By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN Wii-k in review

endurance said:
naznatips said:
Kasz216 said:
naznatips said:
Kasz216 said:
See I was thinking that... but is Kid Icarus a franchise? It's only had the one game, then the one gameboy game nobody has heard about.

Also to further iterate on Earthbound... Seriously just play it if you can endurance. People argue who will be the king of RPGs this generation... It doesn't matter.

The SNES is still the king of RPGS.

2 games in one IP do equal a franchise, and the Gameboy game was actually pretty good.

Can you think of any other old Nintendo made franchises that have been dead at least 2 generations?

Punch Out?

Yeah, someone else mentioned that.  The issue is that IGN hates Wii boxing games, but said they were really excited for this.  They think Motion Controls suck for boxing because they aren't 1 to 1 (and I agree with them on this).  

dont you think if the developers try they can make it 1 to 1 controls

No.  That's simply not within the capabilities of the technology.  The Wiimote and Nunchuk are not capable of 1 to 1 motion sensing.  Their motion sensing is accelerometers, which can't get much other than general direction and speed of the motion.    It's nowhere near to the level of ever seeing anything with 1 to 1 motion controls on the Wii.  That technology is just as far out of reach to Wii games as Crysis is.  It simply can't be done.

Around the Network
Rath said:
A true 'secret of Mana' sequel?

that would be nice

@naz
well that sucks i really wanted a 1to1 game

naznatips said:

No. That's simply not within the capabilities of the technology. The Wiimote and Nunchuk are not capable of 1 to 1 motion sensing. Their motion sensing is accelerometers, which can't get much other than general direction and speed of the motion. It's nowhere near to the level of ever seeing anything with 1 to 1 motion controls on the Wii. That technology is just as far out of reach to Wii games as Crysis is. It simply can't be done.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=10854

Although I think that is pointer, not accelerometer.  

Kasz216 said:
Lets see...

Earthbound could still be an option, after all unless your a superfan, you probably didn't know their was a gameboy advance version.

Mario Paint? Though the second Mario Part game was even more obscure then the Icarus game since it was on the 64DD.

Kirby maybe, since we didn't get a true kirby game recently.

Icarus does seem more likely, but i don't know how many times i've gotten my hopes up for what seems like the most likely and then edded up with "Kid Devil Wii Edition" or something.

Mario Paint is certainly an option, and it would be very cool.

Kirby already has a Wii game comming, and we have known that for a while.  It's not an old franchise anyway.

Rath, Mana has never been a Nintendo developed franchise and it's certainly not dead.

Around the Network
Rath said:
naznatips said:

No. That's simply not within the capabilities of the technology. The Wiimote and Nunchuk are not capable of 1 to 1 motion sensing. Their motion sensing is accelerometers, which can't get much other than general direction and speed of the motion. It's nowhere near to the level of ever seeing anything with 1 to 1 motion controls on the Wii. That technology is just as far out of reach to Wii games as Crysis is. It simply can't be done.

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=10854

Although I think that is pointer, not accelerometer.  

Yeah, that has nothign to do with 1 to 1 controls.  All that is is 1 to 1 IR aiming throuch calibration.

Well, what about um... Pilotwings?

naznatips said:
Deegan said:
Punch Out!!! Please.

That's an option I suppose, although Boxing games don't work well with motion controls and IGN has been pretty explicit about their general hatred of the idea of more boxing games on the Wii, so I doubt they would hype one.

Not only would they not hype it, but they specifically said that it wasn't Punchout.

I still think that Earthbound (or Mother, if you're picky) is very likely. They said you'd have to be over 12 to appreciate it. Earthbound came out in (NA) 1995, which would put it at 12 years from now (12.5 if you want to get specific). Kid Icarus came out in (NA) 1987, a full 20 years ago. I'm almost 20, and I had never, ever, heard of Kid Icarus until I saw the SSBB announcement trailer. I had heard of Earthbound though, many times.

I still think it's Earthbound. There hasn't been a Mother game released in the US since Earthbound, which, to me, would constitute a revival.

Come on people, before you say it's anything but Kid Icarus read Naz's post :P.

I'll add on to Naz's points with a few. It's not going to be anything like Wave Race, Earthbound, Mother, Ogre Battle, Star Tropics, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox, etc. Bozon noted that so far when he's heard about a secret game he can't tell anyone about he has no problem not telling people. This is the first secret game that he's dying to tell other people about.

Also, usually with these secret games Bozon will either say what the game is on the podcast and it will be bleeped or Matt will give an obvious hint. Neither happened this time. I would take from that that this game must be something huge and sorry to the fans of the games listed above but a new version coming to the Wii wouldn't be earth shattering like this apparently is. This seems to be on the scale of Zelda 64 or Metroid Prime.

I'm not sure if they specified that it was a Nintendo game so there may be some 3rd party franchies to toss around as well. However, if it is a Nintendo game just go and look at the franchises Nintendo made in the NES/SNES/GB days and see which haven't been made for a while. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo
The only NES games on that list I see are:
Urban Champion
Clu Clu Land
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Wrecking Crew
Kid Icarus
Gumshoe
PunchOut
Slalom
RC Pro AM (as a side note, awesome game)
Anticipation
To the Earth
Cobra Triangle
Faxanadu (second side note awesome game)
Star Tropics
Snake Rattle and Roll
Joy Mech Fight
Wario's Woods

So looking at that list the only possible game that gamers have wanted to get a sequel for forever for is Kid Icarus. Punch Out, RC Pro AM, and Faxanadu were great games that I think should get a sequel but I don't think many others have been calling for it.

My last point is that we should be excited about the people behind the game. Given that we can be pretty certain this involves transforming a 2D franchise into a 3D one that sort of points to the studio. Name a studio not called Retro (well, or Nintendo) who has garnared widespread accolades for successfully turning a 2D side scrolling game into a modern 3D one. I can't either. What better game to set Retro to work on than Metroid's sister franchise?

Edit:  The only other franchise I can really think of that could qualify is Pilotwings.  We haven't had a Pilotwings game in 11 years, which if the comment that you had to be over 12 to remember the game is true and not facetious then Pilotwings could be included.  Some, especially Matt and Bozon (and me), were really psyched about the potential of a Pilotwings game when the Wii came out.  Although I don't know if it has had many gamers demanding a sequal, it's doesn't seem very big, and I'm not sure what studio would be making it or why we would be excited about them making it.  That being said, if Matt and Bozon are acting in a bubble (let's not forget they really pushed Z&W and Eternal Darkness so they don't fit the profile of most gamers) then I suppose it may be Pilotwings but my money is still on Pit.

fazz said:
Well, what about um... Pilotwings?

that would be good