By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation 3 responsible for delay of Portal 2!

mirgro said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mirgro said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mirgro said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mirgro said:

Oh boohoo, buy a PC. You can get one for $300 than can run Portal 2.

????????????????????????

i meant if u release it exclusive to one platform and then to the other the games popularity drops and then when it launches on other platforms the sales are lesser

I wasn't denying that fact at all. I was just saying why they bothered with ruining the game for the main platform.

cause consoles make more money most of the time

and he wasn't ruining but just delaying and it was never really officialy dated

Seeing how the orange box made more money on the PC than on the consoles, you seem to be wrong. Same with other PC oriented games.

YES but console sales made it possible to make more profit

like if MW2 was first released on 360,it would have made 12m sales but ACTIVISION would have not proftied much as they would have alone had to cover ADVERTISING  and development $200m and then PS3 version time late when the hype and everything died down wouldn't have made so much

and so PS3's sales are just profit when they launched together

Except that if the people with a PS3 bought the game on the PC instead of the PC early because it came out, then Valve still makes money off of them since they buy it anyhow. They would still get all the money from the people who didn't have it on the PC when it releases for the PS3. In one case, you make the PC people angry, more pissed off, and far more likely to pirate (in Vavle's own words, pirates are just people unhappy with the game service) ann in the other case the PC people are happy and the PS3 still get their port and Valve gets their money and everyone is satisfied.

P.S. This smells heavily of moneyhatting btw.

no they would pirate the game from beginning

Around the Network
mr_capello said:
mirgro said:

Except that if the people with a PS3 bought the game on the PC instead of the PC early because it came out, then Valve still makes money off of them since they buy it anyhow. They would still get all the money from the people who didn't have it on the PC when it releases for the PS3. In one case, you make the PC people angry, more pissed off, and far more likely to pirate (in Vavle's own words, pirates are just people unhappy with the game service) ann in the other case the PC people are happy and the PS3 still get their port and Valve gets their money and everyone is satisfied.

P.S. This smells heavily of moneyhatting btw.

no they would pirate the game from beginning

Im not gonna turn this thed into debate for piracy, but there is enough data and evidence out there to say that you are utterly wrong.

Vengeance with a bang?

theprof00 said:

rich, you seemed to have fulfilled your own prophecy about your bias thread.

Now, would you call yourself biased, or not? I don't think I would call you that. Maybe you shouldn't do the same for others.

PS3 is the lead platform. That means ps3 version is made first. PS3 version will be delayed due to translating it to other platforms.

I take ownership of my being biased.  I am biased.  I do also believe in giving credit where credit is due for things that are good (You will see myself praising a number of Playstation titles and being a fan of them).  In this, it depends on the context in which I write.  When it comes to recommending things, I don't have an agenda.  My interest is in the person getting what fits them.  However, when it comes to news like Valve going multiplatform, I will put my own spin on it.  I consider Valve going PS3 on par with Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform, in that it is kind of unexpected.  I figured I would tweak about Valve and so on, and then draw a line and see if the talk about Gabe being fat would be now done by XBox partisans.

Yes, you should call me biased, because I am.  To not do so, is not to be honest.

Trentonater said:

public sudoku? was that on purpose :- 

Of course.  Bonus points for figuring out where that came from.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

rich, you seemed to have fulfilled your own prophecy about your bias thread.

Now, would you call yourself biased, or not? I don't think I would call you that. Maybe you shouldn't do the same for others.

PS3 is the lead platform. That means ps3 version is made first. PS3 version will be delayed due to translating it to other platforms.

Stop saying nonsense. The PS3 is nowhere near the lead platform for Portal 2. It is being developed on PC first.

Hell, even the MAC version has more priority than the PS3 version, because the Valve will probably release Portal 2 as a PC/MAC compatible game on retail (both on the same DVD), and can be sold on Steam for a huge profit.

mirgro said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mirgro said:

You are making one false statement after another. There is no indication that console players have no consoles. In fact there is not a single person I can think of that games that doesn't have both of some form, nor heard of any.

Furthermore, even by your, faulty, assumption that means that delaying the game on the PC would have no effect for the sales since the PS3 players won't get it on the PC. Of course, they are lnot little whiny biased bitches and they decide to forgoe a good game cause of their own fanboyism.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT CONSOLE players don't on PC but most don't like to as PC gamers is a totally different bree

and how is that a false statement as i even mentioned before that even though people have powerful PC's to the play the game or not,CONSOLE gamers like to play on console

for me if a game release on PC,i wouldn't play it cause i just hate PC gaming.Not from the shit hate point of viewbut from the user experience just doesn't immerse me as it does on consoles

ROCK BAND delaying even one month made alot of differenc in its sales on other consoles.BIOSHOCK did too.ALOT of games do

whiny based bitches fanboyism?????????????????????????????????????????????

if you follow sales you would know that delay one platform for even a month would mean sales drop and developers don't want that

I meant gaming too. Whether someone has a Wii, 360, or PS3, they usually have a gaming PC as well to play games on the PC.

Anyhow, all that data does not show that there were any lost sales for the developers. It just shows that people who wanted to play RB or BS just went and got it on the other platform before it came out to the later ones.

As for the last part, anyone who forgoes a good game because it came out on their system a little later is a fanboy, biased, and a little bitch. I will stand by that stetement.

NO THEY DON'T

msot Wii guys don't have a gaming PC's and other PS3 and 360 hardcores mostly don't like to play on PC

no  it doesn't show that people who didn't get to play BIOSHOCK of ROCKBAND just bought a gaming PC or a 360

anyone who forgoes a game because tis on an other platform is not a fanboy or biased

you are totally wrong

you think that people will just spend  $100's on a system or a game forone game,most don't

and even if they have it many don't like to play on PC

as anyone used to console gaming really doesn't like PC gaming

you are just one of those people who says 'oh i like that game and because i play it on PC everybody else will' or 'i bought a system because game didn't come on mine and just because i did everybody else will"

not to mention that many people have economic restrictions too

Solid_Snake4RD said:
mirgro said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mirgro said:

You are making one false statement after another. There is no indication that console players have no consoles. In fact there is not a single person I can think of that games that doesn't have both of some form, nor heard of any.

Furthermore, even by your, faulty, assumption that means that delaying the game on the PC would have no effect for the sales since the PS3 players won't get it on the PC. Of course, they are lnot little whiny biased bitches and they decide to forgoe a good game cause of their own fanboyism.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT CONSOLE players don't on PC but most don't like to as PC gamers is a totally different bree

and how is that a false statement as i even mentioned before that even though people have powerful PC's to the play the game or not,CONSOLE gamers like to play on console

for me if a game release on PC,i wouldn't play it cause i just hate PC gaming.Not from the shit hate point of viewbut from the user experience just doesn't immerse me as it does on consoles

ROCK BAND delaying even one month made alot of differenc in its sales on other consoles.BIOSHOCK did too.ALOT of games do

whiny based bitches fanboyism?????????????????????????????????????????????

if you follow sales you would know that delay one platform for even a month would mean sales drop and developers don't want that

I meant gaming too. Whether someone has a Wii, 360, or PS3, they usually have a gaming PC as well to play games on the PC.

Anyhow, all that data does not show that there were any lost sales for the developers. It just shows that people who wanted to play RB or BS just went and got it on the other platform before it came out to the later ones.

As for the last part, anyone who forgoes a good game because it came out on their system a little later is a fanboy, biased, and a little bitch. I will stand by that stetement.

NO THEY DON'T

msot Wii guys don't have a gaming PC's and other PS3 and 360 hardcores mostly don't like to play on PC

no  it doesn't show that people who didn't get to play BIOSHOCK of ROCKBAND just bought a gaming PC or a 360

anyone who forgoes a game because tis on an other platform is not a fanboy or biased

you are totally wrong

you think that people will just spend  $100's on a system or a game forone game,most don't

and even if they have it many don't like to play on PC

as anyone used to console gaming really doesn't like PC gaming

you are just one of those people who says 'oh i like that game and because i play it on PC everybody else will' or 'i bought a system because game didn't come on mine and just because i did everybody else will"

not to mention that many people have economic restrictions too

ok im sorry to say but valve did a little test at the end of may before e3 with portal itself by releasing it for free to people with steam on pc's. i for one snatched it up cause i heard so many good things about it. you say people that like console games will play console games. yes you are right but if you have played a FPS on a pc and have been for years and to try on a console it just doesnt work out too well. console shooters for one are sluggish in turning and if you say no its not. try this face away from an enemy as they are going to knife you from teh back then as they hit yo uthe first time can you spin 180 degrees and shoot them to kil lthem before they hit you again with a knife?  on a pc you can do this. as for the main fan base for valve games are on the pc straight up and i dont mean a measily couple of million like FF brings in im talking close to 20 million plus playing valve games and that is at one time and on the pc. there are millions right now playing counterstrike source, team fortress 2, day of defeat source, portal, left 4 dead, left 4 dead 2.  now compare that to the maybe 5 million combined for the ps3 and 360 for the orange box. so to ignore the pc fan base by releaseing a ps3 version first will destroy the entire fanbase valve already has going for itself. 

oh wait i forgot something you say most people with wii's dont have a "gaming pc"? how do you figure that?  EVERYONE i know that owns a wii has a pretty powerful pc to play games on as well. So your saying EVERYONE that owns a ps3 or  a 360 owns a gaming pc as well? ummm i can bet you 1 billion dollars that is a false statement. as for one I own a wii and i built my pc myself which costs a whopping 500 dollars and has graphics better then the 360 and ps3 and guess what i can upgrade it to even better graphics for less then buying a whole new console. To say what you did would be like me saying everyone that owns a ps3 or a 360 doesnt have a gf or S.O. which i am starting to think that way about ps3 owners in general but 360 owners are different in fact. 360 owners i know do have lives outside just themselves but for all the ps3 owners i know NONE of them have anyone but themselves in their lives and are between the ages of 16-25 as the 360 owners are roughly a wider range id say 12-35 but gaming pc/ wii ranges from 3-85 so notice the reason why wii and pc has the better profit margin overall?? they share the same consumer base as well. ok enough of that rant

shio said

theprof00 said:.

Stop saying nonsense. The PS3 is nowhere near the lead platform for Portal 2. It is being developed on PC first.

Hell, even the MAC version has more priority than the PS3 version, because the Valve will probably release Portal 2 as a PC/MAC compatible game on retail (both on the same DVD), and can be sold on Steam for a huge profit.

Exactly the pc and mac versions are priority over any console version and to do what they did at E3 they paid for it cause they got yelled at by their fanbase and also their entire fanbase asked "WTF what about the pc version" and they had to go and officially send people confirmation of a pc verion after sony's conference. But to ignore the pc fanbase would be valve suicide. My 5 year old son plays portal on my pc and even a few mods of the game and hes good at it and even hes anticipating portal 2 for pc. It is one of those games that will sell probably around 20 million online and in a stand alone at the store. I know when it comes out i wanna get it now cause i am addicted to portal and trying to complete it in the least amount of time is my goal. its lots of fun though. 

but as you said if the priority is the ps3 then valve is gonna end up eating it bad. 

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

Rainbird said:

I hope the delay gives us Move controls. That would be so sweet!

That's gonna be awesome

Imagine that shiny ball thing turn into red and blue every time you open a new portal.

most people here are way to sensitive.
Jesus, I love FF13 and I love Valve games (Though, not especially portal because it is too short for me to get all excited about, though it was excellent) And really, I can do other things to pass the time.
I'd be much more pissed about valve not realeasing (ever), Episode 3 of Half Life 2. Than this. And I am. As I think its a possibility.