By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - E3 Undercover: Twisted Metal Private Demo

My favorite was always Specter...

This game is shaping up to be pretty awesome! Day 1 buy. I do hope, however, that the storyline is as dark/creepy and fucked up as Twisted Metal Black...That was what made Twisted Metal Black one of the best games I played on the Ps2.

P.S The graphics does look like ass, but I don't care as long as the gameplay makes me forget about that. Plus, the whole world looks destructible so it kinda redeemed itself.

Around the Network
TomasPL said:

doesn't change the fact that game looks like ass compared to most racing games released on HD platforms and given this supposedly 2.5 year development time it looks very bad especially if you look at other titles that were shown at E3 and that will be released in 2011. i'm sorry, but Burnout Revenge which was just updated xbox game still looks miles better.

openworld aspect doesn't change anything. it looks like it was very early in development.

Yes but this isn't a racing game, its a vehicular combat game. While you're at it, go complain that inFAMOUS doesn't look as good as Killzone 2, because that's basically what you're doing, comparing two games from two different genres.

TomasPL said:

doesn't change the fact that game looks like ass compared to most racing games released on HD platforms and given this supposedly 2.5 year development time it looks very bad especially if you look at other titles that were shown at E3 and that will be released in 2011. i'm sorry, but Burnout Revenge which was just updated xbox game still looks miles better.

openworld aspect doesn't change anything. it looks like it was very early in development.

Again, your comparing it to racing games. This isn't racer... Racers don't have the amount of effects this game will have to contain when you look at the fact that there's extremely fancy weapons, tons of destructions, also if you're in a helicopter you see 15 vehicles below fuckin' each other up and destroying an entire city. Burnout maybe an open world racer where you smash cars but it's not a car combat game. You're not using overpowered weapons, high explosives, destroying building [and driving in and through those buildings], seeing animations of the people in the vehicles and on the street [there aren't even people in burnout all together, actually]. Also, burnout is just one City while this video confirms there will be 8-10 different maps WITH variations in the full game. 

Considering all of this, streaming visuals to make a better looking game would be a much tougher job in Burnout compared to Twisted Metal...

AND IT'S NOT A RACER! 

4 ≈ One

it's not in development for 18 months. it's been in the works since early 2008 or even late 2007 since on Twisted Metal: Hand On there's official info about the game from Jaffe.

so i can't compare it to racing games because here we have guns and i can't compare it to other openworld games cause it's a car combat game? interesting. version shown at E3 was butt ass ugly no matter how you look at it. it's not an excuse that this is first car combat game since Full Auto 2 on consoles for the poor quality of the game they showed that is that far in development. i would be ok if they showed trailer of the game and nothing else, but they allowed everyone to play it. in every video of the game i saw there were glitches, chopped animations(some things didn't have any animation at all), saw cars and rockets running through walls and graphics was almost exactly like Saints Row and that game was noted for bad graphics already on its launch.

don't make excuses beause it's open world when you don't know how big the maps nor how they will handle destruction cause from what we've seen it looks exactly like in EDF2017 but without all those huge explosions that game had. Crackdown 2 have tons of explosions hundreds of characters on screen and still looks better so far(same goes to Just Cause 2). not to mention the maps they showed weren't that much bigger that what we've seen in games like Battlefield. the only big level was one for the Nuke Mode and it still was about the size of single GTA3 island.

i know this will be reported again because some sony fan will be butthurt that someone is criticizing ps3 game, but that's the truth. 

TomasPL said:

it's not in development for 18 months. it's been in the works since early 2008 or even late 2007 since on Twisted Metal: Hand On there's official info about the game from Jaffe.

so i can't compare it to racing games because here we have guns and i can't compare it to other openworld games cause it's a car combat game? interesting. version shown at E3 was butt ass ugly no matter how you look at it. it's not an excuse that this is first car combat game since Full Auto 2 on consoles for the poor quality of the game they showed that is that far in development. i would be ok if they showed trailer of the game and nothing else, but they allowed everyone to play it. in every video of the game i saw there were glitches, chopped animations(some things didn't have any animation at all), saw cars and rockets running through walls and graphics was almost exactly like Saints Row and that game was noted for bad graphics already on its launch.

don't make excuses beause it's open world when you don't know how big the maps nor how they will handle destruction cause from what we've seen it looks exactly like in EDF2017 but without all those huge explosions that game had. Crackdown 2 have tons of explosions hundreds of characters on screen and still looks better so far(same goes to Just Cause 2). not to mention the maps they showed weren't that much bigger that what we've seen in games like Battlefield. the only big level was one for the Nuke Mode and it still was about the size of single GTA3 island.

i know this will be reported again because some sony fan will be butthurt that someone is criticizing ps3 game, but that's the truth.

You know what the problem is? You keep comparing a game that has no other game to compare it to

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
TomasPL said:

There is a significant difference from going from paper / concepts / ideas / etc  to translating it into a game.  Surely you realize this.  In terms of physical development, I would place this game far closer to 18 months.

"so i can't compare it to racing games because here we have guns and i can't compare it to other openworld games cause it's a car combat game? interesting. version shown at E3 was butt ass ugly no matter how you look at it. it's not an excuse that this is first car combat game since Full Auto 2 on consoles for the poor quality of the game they showed that is that far in development."

You can't compare it to racing games because racing games generally speaking have fairly passive, restricted stages. Surely you realize that Gran Turismo 5 only looks as pretty as it does because they make some sacrifices in everything outside of the racing perimeter.  If you expected,  Grand Theft Auto 4 to have Gran Turismo 5 graphics on a PS3 / 360 most people would say you are pretty crazy. 

And it doesn't compare to most 'Open world' games because it has a lot more going on than just an open world.  The open world is just the start.  Then you have a ridiculous amount of vehicles in one game, explosions, destructive environments, layers of battles going on (from the ground all the way to the top of the skyskraper).   Beyond this, you also will have good gameplay.  4 Player Split-Screen. And 16 players per game online in a smooth manner.

"i would be ok if they showed trailer of the game and nothing else, but they allowed everyone to play it. in every video of the game i saw there were glitches, chopped animations(some things didn't have any animation at all), saw cars and rockets running through walls and graphics was almost exactly like Saints Row and that game was noted for bad graphics already on its launch."

So a game that is not set to be released until 2011 and is currently in the 'Pre-Alpha' phase has things that need worked on?  And better animations?  No offense...but no shit sherlock?  That's why it's not a 2010 title.  

As for Pre-Alpha? If you are familiar with this game.. Here is a video of Everquest in it's pre-alpha phase :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae-1KuAvMY 

Notice how horrible the animations are?  How bland everything is? Not nearly as crisp as the actual game turned out to be. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9acBvPaFw&feature=related

Going into this, you should realize that Twisted Metal has never, will never be about the graphics.  It's going to be about gameplay and multi-player fun. 

"don't make excuses beause it's open world when you don't know how big the maps nor how they will handle destruction cause from what we've seen it looks exactly like in EDF2017 but without all those huge explosions that game had. "

Likewise, you have no idea how big it's world is, how big it's maps are, or how they handle destruction.  You don't think a Twisted Metal game will have huge explosions as well?   And again just to re-iterate. Twisted Metal has never been designed/marketed or even sold as a mainstream game.  It's been a game that has a definite fanbase however and is based all around multi-player / gameplay. 

"Crackdown 2 have tons of explosions hundreds of characters on screen and still looks better so far(same goes to Just Cause 2). not to mention the maps they showed weren't that much bigger that what we've seen in games like Battlefield. the only big level was one for the Nuke Mode and it still was about the size of single GTA3 island."

http://www.spike.com/video/crackdown-2/3305905

Yeah, Crackdown looks hands down better.  Give me a break.

"i know this will be reported again because some sony fan will be butthurt that someone is criticizing ps3 game, but that's the truth. "

The thing about it is, you clearly haven't played a Twisted Metal or have any clue as to what it's looking to achieve.  Obviously, Sony fans would love to have the game with GT5 or Uncharted 2 graphics but I think most are realistic enough to realize that with a game like Twisted Metal that's never going to be a reality (Current Gen) and as a collective whole....We're okay with it.  

The game will be an absolute blast to play and will look better than the videos we have seen (Although not Uncharted 2 good).

TomasPL said:

Twisted Metal has never had the best graphics. It's 100% about the gameplay. I taken you haven't played any of the older titles. I think it looks good for what type of game it is. You also have to understand that there still working on the game. I don't expect Twisted Metal to be the graphics king at all,but the series is'nt about that. As long as it looks good enough to serve it's purpose.

Cactus said:
TomasPL said:

First of all, David Jaffe recently stated that this game has been in development for ~18 months, so get your facts straight. Second of all, the visuals are fine for a game with such massive environments. Visuals were never what this series was about, anyway, so your complaints are falling on deaf ears. They chose gameplay over graphics and I'm totally fine with that. I personally think it looks great.

18months. They still got a ways to go. First day purchase for me.

TomasPL said:

Someone asked Jaffe on Twitter how long the game had been in production for, and he answered 18 months. Who am I going to believe, a random message board user, or the co-director of the game?

The glitches will be taken care of. This game is more than 6 monts away from launch, and the ESP guys were taking user feedback concerning the gamplay and glitches. As for the graphics, they look perfectly fine. Relentlessly bashing this game for its graphics when everyone on the show floor were raving at how fun the game is shallow, as you obviously don't understand that the series was never about graphics.

Listen, this topic is about Twisted Metal first and Sony second. You don't like the graphics, and that's fine, but continuously attacking the game in a topic filled with fans who are looking forward to it is trolling, and you deserved to get reported.

TomasPL said:

Official info?? You mean a single Teaser picture?? Lol. Yea, huge media blow-out right there. Did you know that KZ3 development didn't start until AFTER that pre-rendered first trailer release? Dude, that single picture on Head On meant nothing other than "Twisted Metal is Coming to PS3".

Every game you tried to compare it to has very little going on compared to Twisted Metal, then you factor in 4 player splitscreen Online and the fact that it's a 60fps game with cars going way to fast for the developers to rely heavily on streaming like devs can in so many other games.

So far, I know we've seen atleast 2 maps because of Nuke Mode and the trailer, and I'd say they're definitely huge but how you're able to make a comparison to other games, I wanna know how you were able to see the entire map...

4 ≈ One