By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo waves the white flag at E3 2010

O-D-C said:

was this writer even at E3? Nintendo had swagger, the lines for Zelda and 3DS were hours long, Kirby had a 40 minute wait too. I kinda felt bad for Sony who was right beside the Nintendo booth and had to ask random people to come play Move game and they were look nah Im going to go see this (Nintendo). Nintendo won E3 hands on, other companies were asking me what i thought of Zelda or the 3DS , Nintendo's got its swagger back and won E3 and if anyone tells u otherwise their wrong.

Do you not see that the people impressed with Nintendo are the video game journalists and those that frequent video game forums i.e. the minority? Will the Wii appear on Good Morning America as a result of their conference?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Christian973 said:

Nintendo is always doomed with everything they do. Tell me something i don't know please.

In Austria there is a small village called Fucking.

This Austria? http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Austria

Warning NSFW!

Tease.

What a dumb ass article. He is clearly just trollin, can´t take that so seriously.

wii fc : 7188 5379 1382 7074
smash fc :2234 6924 8637

gamertag : Dano2688

Blatant troll is blatant.

Man, I want whatever drugs that guy is on. They're good.

Penny-Arcade summed it up pretty well, at least for Nintendo: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/6/16/

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Around the Network

Actually Sony and Microsoft should lower their heads to Nintendo and thank for their mercy.

The only thing that prevented the Wii from reigning supreme atop the seventh generation instead of just grabbing half of the pie like it did resides in the single fact that the Wii is not HD.

How would the PS3/360 fare against a Wii hosting titles like GTA IV, Bioshock, FF XIII, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc with similar graphics and the Wii remote to boot?

The HD duo have some damn good exclusives, but could do little to prevent the Wii from reaching a supremacy similar to the PS1/PS2 times or even bigger.

Fortunately for them The big N won't come with a Wii sucessor until having a well established 3DS and it shouldn´t happen untill the end of 2011 at least, giving some time for the PS Move and Kinect to shine, but it won't be long before the Eighth Generation begins and the Arms Race start all over again.

exukvera said:

Actually Sony and Microsoft should lower their heads to Nintendo and thank for their mercy.

The only thing that prevented the Wii from reigning supreme atop the seventh generation instead of just grabbing half of the pie like it did resides in the single fact that the Wii is not HD.

How would the PS3/360 fare against a Wii hosting titles like GTA IV, Bioshock, FF XIII, Fallout 3, Oblivion, etc with similar graphics and the Wii remote to boot?

The HD duo have some damn good exclusives, but could do little to prevent the Wii from reaching a supremacy similar to the PS1/PS2 times or even bigger.

Fortunately for them The big N won't come with a Wii sucessor until having a well established 3DS and it shouldn´t happen untill the end of 2011 at least, giving some time for the PS Move and Kinect to shine, but it won't be long before the Eighth Generation begins and the Arms Race start all over again.

What if scenario's are always a selective perspective - likewise you could say Nintendo is thanking Sony and MS for not releasing motion controls at the start of the generation.

Of course what will really cause Wii's donfall this gen has been their inability to attract the hardcore gamers.  You can talk about how they've sold more than PS3 or 360, but they've still failed to capture anyhere near as large of a percentage of gaming as PS2 did last gen.  And, they wouldn't be doing so well now if only one of the hd consoles existed and was getting all the top games like the PS2 did instead of having the core gamer market split between 360 and PS3. 

noname2200 said:

I found this article while looking for E3 news, impressions and analysis. It raises an interesting point...

Nintendo waves the white flag at E3 2010

Now that the dust has settled after each of the three console manufacturers held their press conference earlier this week, it’s a good time to look at what has and has not been announced and what this means for the future of the video games market. Many people seem to think that Nintendo had the best show and blew everyone away with the 3DS, but they are missing the bigger picture. During the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube generations Nintendo lived off of the proftis generated by its handheld line, the Gameboy. Portable gaming is very important to Nintendo because it allows them to still play with the big guys, Sony and Microsoft, in the home console space.

Naturally the PlayStation Portable poses a major threat to Nintendo’s core market. So far it sold approximately 60 million units and by doing that it wrestled away a big chunk of Nintendo’s market share that previously had been at an all time high during the Gameboy Advance era. With Nintendo’s dominance diminishing drastically in the portable gaming market, they had to react quickly and announce a successor to the DS. While the 3DS looks indeed promising, it’s only one side of the coin. On the flipside, the Wii is going to suffer due to Nintendo being forced to push their new handheld as hard as possible. Additionally, Microsoft and Sony are attempting to directly compete with the Wii now and Nintendo had nothing to show to combat that. They were waving the white flag at E3.

The Wii’s last hurrah, coming to a store near you in 2011.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the only major game shown that makes use of Wii Motion Plus and it wasn’t a pretty sight. A questionable art style for the graphics as well as, at least according to Nintendo, interferences that made the game look nearly unplayable were a big letdown for the Nintendo faithful who now might take another look at Sony’s Move and its games, particularly the innovative Sorcery. Or Kinect which garnered a mostly positive reception from the gaming enthusiast media. Even Shigeru Miyamoto was thoroughly impressed by Microsoft’s controller free gaming experience.

Facing such fierce competition from both, Sony and Microsoft, one would think that Nintendo would at least try to fight back, but yet another E3 has passed without an announcement of an HD enabled Wii coming in the near future. Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter explained why he continues to believe in Wii HD, but also why he thinks that Nintendo won’t launch it. “…So I always thought Nintendo would respond to Natal and PS3 plus Move by having Wii HD ready when those two things launched. I’ve been wrong consistently and the reason I’ve been wrong is Nintendo doesn’t see the world the way I do. So the answer to your question why do I think it? Because it’s logical. The answer to your question, why hasn’t Nintendo done it? Because they don’t think it’s logical.”

Nobody really knows what’s going on in the heads of the Nintendo executives, especially with games like this one being made:

Kirby: Epic Yarn is going to be a retail release…

This may be great for Nintendo fans, but certainly not for those gamers who don’t like Nintendo’s games. On a related note, the same holds true for the 3DS and titles like Kid Icarus. At least Nintendo this time tried to get third parties on board to get some of the more hardcore stuff like Metal Gear Solid, but honestly you can’t help but think how much better such games could be on a non-Nintendo platform. Anyways, while the 3DS seems to be good to go by the look of things, the Wii is pretty much done at this point. This year’s big holiday title Donkey Kong Country Returns is going to be yet another 2D platformer which looks like a desperate attempt on Nintendo’s part to milk the Wii audience as much as possible before those gamers are graduating to more fleshed out gaming experiences on other platforms.

Nintendo had a good run while it lasted. It greatly helped that they caught Sony and Microsoft by surprise with their Wii Remote controller and changed the gaming landscape, but all things have to come to an end eventually. Analyst Todd Greenwald expects Nintendo to lose market share in the near future. “I would say that Microsoft and Sony should get a pretty big boost over the next six months or so versus the Wii.”

Wow.. Sounds like this man is creaming his jeans at the mere THOUGHT of the HD consoles catching the Wii..

Too bad he will be dissapointed :(

Fumanchu said:
exukvera said:

What if scenario's are always a selective perspective - likewise you could say Nintendo is thanking Sony and MS for not releasing motion controls at the start of the generation.

They didn't because they couldn't or were too afraid of flopping or both. Not counting that an HD Wii would make Marios, Zeldas and Metroids even more attractive to Hardcore and Casual gamers alike.

If they are making a portable able to play MGS: Snake Eater or even SSF4 who knows what they have in store for the next home machine? The Arms Race countdown has already started.