debate this. I only called some people fanboys because I haven’t heard anybody here make a silly comment saying “Halo will outsell GT5 because it’s a better game” or something silly like that. Most of the Halo comments seem supported, but the GT arguments lack foundation.

I’ll stop using the term fanboys, I was just getting annoyed at the arrogance of some of the comments.

To rossoner (Regarding Halo Reach Pre-orders)

Halo Reach has less americas pre-orders then Halo 3, but the game isn’t due for an additional 3 months. Halo 3 only had a little over 1 million pre-orders, and at this rate Halo Reach will likely double Halo 3 pre-orders.

To hyruken: (Regarding PS2 year one sales)

I remember the PS2 was like $500 for the first few months, and I got mine for $300 about 6 months after launch. Good point, it’s silly how people come after you for a mis-understanding and not me. Are my points accepted then? Does everyone agree with me that Reach will outsell GT5?

Now I’m just being an ass, good comment Hyruken.

To jarrod: (Regarding Bundles)

Nintendo bundled Wii Sports to show the innovation of that console. It severaly helped increase sales, but overall does not cost the same as other full priced games to develop. Wii would probably only of had a $20-30 price difference without the bundle.

As for GT5, they should bundle it with a Slim PS3. MGS4 is the best selling exclusive PS3, and it was launched bundled. I remember specifically because the MGS4 edition PS3 was the last backward compatible PS3, and my friend picked it up.

A bundled GT5 will defiantly boost sales, but I disagree with you on your original post. I think Reach will outsell GT5 regardless. Past GT games were bundled too (like GT3 and GT4), so I still think 8 million for GT5.

Good comment

To cOrd (Regarding attach rates)

First of all this comment look intelligent, so thanks for posting. You gave a world wide attach rate of Gran Turismo 3 as 25%, so I will accept that. However compare GT3 to Halo 3. 8.1 million units on a console with 17.7 million units by the end of 2007. That’s a 45.8% attach rate, almost double Gran Turismo’s :P

As for Gran Turismo gaining popularity, good point, but GT4 sold only 2/3rds as well as GT3, where GT2 only sold about one and a half million less then GT1. A significantly bigger drop, so we can’t assume Gran Turismo is becoming more popular. Halo on the other hand has seen a steady increase in sale, not only of the games, but the comic books too. It’s very likely for Reach sales to surpass 14 million (following the trend halo games have had), but it could do even better since the install base is twice as large as it has ever been before.

As for competition, both Halos had a Call of Duty to compete with, Halo 3 had Modern Warfare, Reach has Black Ops. The fact remains that infinity ward Call of Duty games not only sell better, but get better reviews, and until Modern Warfare, Call of Duty was a 1.5 million copy game. Modern Warfare was a much stronger competition then Black Ops was. Halo 3 also had The Orange Box too.

Gran Turismo 4 had to compete with Forza 1, but due to the X-Box’s lack of popularity that’s not really that much competition, and GT4 still suffered sales wise. Forza 3 is the most highly rated racing game this generation, it’s more competition Gran Turismo ever had to deal with.

Thanks for the comments people

Holy shit, I don't mean to offend you because you obviously put a lot of thought into your replies, but people are not gonna read your posts if all of them are that big. Just saying.

I know..... Sad because I made A LOT of good points. At least after I made them people shut up...

Still

Maybe people didn't reply because they didn't read your points? I know I didn't. I know you're passionate about this and it shows, but you gotta think about the other people man lol

HEHE thats what i did

that SMALL FONT and the long text

MAN O MAN

mangoman10 said:

maybe COD BO will be outselling both on X360 and PS3 respectively.

CoD MW2 is the highest selling game of X360(in few months it will outsell Halo3) and

PS3..[(CoD MW2 sales)>(god of war3 killzone 2 uncharted 3)sales]

Black ops is exclusive to 360 this year. Was announced at E3.

selnor said:
mangoman10 said:

maybe COD BO will be outselling both on X360 and PS3 respectively.

CoD MW2 is the highest selling game of X360(in few months it will outsell Halo3) and

PS3..[(CoD MW2 sales)>(god of war3 killzone 2 uncharted 3)sales]

Black ops is exclusive to 360 this year. Was announced at E3.

only DLC and map packs like MW2

mundus6 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Recon1O1 said:

No.  The userbase is smaller,  Others would be GT5s best market and it is not coming out of the recession  as quickly. Racing sims aren't as big as they were back in the GT3 days if other franchises are an indicator.  The dropoff in sales for GT4 may be related to the PS3 launch somehow or it might have been the start of a trend.  

I think my 10.5m guess for GT5 LT will prove optimistic while 12.5 for Reach is conservative.  Why would it sell less than H3 again?  I don't follow the logic.  There will be roughly 17 million more potential buyers for what could be Bungie's last hurrah.   

PS3 fans are quick to quote previous sales to back up their guesswork but for a Halo title sales mean just the opposite.   If you honestly think ODST or HWars have burned out the franchise or it's fans you are in for a surprise. 

the 17m more potential buyers don't want HALO as they would have bought it the first time.

HALO's hardcore base is around 5-6m,other just hoped because of the hype and COOLNESS and slowly it reached 10m with HALO REACH

a little more time and sales following and you will learn that userbase doesn't always matter

why did most SAN ANDREAS not bought by 100m users PS2 has at its release time because all people don't buy the game

ODST and HALO wars didn't buned out the franchise but it didn't do any good too.

also HALO 3 didn't have much competition near its release and the fact that it was the first HALO this GENERATION increased the hype surrounding it

GT has always been a bigger franchise and it will prove this time too

why do you think GT3 with a much smaller fanbase still did so well

Xbox 1 had less than a 1/5 of PS2 userbase, still Halo 2 did almost as well as all GT. Also it came in 2004, xbox 360 came in 2005. Still sold 9 million... Halo 3 had CoD 4 comming 2 month after it was out. Still to this date its the best sold 360 game and Halo ODST took alot of new buyers. Halo Reach will be the best sold Halo to date, its pretty much a fact at this point. GT5 will do well, but i really doubt it will sell better than GT3 (or GT4 for that matter). Halo has the highest attach ratio in the industry except for Wii sports which is forced on you.

NOT IT DIDN'T DO AS WELL AS ALL gt's.only 2-3m less than the average........lol

HALO ODST took alot of new buyers - why cause it sold low and we have no proof of this

HALO doesn't have the highest attach ratio,its just that XBOX console have sold less

Solid_Snake4RD, maybe a little research on the meaning of "attach ratio" would do you good.