By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is living in the past

infamous23 said:

Well, when you look in other artistic works, I'm sure more films in the past twenty years that have received Oscars for Best Picture have been R rated rather than G rated.  And Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns isn't considered to be one of the greatest graphic novels of all time because it kept the Adam West Batman level of maturity going for a whole new generation in the eighties.  The truth is that the more mature a work is, then the more emotions it is able to contain thus broadening its ability to be artistic.

I liked Earthbound.  Haven't played Mother 3.  I considered Earthbound the closest thing to a Robert Anton Wilson novel like Illuminatus! at the time I played it, but Nintendo refused to give us in the US an Earthbound Collection or Mother 3 in later years, and it seems they would rather spend money on titles like Mario Sports Jam or another Wii series game than trying to convince the creator of the Mother series to make a new game in it.

And the odds are that if he did, it wouldn't see the light of day outside of Japan in any form until a fan translation was done.

LOL Iwata funded Mother 3 with his own money, which was originally Earthbound 64 and was going to hit the states but HAL labs didn't feel like their 3D work was up to snuff for the quality of the series so they scrapped the project.  Mother 3 however released in Japan in 2006 2 years into the DS' lifespan on the GBA platform.  Factor in localization it would have been 2007 by the time the game hit the states and likely dead on arrival.  But the good thing is the fan translation is more true to the original text than your typical localization would be.

It's not so much the Mother series won't be brought here rather the timing and how slow Itoi seems to work always has his games coming out very late in the generation.

And that's funny Illuminatus... yeah it's nothing like that but do tell me how you feel it is?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Not sure how to respond to this thread.  I guess I am living too much in the past.  Thanks amp for the joke thread that turned into serious discussion.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
infamous23 said:

Well, when you look in other artistic works, I'm sure more films in the past twenty years that have received Oscars for Best Picture have been R rated rather than G rated.  And Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns isn't considered to be one of the greatest graphic novels of all time because it kept the Adam West Batman level of maturity going for a whole new generation in the eighties.  The truth is that the more mature a work is, then the more emotions it is able to contain thus broadening its ability to be artistic.

I liked Earthbound.  Haven't played Mother 3.  I considered Earthbound the closest thing to a Robert Anton Wilson novel like Illuminatus! at the time I played it, but Nintendo refused to give us in the US an Earthbound Collection or Mother 3 in later years, and it seems they would rather spend money on titles like Mario Sports Jam or another Wii series game than trying to convince the creator of the Mother series to make a new game in it.

And the odds are that if he did, it wouldn't see the light of day outside of Japan in any form until a fan translation was done.

LOL Iwata funded Mother 3 with his own money, which was originally Earthbound 64 and was going to hit the states but HAL labs didn't feel like their 3D work was up to snuff for the quality of the series so they scrapped the project.  Mother 3 however released in Japan in 2006 2 years into the DS' lifespan on the GBA platform.  Factor in localization it would have been 2007 by the time the game hit the states and likely dead on arrival.  But the good thing is the fan translation is more true to the original text than your typical localization would be.

It's not so much the Mother series won't be brought here rather the timing and how slow Itoi seems to work always has his games coming out very late in the generation.

And that's funny Illuminatus... yeah it's nothing like that but do tell me how you feel it is?

Well, it's been awhile since I played Earthbound or read Illuminatus!  But,Earthbound had cultists and the whole ufo mythology in there plus it had an America in the fifties vibe to it.  Kind of like Destroy All Humans, but the various submythologies and references to arcane matters reminded me more of Illuinatus!

I liked the look of the dark town on snes and the island with the critters with the big noses.  I forget what they were called.

The GBA wasn't totally dead in 2007 because Final Fantasy VI was on there that year and still they could have made an Earthbound Collection for DS which probably would have sold as well as some of the other games when the retro rpg on DS movement was going on around 2008 to 2009.

infamous23 said:

I liked Earthbound.  Haven't played Mother 3.  I considered Earthbound the closest thing to a Robert Anton Wilson novel like Illuminatus! at the time I played it, but Nintendo refused to give us in the US an Earthbound Collection or Mother 3 in later years, and it seems they would rather spend money on titles like Mario Sports Mix or another Wii series game than trying to convince the creator of the Mother series to make a new game in it.

And if you look at works considered to be top form decades later you will find a shocking lack of connection to R ratings. Mature themes don't need excessive violence, sex, or even cursing. Artistic vision has nothing to do with R/M ratings. Look at the range of emotions and themes in films like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, Edward Scissor Hands, or any other amazingly timeless classics.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
infamous23 said:

I liked Earthbound.  Haven't played Mother 3.  I considered Earthbound the closest thing to a Robert Anton Wilson novel like Illuminatus! at the time I played it, but Nintendo refused to give us in the US an Earthbound Collection or Mother 3 in later years, and it seems they would rather spend money on titles like Mario Sports Mix or another Wii series game than trying to convince the creator of the Mother series to make a new game in it.

And if you look at works considered to be top form decades later you will find a shocking lack of connection to R ratings. Mature themes don't need excessive violence, sex, or even cursing. Artistic vision has nothing to do with R/M ratings. Look at the range of emotions and themes in films like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, The Wizard of Oz, Edward Scissor Hands, or any other amazingly timeless classics.

Ugh... Citizen Kane is horrible.  I don't know why so many old people love that movie and think it is classic.  That movie is pure crap.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Ugh... Citizen Kane is horrible.  I don't know why so many old people love that movie and think it is classic.  That movie is pure crap.

Citizen Kane is one of the worst movies, and best films you can ever see. I have hated it every time I have watched it. I also think everything Picasso ever painted is ugly. I can still recognize, and appreciate the artistic merits though. When you look past what is done and see how it is done and then you will understand why it will be remembered as one of the best ever. Casablanca is the best example of entertainment and art crossing I can think of though.

Beyond that Citizen Kane is a movie you can only really appreciate once you are one of those old people. That is kind of the soul of the movie.

infamous23 said:

The GBA wasn't totally dead in 2007 because Final Fantasy VI was on there that year and still they could have made an Earthbound Collection for DS which probably would have sold as well as some of the other games when the retro rpg on DS movement was going on around 2008 to 2009.

Actually, they can't. The game is on extremely shakey legal ground in the US. It is very liberal with its copyright infringement by design, and this makes NoA's legal team nervous, and for good reason. Japan does not have nearly as strict of laws. As a result certain changes need to be made in order for the game to be able to be released in the retail market here. The creator flat out refuses to make, or allow those changes. As such the games will never be localized through the fault of the US legal system.

Gnizmo said:
infamous23 said:

Actually, they can't. The game is on extremely shakey legal ground in the US. It is very liberal with its copyright infringement by design, and this makes NoA's legal team nervous, and for good reason. Japan does not have nearly as strict of laws. As a result certain changes need to be made in order for the game to be able to be released in the retail market here. The creator flat out refuses to make, or allow those changes. As such the games will never be localized through the fault of the US legal system.

Not to mention all the pirating of the PSP that is commonplace in Japan. Piracy of media is worse in third world nations in Southeast Asia where in Bangkok, one can get on DVD what is out currently in theatres in the US. Then again, you have to go to a third world country to get it.

amp316 said:
Albion said:

Nintendo is living in the past because it has multi million fanbase from its past to sell stuff to. And gess what? that fanbase had sex!!! OMG and now they have kids!!!!!! holly crap!!!!. Yes Gamers from the 1980 had sex and had kids and now own a Wii. How freeken hard is that to understand???

I gess that is a perty big leap for any 36 year old vergin, to take ill admit.  

One day your going to have sex. and have kids and Sony or MS will make a system with a bunch of retro crap for you to buy and share with your offspring.

ok just wanted to say something a bit funny for my last post today. If you think its not funny im sorry.

Anyway have a good day everyone!

Cheers!!!

Yes.  People that gamed in the 80's had sex and their kids now have a Wii.  I don't understand your point, but I'll agree with this.

I know that the 36 year old virgin comment is directed at me so I will address it.  First off, I am actually 37.  For some reason I put in my correct birthday, but VGChartz makes me a year younger, not that I'm going to complain about it.  When you get a year, you don't question it and take it.  Secondly, I had an intense love making session with my lady last night.  As a matter of fact, she's posted in this thread.  Let's see if you can figure out she is and if you do, ask her if I'm telling the truth. 

I wasn't here yesterday because I was celebrating Father's Day with my dad and then hung out over at my lady's place for a while.  I was living in the past and then living in the moment.

Cheers!!!    

Hehehe.

1st

See you still dont understand.  Its not the kids that have the Wii its the parents.Its not the kids that bothered the parents to get a Wii. Its the Parents that want there kids to have as much fun as they had with there NES in the Past.

2nd

Having kids is the biggest life changing moments.  The day you have kids everything you know just took a huge hit. There are millions of things that changes in your life from that moment on. 

One of them is you start seeing life as 2-3-4 diffrent stages. you see you kids growing and it reminds you of your past. You see yourself in them. you remember when you were a kid.  You remember all the great fun you had playing Nintendo, and you want to give that experience to your kids.

That explaines why Nintendo Wii's marketing stratagie is what it is.  To you they are living in the past.  To Parents its spending quality time with there kids and having a tone of fun with them.

Thumb up

infamous23 said:
Viper1 said:
infamous23 said:

Is there even one M game coming to Wii this year?

This question displays a combination of ignorance of the game catalog and narrow minded concept of what a "video game" must be to be considered valid.

A video game is quite a broad thing.  And just becuase something doesn't innovate in a niche segment doesn't mean it's not innovative on the whole.

So, I guess no M games have been announced for Wii this year?

I was right.  You show complete ignorance of the console's catalog.

I'm not doing your homework for you.  Go get eduucated about what youare debating on, then come back.

The rEVOLution is not being televised